Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We read lots of problems with bikes on this foruim. The one thing that happens over and over again is the lack of the history of the bike when a problem is posted.

Year of the bike,how long has the bike been sitting.....etc. would be helpfull when you post the problem your having.

We can send you in allkinds of different directions to sreach for a problem when there is not enough info.

Info is your friend here and there are folks that can help when they have the info:sleepy:

Kurt

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

That is a good point Kurt. Many people don't even put the model of bike in the post or in the subject title. I think the moderators add that to the title when it is left out, or maybe the people who started the thread edit it later with that new thread title edit function.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

This has come up before Kurt. I suppose human nature being what it is, everyone posts differently and that's that.

The pet peeves I have are when members ask for technical help in the test forum. The technical forum is hardly invisible and its description is crystal clear. It's like some members just can't be arsed to post in the right part of the forum.

Hijacking someone elses tech post is another peeve. Just make your own thread for God's sake.

The ones I really detest are the sneaky spammer types, come in and slip a link to their stores and when they get glagged for it they make out like they came over to help us all out. Rudy rumbled one yesterday, a new member linking to a pet carriers store. Didn't even ride a Goldwing. Not much gets past Rudy, and that thread got blackholed quickly.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Not everyone is a mechanic or a bike expert. If they were, they could probably fix their bike on their own. If they just bought the bike, they will not know anything about it's history. If they are not the mechanical type, they may not understand how mechanical things work, and mechanical terminology. Yes, they should at least know their year and model, but the good old days when motorcyclists knew how to take their bikes apart and put them back together blindfolded, because they had to, those days are over. Many of todays motorcyclists have more in common with car drivers than what motorcyclists used to be. I just saw someone asking for a Goldwing with an automatic transmission, windshield wipers, and A/C.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Not everyone is a mechanic or a bike expert. If they were, they could probably fix their bike on their own. If they just bought the bike, they will not know anything about it's history. If they are not the mechanical type, they may not understand how mechanical things work, and mechanical terminology. Yes, they should at least know their year and model, but the good old days when motorcyclists knew how to take their bikes apart and put them back together blindfolded, because they had to, those days are over. Many of todays motorcyclists have more in common with car drivers than what motorcyclists used to be. I just saw someone asking for a Goldwing with an automatic transmission, windshield wipers, and A/C.
Jerry, I agree with you, but most folks when they buy a bike can tell if a bike has been sitting or is out of reg. or non-op dust all over the bike. Most PO's will tell a buyer any problems or how long a bike has been in storage or why they put in in storage or stoped riding it. These things help us figure out which way to send a owner lookingfor a problem when they post.

I do like the auto trans and air cond. though.........:bow:

I at fault here myself. This is the wrong place for this thead.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Gone14s wrote:
JerryH wrote:
Jerry, I agree with you, but most folks when they buy a bike can tell if a bike has been sitting or is out of reg. or non-op dust all over the bike. Most PO's will tell a buyer any problems or how long a bike has been in storage or why they put in in storage or stoped riding it. These things help us figure out which way to send a owner lookingfor a problem when they post.

I do like the auto trans and air cond. though.........:bow:

I at fault here myself. This is the wrong place for this thead.

Kurt
MINE has air conditining:D

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

Hijacking a thread only does a disservice to the hijacker. They don't get the information they need quickly, if at all.

Many who respond don't read the OP carefully and ask for information that was in the OP.

It has been said, "Ninety percent of carburetor problems are electrical."

I like paragraphs, capital letters, correct spelling and punctuation. There is a reason for them. Our language is being reduced to acronyms. I am especially annoyed when something is spelled out then the acronym follows in parenthesis. Then the acronym isn't used in the piece at all. What's the point?

The more information a poster can give the better. Model of bike, the year, mileage, etc. and symptoms. The latter is sometimes hard to describe. "It makes a funny blatting sound at about 500 RPM in 5th gear." The source of sounds is often very hard to determine.

Correct names as given by Honda is very helpful. They can be found by looking at parts fiches. It makes it much easier for those responding to answer with useful information.

Just my $.05 worth, inflation you know.

Lyle

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Not everyone is a mechanic or a bike expert. If they were, they could probably fix their bike on their own. If they just bought the bike, they will not know anything about it's history. If they are not the mechanical type, they may not understand how mechanical things work, and mechanical terminology......
While I agree with a lot of that, it doesn't take a university degree to put the model of Wing in the topic header, or to start your own topic instead of hijacking another one for that matter.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Some good points Lyle.

What is really annoying is a request for help without enough information.
The next post asks for more information to narrow the problem down.
Then twenty or more posts with suggestions, but based on WHAT?

And the origanal poster never makes another post on the thread.

Just my ½ pence worth.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Anyone who has taken a car to a garage for service knows that the first thing asked of them is ... make , model , year , and usually miles. Why would it be different when asking for help with a bike ???
Im especially peeved with the dudes that have just purchased a 40 year old bike and have no manual and havent really done any " mechanical " type stuff before and why does it do this and that etc. etc.
When all else fails , send them to Seafoam heaven.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
And the origanal poster never makes another post on the thread.
I could be guilty of this one although I do try to respond if I think of it..........

It's nice to hear what solved your problem, even if it wasn't what was suggested, but it was something simple, we like starting with simple.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Hello everyone. I'm a Goldwing driver. I was a new guy once upon a time.

I've been hanging out here for awhile(join date 10/2004). I had to learn certain etiquette and decorum to feel comfortable. It was worth the effort!

New folks don't often know about the various forums and data-bases that are readily available but under utilized. A gentle nudge to that info. is all it takes most times. I mainly read and only interject if I have solid info to offset some well intentioned but wrong info. or tosay "nice kitty" to UbarW:raspberry:. Doesn't mean I know everything but I'm pretty good at getting accurate info.

I believe as long as a question is well-intentioned and not a troll, then treat it as such and either help or stand by.:)

Have a good one.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I agree with Hobie. Not everyone think likes a mechanic nor SHOULD everyone. I work on just about everything that breaks and am proud of the fact that I am good at fixing things but it doesn't necessarily make me a better person than someone who can't. I know lots of people (some who ride motorcycles and some who don't) that don't know what end of a screwdriver to hold yet they are professionals in one job or another. The fact of the matter is sometimes people are nervous about posting and sometimes the thought just doesn't occur to them to include certain info. Nobody here HAS to help-as Hobie said you can just stand by.
I like the no hijacking comments-though to some degree, likely everyone has done it on one level or another.
Not everyone communicates effectively. Doesn't mean they don't deserve help if they are asking for it.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Maybe the should be a forum tutorial and a test you have to pass before you can become a member. :cheesygrin:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Maybe there should be a forum tutorial and a test you have to pass before you can become a member. :cheesygrin:
And the first test would be for spelling.
You failed, back to the end of the end of the line.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

BTW: I know my grammar sucks.:shock:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
BTW: Iknow my grammar sucks.:shock:
Don't be so hard on your Gramma!

Since we're peeving, I have two.

After twelve feedback responses, the solicitor declares he'll check 'em all out next month when he gets back from VACATION! Dweeb.

The other is to people that respond to the post. Everything isn't black and white. What fixed your bike probably won't fix theirs. Don't give advise in the form of "this is what's wrong". Most of the time it isn't. Encourage the poster to do a little testing and investigating prior to tearing the ignition switch out over a bad fuse.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
Maybe there should be a forum tutorial and a test you have to pass before you can become a member. :cheesygrin:
And the first test would be for spelling.
You failed, back to the end of the end of the line.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

BTW: I know my grammar sucks.:shock:
It's not my spelling, it is my keyboard is worn out, seriously. All I need to do is proof read. And I do have spell check.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.