Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im not the kind of guy who likes to showoff riding with no hands. but i've noticed my wing will lean and pull to the right if you let go the handlebars, first i thought it was some wind. well i've tried this several times, different days, different roads and directions. it doesn't pull rly hard but it will not go straight line. while i have at least one hand on the bars i wont feel anything but it if you losen up ur arms, you will feel the left side pulling back and the right side pulling forwards. i've tested this at high speeds. i dont know if the same thing happens at low speeds. what could be the cause of this?, im running new tires. well 3.5 miles on them (E3).

ty in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Most likely just the crown of the road. That is why one has to set the alignment up on a car so it will not try to keep heading for the shoulder of the road. Go try the bike on an airstrip or very large parking lot.

Kit

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I dunno, I try NOT to let go of the handlebars. Maybe one of the brake calipers on the front is hanging up? That might account for the pull, as for the lean.....?? Beats me just a guess. Ride safe!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You could prove whether it's the road crown or not by riding on the left side (with no traffic hopefully) if it was road crown causing the problem it ought to pull to the left on the left side of the road. I doubt it's road crown though. I'd suspect the front tire first or the rear tire if you have much mileage on them. Loose or damaged bearings in the swing arm could cause pulling to the side too. It would seem to me that a dragging front caliper could do it too. Suppose the left caliper dragged. That would out a bit of a bend in the joint between the fork tube and lower slider. It wouldn't be much, mostly just taking up the slack in the two fork bushings on that side. I'm not positive which way that would pull the bike, possibly the right caliper could pull it left or right, it would just depend on the play in the forks. It wouldn't be like a car where a caliper on one side will pull it that way, in this case either caliper would drag on the wheel the same since they are both tied together through the wheel hub. It's what kind of flex a dragging caliper puts on the fork that would determine which way it might (if at all) pull.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Randakk has a tech tip about removing "Stiction" from GL1000 forks.I presume you are working on the1200 in your profile,I would follow that as muchas you can to ensure there is no preloading on your forks and your alignment is correct.

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

I don't know about anyone else but every bike I have ever had went to the right if I let go of the bars. I figured it was me out of balance. If it were a dragging brake on one side making it pull wouldn't a bike with just one front brake have a terrible time stopping straight?

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

It could also be a slight bend in one fork tube. I doesn't take much, probably not even visible to the eye unless you lay the tube on a table and roll it.

Mine pulls to the left slightly, and I think that is the problem.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
If it were a dragging brake on one side making it pull wouldn't a bike with just one front brake have a terrible time stopping straight?
I don't think it's the same thing. For one thing most people have their hands on one or both grips when stopping and one might not notice a pulling tendency during the weight transfer on the hands during braking. If a fork had a good bit of wear in the bushings when the caliper pulled on the disk the disk would pull the caliper forward and cause a slight bend or angle in the fork to lower joint. It wouldn't be much but it might be enough to cause a pull. I don't think it's highly likely but not impossible. I really think the most likely cause is tire wear. Most front tires wear more on the left side than on the right (in every country that drives on the proper side of the road) and that wear might be enough to make the tread assymetrical enough to cause the tire to pull one way or another. It could also cause enough lateral imbalance of the spinning wheel to cause it to precess. Possibly an internal belt has shifted and caused balance problems with the tire. There are also things like the swing arm, notched head bearings, off balanced loads in the saddlebags, a rider who sits off balance a bit whatever. In the end who know?

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

You're probably right Paul, it wouldn't take much and with both hands on the bars it wouldn't be noticeable. Like I said, every bike I have owned did it, even brand new. My 1800 does it, on the third set of tires and it has done it with all of them. If I sit way off to the left I can make it run straight.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Odd, my 1500 doesn't and I didn't notice much tendency toward that on my other 'Wings.It probably isn't any arcane reason the bike wants to go right, it's most likely the crown of the road like Kit mentioned and the bike wants to head down hill. If you get a piece of two lane road without traffic try riding on the left side and see if it wants to pull left instead. I often ride hands off on my 1500 doing things I shouldn't like taking gloves off or some such but really haven't noticed the bike heading in any particular direction, it often needs a bit of 'body English' to get it corrected but can be in either direction.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

Don't over look that the rear wheel might not be aligned correctly.

My bike was pulling to the left. I put a ruler on the rear wheel rim on each side to the frame. Uh huh, about 3/16" off to the right. Made the bike want to go left.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I carry a tool bag in the left saddlebag, it has gradually grown to weigh 22 pounds. A small compressor, tire repair stuff, first aid kit, and whatever else I can stuff in there.

My bike on some roads will try to run down the hill. Some it will try to run the other way. I suppose I never really think about it, and never even notice it anymore and just lean or counter steer a bit.

New tires with correct pressure in them I think are a bit more prone to do that, on some roads.

Kit

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

My 1500 does it also, ever so slightly to the right. Scootch (word?)your butt to the left a little and it's balanced. In my opinion it could be the lateral balance (left to right) is favored to the right slightly due to drive line weight.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

He said his tires are new. Was it doing this with the old tires?

:12red:
Dean

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

i cant remember if it used to do that with the old tires. i think i never let off the bars, the left saddlebag is empty, the right has just a bag with a scarf and a balaclava and some rubber tie down straps. and a small plastic box with some replacement fuses and bulbs. not heavy at all anyway will switch to the other side and see if it pulls the other side.

another weird thing i've noticed is that the front fender has come lose two times. i went to a 1700 km trip and and it was ok when i gotback. next week i went to a small 50 trip and when i got my helmet off i could hear something lose and it was the fender, which was missing one bolt. two of them were just lose. and one of them was 1 CM out the threads. tightened it up. next weekend went the same city and when i got back home it was lose again!

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

Were the new tired balanced when they were installed? It wouldn't have any effect on pulling but if the front tire is vibrating it could be shaking the bolts loose.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

no it was not balanced,because there is no shop that will balance tires here in my city, what i asked the guy who mounted the tire was to place the dot on the valve steam.

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

You can balance it yourself by the gravity method if you can come up with some motorcycle or stick on weights. I like to do this with the wheel off the bike, the axle through it without the spacers that go in the seals so they won't provide any drag and support the axle on stands. Placing the dot at the valve stem is a myth. On new cars they check the balance of the bare wheel and make a mark on it and align the dot with the mark, it may be anywhere on the rim and is seldom at the valve stem.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

i have seen that method on videos and tutorials online, but i dont know where i could get those stick on weights. motorcycle parts stores here dont carry stuff for cycles above 250cc. most of them only stock and sell parts for 125 utility bikes EVEN mother honda.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.