Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Some good natured ribbing about other riders or other rides is fine IMHO - but best done verbally where tone and inflection make it clear it's ribbing and not bashing. Unfortunately, the written word can seem more harsh then it is sometimes meant. (But some are just downright bashing other riders and their rides.)

I don't understand why so many Wing riders feel the need to bash Harley's and Harley riders, especially if those guys are also members of this forum and own Wings.

I also don't understand why Harley riders feel the need to bash other bikes and riders as well.

Anybody on a motorcycle, trike, sidecar rig, converted VW three wheeler, scooter, etc is someone who is a fellow rider, likes being in the wind, deserves my respect and gets a wave as I pass.

I think we do this site (and it's Founder - who has owned a Harley) a disservice when we are discourteous or insulting to other riders and their rides, but especially when we are discourteous to other members of this site (for any reason).

Just my humble opinion after reading a few bike bashing posts. I suppose I will get bashed for this post, but it would be nice if only positive posts were to follow.

Steve Saunders Forum - TheGreatest, Friendliest Motorcycle Site on theWeb

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

TitaniumWing wrote:
Some good natured ribbing about other riders or other rides is fine IMHO - but best done verbally where tone and inflection make it clear it's ribbing and not bashing. Unfortunately, the written word can seem more harsh then it is sometimes meant. (But some are just downright bashing other riders and their rides.)

I don't understand why so many Wing riders feel the need to bash Harley's and Harley riders, especially if those guys are also members of this forum and own Wings.

I also don't understand why Harley riders feel the need to bash other bikes and riders as well.

Anybody on a motorcycle, trike, sidecar rig, converted VW three wheeler, scooter, etc is someone who is a fellow rider, likes being in the wind, deserves my respect and gets a wave as I pass.

I think we do this site (and it's Founder - who has owned a Harley) a disservice when we are discourteous or insulting to other riders and their rides, but especially when we are discourteous to other members of this site (for any reason).

Just my humble opinion after reading a few bike bashing posts. I suppose I will get bashed for this post, but it would be nice if only positive posts were to follow.

Steve Saunders Forum - TheGreatest, Friendliest Motorcycle Site on theWeb
:bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

:bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

It may never stop. Makes me nuts too! I own a Harley & I love wings! i was snoopin' around on a Harley forum & found that "Jap scrap" additude flowing. I told them to pull their front wheel, twist the forks & tell me what it sais there.
Which is "Made in Japan"! I like my Harley but I love the quality of a Wing!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Very well said TitaniumWing you are a true statesman...

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

My philosophy is and has always been...If it has two wheels and sucks gas, it's OK with me

During my research on the bashing phenomenon, I have concluded that the bikes do not participate;) At the last Moonshine Lunch Run, there were scores of bikes of all makes parked in rows, and not one of the bikes was even attempting to hassle any of it's neighbors;)

Research has also shown that riders with negative opinions about bikes other than the one they ride, have a 97.689% probability that they have never ridden nor owned the offending bike;)

My Grandma always taught me to avoid conflict by never having a conversation about money, religion, or politics...perhaps we need to update her sage wisdom with the addition of motorcycle brands;)

The hassles I have received from riders of real motorcycles when I am on my Burgman 650 scooter would be unbearable;) if I did not dust them to the next light or out carve them on the next series of curves;)

The conclusion of my research has shown that life is too short to waste one's time on this silly exercise...I am going for a ride...might take the Big Scoot, maybe the Wing, might even take the R6...Bikes to me are like girls...I like them all:)

JMHO

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Don't matterWHAT you ride it matters THAT you ride... knees in the breeze is all that matters:waving:

I have my wing and Da Boss has her kawi meanstreak... :action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Ditto to all the above!

Bernie

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

As long as it isn't an 1800. :dude:

The inflection is, JUST KIDDING. :coollep:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

You are definitely correct. :clapper:

I think that a lot of us on here that joke back and forth among each other know when we are just having fun, we've learned to use the emoticons to make sure others do too.

I don't care what you ride or really even how far you ride. Riding is the most importantpoint.

If you're long trip is to the DQ for an icecream, enjoy your ride. And if your sites are set a little farther down the road, be sure to wave at the ones at the DQ when you go by.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Amongst my Harley friends I simply refer to my ride as a "notaHarley."

Chuck

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

It sure gets tiresome.

·
Premium Member
5,406 Posts
imported post

silvertramp wrote:
It sure gets tiresome.
I think that's the main point.

A bit of kidding is OK but when you've had a bad day and you feel like a donkey in a whip factory you don't need another cheap shot.

That being said I posted this AM in the Events. Oops, Sorry James.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
what has been going on? i dont usually read long posts on this section.
:baffled: me neither!

But T'wing, if you must and want it...here it goes.....bash, bash, bash, bash..:cooldevil: Ok, thats enough for you:cool:

I'm in the local Red Knights Chapter, we have everthing from Trikes, Harleys, Wings, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Cam Am, choppers and scooters. Old and new.........we ALL have a good time!

Check my sig to find out how I feel. A little ribbing on here is just amongst friends, and I think most know that.

I'm sure there is some that go over board:)

Have long and safe rides this weekend!!!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Amen on making sure we are not "bashing" other riders or bikes TitaniumWing.

As for the good natured ribbing, I grew up in a family of military folks. Every branch was really happy to make jokes and disparaging remarks about the other branches. I have never heard so much "bashing" as went on between my two cousins, one in the Army and one in the Air Force. If I had been a fly on the wall I would have thought there was a fist fight about to break out occasionally over some of the snide remarks about each other's branches. But... when the time came to act, all the branches work together, and defend each other to the end.

That's kinda what I see in the Harley vs. GoldWing ribbing. I know I ride with a group that includes everything from Harleys, GoldWings, ZoomSplats, Dual Sports, and even a SuperScoot or two, and we all give each other He!! over each others bikes. But we all hang together for the love of riding. Also, I know I have been on the side of the road with my Yammaha 650XS and had bikes of every make stop to see if they could help (I have to be honest I have NEVER been on the side of the road with problems with the Wing :)) But I know I too have stopped to assist, regardless of the bike.

Having said all that.... I agree with TitaniumWing, if ribbing, give some indication so there is no misconception. (Or just quit riding that Harley so you won't be so saddle sore at the end of the day and get upset at everything said...:D:D:action::action:;) )

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.