Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased a bike lift for myself the other day and after trying it wondered abouta few things. The main one is that I would prefer having the bike on the centre stand to be able to do rear wheel service.

I can get the bike onto the stand but that means rolling it back about six to eight inches and it's further back than I like.

What do others do?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
I purchased a bike lift for myself the other day and after trying it wondered abouta few things. The main one is that I would prefer having the bike on the centre stand to be able to do rear wheel service.

I can get the bike onto the stand but that means rolling it back about six to eight inches and it's further back than I like.

What do others do?
:waving: Hey nobbie: I took two 2 by 8,s and held them up by the lift and marked the lift contour, then build a walk platform two feet wide for the left side of the lift.

I do not ever ride a bike up on the lift, that is just asking for trouble, I simply walk beside it using the clutch to put it on the lift. The walk platform allows me to walk right up with the bike and puts me on the same level once up on the lift and at that point I just put the bike on the center stand.

Then just strap it down to the lift. Strap the center stand forward to one of the engine guards also so there is no way for it to lever off the stand.

Also on some of the lifts you have to move or extend the front wheel clamp. So when you do put a bike unto the center stand and it does move back those six to eight inches you can use the front wheel clamp. Or depending on your lift, you can put an extension on the front of the lift, roll the bike foward on the extension and it will be in place when you get it on the stand.

Then for front end work, I put the bike on the center stand, tie the center stand to one of the engine guards, jack up the front with a car jack, once the front end is off the lift, I then tie the bike down again and proceed with the work.

Hope this helps.

Kit

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Kit,

Some of the things I had thought of but wasn't sure if there was a better way. I didn't think of securing the centre stand, a good idea.

I'll be adding a few extra tie down locations as well.

Len

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've done a couple of things. I've moved the bike forward, once it's on the center stand, by using a 2x4 behind the stand and pulling with a tie down. I've also lifted the bike with a jack and set the center stand without moving the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.