Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here's some pics of the trailer i modified for hauling bikes. As you will notice the wheel chock from Harbor Freight is adjusted all the way to fit a Goldwing wheel. I loaded Old Ghost on it to use it as a platform for changing out my rear tire. With a trailer hitch installed the tailgate now will not close all the way to use the retaining straps made for it so I used 2 bungee cords on each side to hold it up. When hauling a long bike I'll use a tie down strap to secure the ramp-gate with.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

A little longer strap iron for tailgate security with 2 sets of holes might be in order.

That way with shorter bikes, you can pull it all the way up, and with longer bikes, it'll just hang out at a little angle.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Looks like a "purr"fect trailer.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
A little longer strap iron for tailgate security with 2 sets of holes might be in order.

That way with shorter bikes, you can pull it all the way up, and with longer bikes, it'll just hang out at a little angle.

Mike
Thought of that already. Since I'm taking it back up to my brothers for him to install a rack on the tongue for a battery box and the winch mounting plate, I'll have him make a couple of new straps at the same time.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Perfect! :)

Now, get that girl off of there before an HD rider sees it and gives her a complex!

Mike

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yea, my little helpers think they have to be in every shot!!:D:D

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Perfect! :)

Now, get that girl off of there before an HD rider sees it and gives her a complex!

Mike
Don't worry, she's parked right behind the house and can't be seen from the highway. Besides,, the new rear tire isn't on her yet. That's being done in the morning.

Also need to get some fenders and newer rims for it.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I'd either throw a belt cover on the scoot, or smear tuna fish on that cam pulley . . .

. . . but then again . . . . I don't like cats. . . . .:)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The thing I like about the Harbor Freight wheel chock is that it holds the bike upright real well and lets you get your tie down straps on without needing a 2nd person to hold it up. Also you don't need to crank down on the front end as much to compress the forks in order to keep the bike from jumping around and causing the straps to loosen. With this setup you can actually get by with just 3 tie down straps holding the bike down for safe hauling but I usually install a minimum of 6 for safety reasons.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

how long is your trailer?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

standard 8 ft bed.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

Isn't that like pulling a manure spreader with a Cadilac?
Only kidding, Hardley builds some nice bikes, it just took them 95 years to do it.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

You will notice that Popeye's picture shows a 1500 steel frame pulling the hog... I hope that was staged or even photo shopped. That would be a gross overload for a goldwing hitch.

Great picture though, I saved it for future reference!

Daveo

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

With my 1100 on my trailer right now, the trailer has a negative tongue weight on it. Once i add the battery rack, battery and winch it will have a slight positive weight on the tongue. it's all in how you load the weight on it that affects towing ability and stability.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster - you'd be pulling about the same weight as the tow vehicle itself. I'd be very concerned about stopping ability, brake fade, stress on the hitch. I still think that picture was staged. The red car right next to the bikes has a hitch on it, and it's possible that the couple on the bike just backed up to the trailer. You can't see the guys left foot.

Maybe Popeye knows for sure!

Daveo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.