Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi. guys and gals. I have a friend who rides a 2000 goldwing. When he puts the bike in gear and then releases the clutch, the bike dies. Just as if a safety or kill switch has been triggered. its been in the shop since july (day after thanksgiving today) they have replaced the kick stand switch with same results. Hey managed to fing aused ecu and put that in, it ran for about 2 weeks and now back to problem. seems as if its the ecu giving the issues. Any body else have this problem or have ideas? we would be so thankful if anybody had any info.

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

That is a puzzler, I would check the pin connections on the ECU paying particular attention to the ground(green wire) and the ground connection on the frame above the dip stick.
Maybe someone that has had this same problem will come along and have the answer.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
imported post

So the bike continues to run, in gear, IF the clutch lever
is held. Correct?

Could the clutch lever switch be bad or cruise & safety
wires swapped or shorted??

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

My brain is tired, but I think it is as simple as the clutch switch . The clutch switch is normally open and closes when the clutch is activated(pulled in) then opens again as you release the clutch. If the switch is defective and not opening, and making the system think it is not safe, it will die, as soon as you release the clutch, works just like a kill switch and shorts back to ground. If it is dying instantly just as you release the clutch I would check that, if it is dying after going a few feet, something else. Pull the wires off the clutch switch and run a continuity check through the switch, should be open with the clutch released(just sitting there as is) If that is not it, will think about it some more.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

I'm working on the theory that the problem is with the reverse diode assembly. If one of the diodes is bad the clutch switch could give the same signal as the side stand being down. The clutch switch should not matter except to the starting system under normal conditions.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

it will idle all day long. of corse he has to pull the clutch in to put it in gear and then the motor is killed when released. these are some great responses. I am very excited to get with him with all your suggestions. Keep em coming if you have more. thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the clutch switch is working, but only dies while in gear. If the switch is bad, I would think it would die in neutral as well, when the clutch is released..

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am pretty sure what it is, just wanted you to check the clutch switch. Under the air cleaner housing is also a gear position sensor. in all gears but 1st gear you should have continuity through the switch while in gear, in first gear it should be an open circuit as this is tied to the safety switches, if something closes the circuit it does as it is supposed to do and kills the bike.
So a meter and some trouble shooting will find it, if the clutch switch is staying closed that would be it, if not then there could be a problem with the gear position sensor or an shorted wire,, but to check this you do have to go in to the pin connector to determine what it is. The actual gear sensor could be defective also, just have to follow it till you find it.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

does the 1500 not have the kickstand safety feature?

welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

It sounds like its all mixed up here.

There is a safety feature that if you try and start the bike while in gear with the clutch out it will not start, you can start the bike by pulling in the clutch and then start the bike. you could try this and it will tell you if the clutch microswitch is working

There is also a safety feature that kills the bike if you select gear, even with the clutch in and the kick stand out, it will imediately cut out.

You really need to check the inputs at the ECU and see what states they are in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.