Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local motorcycle dealership today to get a new front tire mounted and balanced for my FZR. While I was there waiting for them to finish the work I decided to look around the showroom a bit... WOW! Prices have really gone up in the last year or two.

I remember looking at Suzki Hayabusas a few years ago, and you could buy one brand spanking new for a little less than $12,000.00... Come to think of it, you could find them for around $10,000.00 if they had set on the showroom floor for awhile. Now they're more like $15,000.00!

The 600 - 650 class sportbikes have gone way up as well... They're going for around $11,000.00 now.... (I'm pretty sure that is what my FZR1000 cost new)

They had a new Goldwing (both versions) for around $28,000.00, and they had a couple of 2008 models for around $17,000.00... My god... I'll never again own a new motorcycle.... I just can't see spending that kind of money....

On the plus side, I love new rubber! Sometimes it's the simple things in life...

I still haven't forgotten the Wing... Here's a shot of my attempts to get it running a few days ago. It's hard to see it sitting there in the driveway and not being able to ride it. I can't wait to get this thing running dependably.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never seen a motorcycle with a "walker" before!

It's pretty handy when you need to change a tire.... I have one for the front and one for the back. This bike doesn't have a center stand.

I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. Thought I was in the General Motorcycle Discussion Forum. Sorry about that. Can one of the moderators move this for me? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Now I am confused :? . Your 1500 has an OBDII port for diagnosis I must look at my wiring harness a bit closer ;) .

I hope you soon have the dependability issue settled .

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I agree with you on vehicle prices. It's just out-and-out amazing.

That said, I've never once bought a new vehicle. I've bought every single vehicle used, and most of them from individuals directly, and not dealers.

Two parts to the picture. A) the price, B) the dealership negotiation games. I can stand neither of them.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you on vehicle prices. It's just out-and-out amazing.

That said, I've never once bought a new vehicle. I've bought every single vehicle used, and most of them from individuals directly, and not dealers.

Two parts to the picture. A) the price, B) the dealership negotiation games. I can stand neither of them.

I couldn't agree with you more. When I was young and dumb, I bought a new motorcycle from a dealership. That was the only new vehicle I've ever purchased for myself. (I did buy a new car once for my wife) Of course, back then that new motorcycle was only $3600.00... Now, that same class of bike (600 sportbike) is in the $11,000.00 range.... :shock:

Now, I only buy vehicles I can pay for in cash. So, I drive a 12 year old pickup, a 19 year old sportbike, and a 24 year old Goldwing... They're all in pretty darned good shape, and I'm happy with them.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Now, I only buy vehicles I can pay for in cash. So, I drive a 12 year old pickup, a 19 year old sportbike, and a 24 year old Goldwing... They're all in pretty darned good shape, and I'm happy with them.

Nice to find a fellow non-car-payment person in the group!!

Cash talks!!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
The good news is that my 2005 wing is holding a good selling price. Not that I am going to sell it anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I can't say that I will ever buy new again. I did just buy a used car, 2012, low miles, paid half cash, took a loan for the rest. The car used was almost have the cost of new.

Purchased a 2001 GL1800, low miles, Great shape, a ton of extras, Paid cash, about 1/3 the price of new and I can still get the same mileage out of it over it's life span.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have bought 19 brand new motorcycles. First one was a 1981 Suzuki GS450L. It was under $1500. Last one was the most expensive. 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, at $5999. But I got 80,000 miles out of it so far and it is still going strong. I have bought just as many used bikes. I have also bought 5 new scooters, most expensive was a 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125 at $2899. I paid cash for all the scooters and used bikes.

I have bought one new car, a 1987 Pontiac Fiero, about $9000, and one new truck, a 1993 Chevy S10 pickup, around $11000.

I will not likely ever buy another new motorcycle, In my condition it would not be worth the investment. Don't know how much longer I will be riding. I do plan to buy one more new car, sometime late next year. Got my eye on the Kia Soul. Would like a new small truck, but they no longer exist.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Well, I bought three new motorcycle, one used one and two new pickups. one pickup was a 1991 Ford Ranger paid around 10,000.00 and the other one was a 1998 Chevy S-10 also paid around 10,000.00. One motorcycle was a 1997 Suzuki Intruder paid around $9,000.00, one was a Suzuki Volusia Paid around 10,000.00, one I still have a 2006 Suzuki Boulvard C-50c I paid around 7,000.00 for this one and last I bought a used 1997 Goldwing GL1500SE with 44,000 miles on it for 7,000.00

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
$6K is the most I've ever spent for a motorcycle, and I still cannot justify spending more than that for what to me is a toy. That leaves me with a few really small bikes, or used. There are a lot of used 1500s around here for that, and one of these days I'm going to just go buy one of them on impulse, then hope for the best.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree that the price of new is way to high for me. I do own a newer jeep its an 2004 paid cash for it. We also have 1989 jeep wagoner our 1986 Honda vfr and of course the 1984 Goldwing. It might be my age but I love the older vehicle's. One day I wouldn't mind having a modern new bike something in the late 90's maybe ;)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Outlaw..just wondering about those new tires for your sportbike..about how many miles do you get on a rear tire for that bike? I have been told most sportbikes eat up tires.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I agree that the price of new is way to high for me. I do own a newer jeep its an 2004 paid cash for it. We also have 1989 jeep wagoner our 1986 Honda vfr and of course the 1984 Goldwing. It might be my age but I love the older vehicle's. One day I wouldn't mind having a modern new bike something in the late 90's maybe ;)

I also love older vehicles, really old vehicles, from the '60s back to the beginning, pretty much anything with no electronics, computers, or emissions crap on them. I have a '72 Pinto woodgrain wagon and a '64 Fairlane, and I've had three '60s VW bugs. Not show cars, these are daily drivers, though they are in good condition. One of these days I'm going to put A/C in one of them so it can be driven in the summer.

Out of all the bikes I've had, my favorite was a 1966 Triumph Bonneville. I seriously regret selling that. I looked at the new Bonnevilles, but they just aren't the same. I like the reliability, but it comes at a high price. They have virtually no character. My '66 was noisy and vibrated a lot. I would love to have that plus reliability.

And of course I would like to have a '70s Goldwing standard. One with points and coil ignition.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Outlaw..just wondering about those new tires for your sportbike..about how many miles do you get on a rear tire for that bike? I have been told most sportbikes eat up tires.

I got about 5,000 miles out of the front tire, but that is mainly my own fault. Last year when I got the bike out of storage I didn't check the tire pressure and rode several hundred miles on very low pressure. That pretty much messed the front tire up. But, when I filled it up to normal pressure it handled pretty well so I kept it on the bike. Then when I was on my trip I flogged it pretty good in the mountains. That pretty much finished it off. The back tire is still good, and it's got about 5,000 miles on it.

I'm pretty sure the tires I have are not pure "Sportbike" tires, but more of a sport touring tire. Pure sportbike tires tend to wear out quicker, but grip a bit better. And then you get into the track tires.... I think you can eat those up very quickly.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I also love older vehicles, really old vehicles, from the '60s back to the beginning, pretty much anything with no electronics, computers, or emissions crap on them. I have a '72 Pinto woodgrain wagon and a '64 Fairlane, and I've had three '60s VW bugs. Not show cars, these are daily drivers, though they are in good condition. One of these days I'm going to put A/C in one of them so it can be driven in the summer.

Out of all the bikes I've had, my favorite was a 1966 Triumph Bonneville. I seriously regret selling that. I looked at the new Bonnevilles, but they just aren't the same. I like the reliability, but it comes at a high price. They have virtually no character. My '66 was noisy and vibrated a lot. I would love to have that plus reliability.

And of course I would like to have a '70s Goldwing standard. One with points and coil ignition.
My 1989 jeep grand wagoner is the newest vehicle I've personally owned. My lost love is my 1965 mustang which I had for 18 years. I had to sale it when the economy forced me to find a new career. I hated to watch it drive away. I've also had a 64 falcon and two 60's ford trucks. I will one day have another 60's ford truck. I'm not a bike snob by any means I like most all of them from sport to touring, cruisers, dirt, classic etc.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I got about 5,000 miles out of the front tire, but that is mainly my own fault. Last year when I got the bike out of storage I didn't check the tire pressure and rode several hundred miles on very low pressure. That pretty much messed the front tire up. But, when I filled it up to normal pressure it handled pretty well so I kept it on the bike. Then when I was on my trip I flogged it pretty good in the mountains. That pretty much finished it off. The back tire is still good, and it's got about 5,000 miles on it.

I'm pretty sure the tires I have are not pure "Sportbike" tires, but more of a sport touring tire. Pure sportbike tires tend to wear out quicker, but grip a bit better. And then you get into the track tires.... I think you can eat those up very quickly.
Very cool bike

My 1986 Honda vfr

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
While I agree with the notion that new vehicle prices are crazy and I have bought several used ones in my time which have been perfectly fine, I think the 1500 wing (and probably the others) might be an exception. I bought one new 18 and 1/2 years ago now and despite the expense it has been the best purchase I ever made.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.