Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven’t ridden Goldwing in 2 years, new hip, new shoulder and 2 other bikes.
Been starting almost every month but didn’t start in over 2 months. When I tried to start, took a long time, had to have choke on, couldn’t get rpms up.
I drained gas which was 2 years old and put carb cleaner in with new premium gas.
Seemed to help.
Is there something else I should do?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Not sure what kind of cleaner you used but I do know you can add a whole bottle of Seafoam to a tank of fuel. I have done this and learned it right from Seafoam. As a matter of fact you can mix it 50/50 and it won't hurt a thing. Get a good dose of Seafoam in it and take it for a nice long ride while you keep your finger crossed it cleans up the varnished carbs. :)

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
Haven’t ridden Goldwing in 2 years, new hip, new shoulder and 2 other bikes.
Been starting almost every month but didn’t start in over 2 months. When I tried to start, took a long time, had to have choke on, couldn’t get rpms up.
I drained gas which was 2 years old and put carb cleaner in with new premium gas.
Seemed to help.
Is there something else I should do?
Thanks

use that Premium gas, or siphon it out and put it in your car, that would be best.

All Goldwings, require 87 and do not perform as well on 91.... it leaves carbon deposits from unburned fuel..... slow turning, water cooled, low compression engines don't like Premium fuels.

pour in a full can of Sea Foam, and it will take care of it.

I am having somewhat the same problems as you....

my 1800 has been sitting since November because I bunged up my right shoulder bad....... going to PT 2 and 3 times a week hurts like hell.

I start it up about every two weeks and let it idle for an hour so that the fans will come on and cycle 2 or 3 times. In my case, the 1800 being fuel injection, I am using TWC-3 at 2oz per tank of gas.

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
For future reference you should use regular gas but it’ll be ok for one tankful. But you should switch to 87 octane. As of now it sounds like you have to get that stale gas out of the carbs and hope the additive cleans out the slow speed jets. There the tiny jets and easiest to get plugged

·
Administrator
24,377 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again,
I am waiting for the seafoam to be delivered tomorrow. A new battery comes Tuesday then I will take it out on the road and hopefully clean it out.
Hope your shoulder gets better fast.
Will let you know how it all turns out.
Have a great weekend
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts