Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone use a bike lift to service and clean bike? What is a good low cost lift?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hey welcome back granto. I wondered where you had gone to. Did you forget your password or login info?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I couldn't get on, my daughter was home and she helped me get on, glad to be back.. I bought a new HD electra glide this spring and put 5000 miles on it.. did Sturgis. Wife and I did alot of day rides.. really enjoyed it.. I more than her... I would love to test ride a goldwing for a day with the wife...

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

granto50 wrote:
This is the one I just received; still sitting unopened on the floor of my new garage....will uncrate it and fill with oil next week....

The price is right, and the reviews are all really positive. If it performs for me as well as it seems to have performed for others, I'll be well-satisfied.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ands/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Welcome back granto. I got several emails from you just saying you couldn't get onto the forum. I replied to all of them asking you for more information but you never replied. In case you weren't getting my emails, I asked some of the moderators to email you too, but you never replied to them either.
What was the problem?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

This is the lift I use:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html

Less expensive than CJ's (look for Harbor Freight coupons too!) and not as easy to use on a bike with exhausts below the frame, but for something with a relatively flat bottom like a Wing, it works great!

My 1100 sat on it all winter long last year while I was rebuilding various parts of it.

Here's an action shot of what I had to do with one of my bikes that have exhaust parts below the frame:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I am not too sharp around the computer, it took my daughter about one minute to get me on. Thanks for trying to help me. granto

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
granto50 wrote:
This is the one I just received; still sitting unopened on the floor of my new garage....will uncrate it and fill with oil next week....

The price is right, and the reviews are all really positive. If it performs for me as well as it seems to have performed for others, I'll be well-satisfied.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html
I have that lift also. I like it very well!
Watch for a sale, and find the 20% off any one item coupons!
I got mine much less than the $200 shown. Like $130 or so at walk in store.

Though I have not used mine yet to lift a bike, it will really raise the roof!

I mean that literally also!
Over at my shop a large section of roof out front had fallen and was blocking my doors from swinging open.
Just a thick heavy metal roof supported on one end by the shop (and some beams that rotted and broke) and the other end on some uprights and beam.

I fastened some 2x4 and 2x6 to the roof, couple chunks of 2x4 across the arms of the lift. Couple 2x6 uprights from lift to roof. Jacked up the roof, propped in place, moved lift and 2x6 for more lift and lifted again. Few times of this and pulling back the roof uprights with a truck for clearance and I got the fallen end of roof from the ground to about 12' in the air. Then with ropes pulled the uprights back over towards shop and set front fallen roof on the shop roof. :applause:

Those doors had been blocked a good while and I was wanting a car out to put a wing in. Never could figure a way to raise that roof back up, was about ready to just pull it down with a truck and tear it apart.
Then I bough the lift for working on the bike and got a bright idea as I was putting it together. Bought about $100 of lumber and roof is back up :cheesygrin:

So like I said, that lift will really raise the roof :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I had my right hip scoped two months ago, pain if slowly going away. I am lookin forward to better days, it hurt just riding a motor bike.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I like that other lift, the jack under the bike.
On my list to buy also.

Depends the work you want to do what type lift might work best.

That tall lift with arms (like I have) is nice, but it blocks the side of the bike a good bit. Can also maybe be tricky to get into place on large wings like 1500 with all the plastic sticking out the sides and crash bars etc..
I did not actually lift the 1500 but I remembered I used my lift to hold up the front end and steady the wing last time I pulled the front wheel.

That other lift, more like a floor jack type, is also good to have. Gets the bike up in the air a bit and still good access to both sides of the bike. Maybe important if your pulling plastics from everything to get to something in side.

If your wanting the bike raised to do a good cleaning the type with arms may be in the way more.

Each has advantage and disadvantage I think. Depends on the work to be done.
I plan to also get the table lift later, I'm sure it would have good uses also to better do some things.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I have the second kinda jack that roll's under the bike and jack's it up. I work's super on the 1000 and 1100. Seems like it was built to fit the early wings as the front pad fits perfectly under the 2 front engine mount's. It is also handy for moving the bike around in the shop or spinning it 180 deg to face opposite direction. I have not tried it on the 1500 yet not shure how it will fit that bike
wilf

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Yep, that was something else I thought about getting it for, moving bikes around.

The lift with arms like I have now, once you lift something it's there. No wheels on the forward legs to roll or move it any. Once weight is on the lift those legs are on the floor!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

I started with a Sears lift that was supposed to be very good. When I lifted my M109R (close to 800 pounds) it was very unstable. Furthermore, when I went to lower it, it came down WAY too fast!
I decided to get a Pitbull Lift. It costs $500, but my bike is worth it. This thing is STABLE. You can (and I have) climb onto the bike while it's on the lift without it being strapped down, and it remains stable. Check out the videos on their site.
I highly recommend a top quality lift like the PitBull.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
That lift looks like the one I bought, I think for $160.
The pitbull? Wow, you got a DEAL!!!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

i too have both the ones listed from harbor frieght...and made plate for the high lift so my bike pipes dont suffer..Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
imported post

I have a Handi-Lift - kind of the original lift that was and is used in bike shops... This is a full table lift that you drive the bike up on... Mine also has side extensions so it's quite a bit wider... It wasn't inexpensive but I bought it over 15 years ago and it still work fine... There are other full table lifts available now that are less expensive but I love my
Handi-Lift...

I don't use it for mundane tasks like changing oil and filter but if I'm really going to tear into the bike, I'll put her up on the lift... One of those moments is coming this spring as I tear off my radiators again for a very through cleaning...

Les

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
293 Posts
imported post

Pitbull is what I decided on and have had it for about nine years. I am pleased with its stability and strength. Once the bike is on the lift, I can move it all over the garage and not worry about stability. If price is a factor, then you should probably look elsewhere but I can't think of a better lift to have and still be able to store it out of the way when not in use. It goes under my workbench when not being used. Great lift.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.