·
Premium Member
553 Posts
20210404_142613.jpg

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,286 Posts
I had forgotten about that extra gas tank on the Mighty ST.....
the stock tank took me way further in a day than I could handle, why do you need it?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I had forgotten about that extra gas tank on the Mighty ST.....
the stock tank took me way further in a day than I could handle, why do you need it?
because a few guys that i ride with have them and we are known to push each other. its also come in handy on a few group rides when guys didn't have as much gas as they thought

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,286 Posts
I can see that very easily.....
I can remember one RTE where I pushed my 1800 to within 3 oz of gasoline left in the tank, IF,
the pumps meter counter was correct.....

we all commented that it was running on fumes when we pulled into a littel 1/2 horse gas pump... literally... a small wooden building and 1 pump that would not work until you prepaid inside.

After that, I now carry a 1 gallon leak proof Jerry Can in the right saddle bag.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
20210407_144900.jpg

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
20210424_140236.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
My first visit to California, went to San Francisco and Los Angeles. Hopefully I'll return, when the Border reopens.
1467332728934.jpg

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,286 Posts
Great pictures, I yearn to fly a small plane again.
Wish I had never sold mine :confused:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,286 Posts
Come to Limerick PA and fly my 182!
I have a few hours in the 182, only rented one a few times.
Loved the C-177 Cardinal that the training school had, this was 1969 and it had the 150 hp engine, so damn anemic, but was it ever a beautiful airplane. They offered it to me for $13k and I damn near bought it, looking back, I wish I had....

the school had a C-150 which was my main trainer, lots of stories in that one, 1st cross-country ( Hutchinson to Great Bend ) I got caught up in an unknown windstorm that just blew up out of nowhere in N.W. Kansas, I called the FAA tower in Great Bend and reported my Ground Speed at 15 mph and Indicated Airspeed at 105 kts.... asked them if I should turn around and go back home, or continue to Great Bend about 10 miles ahead.
they also had a C-172 ( took on the honeymoon ), and Alon Aircoupe ( another anemic useless p.o.s. )

they told me that in no uncertain terms, that I was to continue to Great Bend and set it down on the parking area, directly over where the chains are, that they would have 5 people out there to hold the plane down and secure it to the ground......

The Wx updates looked like the winds would blow until 6 pm or so, this being late spring, sunset was 7:30ish?
They called me into the tower and gave me a book to study, the Rules and Regulations for Private Pilot.....
5 hours of study on that book, and they gave me the exam!
flew home with a completed exam, and a very worried Flight Instructor met me at the hanger....
we finished out the training schedule, I asked for a lot of "Hood time" including full take-offs and landings under the hood, just going by what the "tower" told me to do.... the Instructor acted like the Tower Controller.....
I really enjoyed that, made several good "ILS" landings again and again....
( that proved to be highly beneficial a few months later, I got trapped in a fast low dropping cloud and was IFR for real for almost two hours.
Survived that because the Flight Instructor had honed into me, if you can't see the ground, flight straight and level, and slowly reduce power until you can see the ground....

that was on our Honeymoon, what a way to introduce a new wife to flying, huh?

bought a Piper Tri-Pacer in '71 and installed a zero time Lyc 160hp engine, plus McAllen Gullwing Tips.
Loved that airplane, I could make it dance a song, take offs in 350 ft, landings in 160 ft....
Removed the banjo cords so that the rudder did not affect the nose wheel steering....

will keep that 182 in mind, would love to go flying again.

741 - 760 of 763 Posts