Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GL1500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
My 1989 GL1500 has been parked since covid started. I decided I wanted to get the bike running again, so I got a new battery, charged it up, and installed it. I then put in the key, turned it to on, and nothing. :( I tested the battery with a VOM and got 13.6 volts. I tested to make sure I had power past the main fuse, and I have 13.6 volts up to the starter solenoid. Itested at the fuse box, and have power on the ignition fuse, the tail light and brake fuses, however, I get no power to the lights, the dash, the radio, or anything else. so I am not sure where to go from here since I cant easily get to the ignition switch to test for power there. I am assuming that during the time the bike sat, I ended up having either a ground corrode, or a connector corroding somewhere in the harness, and I am not sure the best way to find the fault. I can usually sort out electrical issues, but typically I have somewhere to start. Still, usually, I am working with only one circuit not working, making the process much simpler to follow on the diagram. in this case, I have no idea where to begin.

I have had intermittent electrical issues over the years, with the connector at the starter solenoid, the reverse has not worked since I got the bike, and when it is cold outside I would have issues with power cutting out on sharp turns, so I assume that there was a slightly loose connection either at the bank angle sensor or the ignition switch, but have never pulled enough items apart to be able to test/repair these.

I guess I have a couple of questions for the group at large, how much would it cost to have a shop replace the main harness, ignition, and bank angle switches if I were to have someone else do the work? would it be a good idea to replace the harness with a known good one, or would it be better for me to attempt to find and clean all the connectors first, or any thoughts on my best path forward?

I really appreciate all the consideration, and thanks for reading.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts