·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all
What is the main way that you all secure your Bikes
Is it Lock or Alarm system ?
or of course is it a combination of Both ?
Then as for the alarm system which is the preffered system to get ?

Thanks
Lance

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I just take the key out.

:?:?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I just have an ugly enough of a bike that no one would want to steal it.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
I just take the key out.

:?:?
Me too...............it not a Harley!

T.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Very interesting question. I have looked into it a little bit but hope someone will chime in with experience. I have way too much into my bike to have an insurance claim cover it.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Our wings are not big targets of thieves. They'd rather pick up a CBR600RR or something similar. Those are good bikes for the racetrack. (Typically bought/sold without titles).

Stealing a Wing means work, mass and bulk, vs. a pick-up-and-toss-in-a-van Sportbike.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Mine is parked in a car port. I worry about components being stolen, as the cb and side covers..... things like that are easy pickins.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

lance0195 wrote:
Is it Lock or Alarm system ?
or of course is it a combination of Both ?
Then as for the alarm system which is the preffered system to get ?
MyLock system is my key.

MyAlarm system is my attitude.

I remove the keywithattitude.

I find that ash1tty attitude works best.

No installation instructions needed. ;)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

I just put the bars in the Lock Position and take the key out.

If staying overnight at a hotel, I throw a cover over it.

Sight unseen, usually left alone.

Likewise, never heard of a Goldwing being stolen. Don't mean I don't think about it, I just take care not to leave the key in it.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Lock it , cover it , an leave a note " That itchy feelin on the nape o yer neck is me lookin down my scope " :))

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

My defence system is the poor brakeing on old bikes.

Is some young scrote did knick it I would just look round the corner of the street for his remains against a tree. The bike would probally survive the tree but his skull wouldn't.

Young folk have no idea how hard it is to stop that weight of bike with 1980's brakes.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You'd be amazed what an infrequent blinking LED will do for you.
I don't even bother locking the forks anymore.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:

Yup ... either one of Rudy's SmartLight units works verywell for casting doubt in a potential thief's mind, as they'll think the bike has an alarm system installed and that it is armed. :cooler:

I don't even lock mine anymore. Sometimes I'll throw a cover over it if staying in a motel, in a less than desirable location. (probably a good 2 yrs ago anyway)

If you have accessories that can easily be removed, GPS/MP3 etc)remove them before you leave the bike unattended for any length of time! :baffling:

In all my years of owning/riding a wing (and I assure you I've been to many places across North America!), I've hadone cassette tape (Flash and the Pan)removed from my AM/FM tape deck, 30+ yrs ago,on my 75 GL1000 with a cycle sound installed.My bike was parked at an apartment building I used to deliver mail to and it was gone when I got back from delivering to 2 other apartment buildings(20 mins)

Dusty

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Rudy wrote:

Yup ... either one of Rudy's SmartLight units works verywell for casting doubt in a potential thief's mind, as they'll think the bike has an alarm system installed and that it is armed. :cooler:
I have to concur about the blinking lite, just a side benefit to the SmartLight that Rudy makes. The main use of the light is to monitor the health of the electrical system, and does it well.

I cover the bike for over-night stops and the LED just lights up the cover, in asmall circle depending on where you install,in a rather subtle manner.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Wine_r wrote:
I have to concur about the blinking lite, just a side benefit to the SmartLight that Rudy makes. The main use of the light is to monitor the health of the electrical system, and does it well.

I cover the bike for over-night stops and the LED just lights up the cover, in asmall circle depending on where you install,in a rather subtle manner.

Depends on what model you have, Steve.

Sounds like you have the Traveller Series. I had that, but then laterupgraded that one to the Gearhead Series, as it has more featuresand love it!

In low light conditions, the blinking light reflects off of the inside of thewindshield, making it more noticable to those walking by.:bow:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Of course it helps not to park it in places like East St.Louis, for example.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

tire joe wrote:
Never heard of goldwing stolen
Neither had I until one of our members had his stolen from his garage last month.....

"Few people have ever heard of a GoldWing being stolen, but I'm sorry to report that our Vice-Chairman's very recently acquired Maroon '07 GL1800 has disappeared from its garage in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire over the last couple of days.

The registration is FE07 OKX, so would all Wingers please keep an eye out for it being ridden or offered for sale."

VIN Number 1HFSC47N07A600603 UK Spec

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Of course it helps not to park it in places like East St.Louis, for example.
here at home, I have to agree with the heft issue. If the fork is locked stealing a wing would be more work than most folks would be in for. That would take planning and most thefts are crimes of opportunity, planned in the moment. this is one of the reasons I do not like to park my bike outside in the same place habitually. If you have a predictable pattern... it is easy for thieves to predict your pattern.

The only time I seriously worry about my bike much is in border towns... Laredo and Del Rio are both on my typical tracking pattern... literally yards from the border. Both are overnight lay-over points for me.

One of the reason I am so partial to the La Quinta Inn in Del Rio, (besides being a nice place to stay,) is they have this ceiling to floor full length window along the entire front of the building. The management there has always offered for me to pull the bike up onto the covered, blazingly well lit sidewalk there... right under the nose of the night desk clerk and about 6 video cameras.

Of course I also have a cable lock... but I only use that down along the border.

Once in Alpine, I was staying at the Holland Hotel and there was a hail storm... the manager alerted me and several other riders of the weather and had us pull the bikes up into the lobby. It was sort of fun... sitting at the bar looking at ten or fifteen bikes all crammed up in the restaurant.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.