Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How about posting up some of your favorite campground recipes...... something that can be done up in one pot and on a backpacking stove? (You rich guys with the credit cards need not bother with this plebian thread!) Red and I cook when outjust aboutmost of the time, both to save money and because some of the places we go have no restaurants, or at least questionable ones.....

I'll give it a whirl: most of our favorites consist of a base (rice, pasta, instant potatoes, ramen noodles) upon which we dump something (!): meatballs in gravy, canned chili, corned beef, chop suey, etc......

Exotic Beans

- one can of red kidney beans

- one can of black beans

- one can of sweet corn

- one can of black olives

-two cups cooked, instant rice

- small jar of Hot (!) salsa

- hard crackers, or wheat rolls

cook the rice, pour in the drained beans, corn, and olives, heat it up...... spoon into dog bowl plates, pour on a liberal dob of hot salsa, grab a roll, and tuck in! Supergreat when rain is drumming down on your tent! When that happens, we cook in the tent's vestible....... another hint: Top Ramen -- chinese noodles -- are a tremendous backpacking or bike camping food: cheap, cooks in 3 minutes, light, nourishing...... (kind of high sodium, however)...... stow a couple of packs away on the bike in places you don't generally look for food (like in your clothes bag!). Then, when you camp somewhere in a bleak place without restaurants or groceries, you remember your stowed Top Ramen, and voila! Off to bed fed and rested! Red and I shop for dinner every day just before camping.... but it is surprising how often the "emergency rations" get used!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
238 Posts
imported post

Scrambled Eggs (Omlete) In a plastic bag.

Put 2 or 3 eggs in plastic bag, cheese, bacon, ham, onions, peppers...... anything you like. Schmush all together. Place sealed ziploc bag in boiling water. Remove when eggs are cooked. Nothing to clean up. No added fat for cooking eggs.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

snickers104 wrote:
Scrambled Eggs (Omlete) In a plastic bag.

Put 2 or 3 eggs in plastic bag, cheese, bacon, ham, onions, peppers...... anything you like. Schmush all together. Place sealed ziploc bag in boiling water. Remove when eggs are cooked. Nothing to clean up. No added fat for cooking eggs.
There ya go! Around here they are called "Boy Scout Omletes!" I love the things! Thank you, Snickers!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
339 Posts
imported post

CJ, you don't use that recipe around open flames do you??

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Big Kahuna wrote:
CJ, you don't use that recipe around open flames do you??

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
At my age, BK, I don't do anything around open flames!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
imported post

My favorite is to wrap a potato with aluminum foil and place it in the campfire coals to cook while you do the following: Take some hamburger meat and fry it in the bottom of a pot until almost done ( not red anymore) then dump in a can or two of pinto beans, salt and pepper to taste and heat. Be sure the hamburger is broken into small pieces. When warmed sufficiently and the potato (or potatoes) is cooked thru take it out of the aluminum and cut up the potato and add it to the beans and meat. Cut up an onion into small pieces and add to mixture. A bowl of this with a large glass of cold buttermilk just can't be beat. It you thought to make a "pone" of cornbread at the same time you are in "hog" heaven, or "Wing" heaven! Doesn't take long, easy to make and no ingredients to measure! Trail food fit for a king!

Bernie
 

·
Senior Guru
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
imported post

pone of corn bread dont have that over here what the recipes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
imported post

I usually go with the Rice or Pasta Sides in the sachet (or Rice Roni) and add meat, vegetables and whatever I have on hand. That was normal camp fare when I was hunting back in New Zealand.
 

·
Lost on this *****
Joined
·
4,317 Posts
imported post

I'm liking this thread,,,,,,,, sorry I can't add to it. But I'm going to print this and put it away with my camp gear.

So keep em comin gang.
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
60,193 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
pone of corn bread don't have that over here what the recipes
What most of us consider cornbread is made from corn meal, but the methods of making it vary a lot depending on what part of the country we were raised in.

Here is a link to a recipe book that has a lot of different ways of making cornbread.

For me, I like just plain yellow cornbread with a little bit of that sweet taste.

Cornbread Recipes
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
imported post

I don,t do the camp stove thing, usually travel alone. I just carry a small 6 inch cast iron skillet wrapped in heavey foil to keep from getting everything else dirty. and a bowl , utensiles , salt and pepper and maybe a cajun seasoning mix ( blackening spice. )
You can always find a few rocks to support your skillet on.
I then just stop along the way fer the vittles.
One of my faves is pork chop and pintos with sauteed onions , beans cook first , into the bowl ,then cook chops and onions or squash ,peppers etc.and eat them from the skillet .
(stays hot that way too .)
I do not have experience with the compact camp stoves. Unless its wet outside you can always find fuel for the fire.
But I have used foil ,newspaper or wax paper for a plate if a pic-nic table's available.
Sardines and crackers etc(.and beer ) if its raining.
Parmesan cheese keeps well quite a few days. Nice to have along.
Precooked rice dishes available now a days thats easy.
Got to have green olives , they keep too.
Balsamic vinegar is a life saver.

Breakfast is usually cereal bar thingies.,fig newtons hot chocolate.etc.
My very favorite is a steak cooked in the skillet M.Rare of course , to the drippings add some fine dice onions and red wine ,reduce by half , pour into the bowl and add a couple spoons of butter mixed in while warm and make a nice burre rouge to top the steak.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Man, Picasso..... y'all makin' me hungry!
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
agnogel wrote:
pone of corn bread don't have that over here what the recipes
What most of us consider cornbread is made from corn meal, but the methods of making it vary a lot depending on what part of the country we were raised in.

Here is a link to a recipe book that has a lot of different ways of making cornbread.

For me, I like just plain yellow cornbread with a little bit of that sweet taste.

Cornbread Recipes
Saw a guy making "pone" in a campground once...... he had a compact stove and a pot with a lid........

first he heated up some chili in the pot.... then he mixed up a "Jiffy Mix" cornbread dough.... which he then poured over the top of the chili...... put the lid on the pot....

"How's he going to bake that over a camp stove, " asked me.........

He didn't....

Using a couple of sticks, he scraped out three of four hot rocks from a campfire ring... put em' around his pot... put one on top the pot.... and baked his cornbread! On the top of his chili! Man, that man knew his way around a camp stove! Hot fresh corn pone on the top of hot chili!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
imported post

Call you HONGRY JACK!!!

When I go camping with the wife I always plan everything out real well in advance ,,,I write a menu for each meal we plan to have and buy and carry only what is needed . Only extras carried is snacks.
Fresh meats and vegs eaten first then the canned and packaged stuff the last days .
My stomach is not what it used to be so I have trouble with the freeze dried
camp food things . ??? Beats me ,,,,,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
488 Posts
imported post

small paper bag, place bacon at the bottom of bag. add two eggs on top of that out of shell and sit over hot coals on a grill.let sit aprox three minitus. The bacon fat cooks out into the paper and keeps the bag from burnning. No clean up after eating.

remember over hot coals not fire.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
agnogel wrote:
pone of corn bread don't have that over here what the recipes
What most of us consider cornbread is made from corn meal, but the methods of making it vary a lot depending on what part of the country we were raised in.

Here is a link to a recipe book that has a lot of different ways of making cornbread.

For me, I like just plain yellow cornbread with a little bit of that sweet taste.

Cornbread Recipes
Saw a guy making "pone" in a campground once...... he had a compact stove and a pot with a lid........

first he heated up some chili in the pot.... then he mixed up a "Jiffy Mix" cornbread dough.... which he then poured over the top of the chili...... put the lid on the pot....

"How's he going to bake that over a camp stove, " asked me.........

He didn't....

Using a couple of sticks, he scraped out three of four hot rocks from a campfire ring... put em' around his pot... put one on top the pot.... and baked his cornbread! On the top of his chili! Man, that man knew his way around a camp stove! Hot fresh corn pone on the top of hot chili!
:coollep:Sounds like some good ole fashion dutch oven cookin to me, reminds me of the apple/peach/cherry cobbler we used to make while camping:clapper::clapper:
:clapper::11brown:Winger 82
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,038 Posts
imported post

Gads don't you guys know how to spell R E S T A R U A N T ??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
imported post

No recipe ...but try this the next time sitting around the fire with friends ...
Bet someone you can boil water in a plastic cup on top of a fire.. then when they bite take a plastic cup fill it to the top with water and place it in the fire . Ask them what they think will happen . You wanna know what will happen ,, the water will come to a boil , let it boil away and only then will the plastic cup melt and burn up. TRY IT> IT WORKS .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
imported post

If you go to the places that COUSIN JACK and folks like myself go then going to a "reseauaerant" is too much trouble and expensive and too far away .
I cooked for many years in fine dining restaurants , used to own a Southern style BBQ and veg place in ATLANTA GA , called THE SOUTHERNAIRE RESTAURANT so believe me I had rather eat my own cooking than anybodies.
I was written up in the ZAGAT SURVEY . Atlanta Magazine 4 times and the atlanta newspaper once ,the CREATIVE LOAFING and some other travel mags and papers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Gads don't you guys know how to spell R E S T A R U A N T ??
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top