Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I replaced my fuel filter 2 months back with a clear replacement from JC whitney. This filter did not fit in the bracket so I just let it hang. After4 shut offs today I am wondering if the fuel filter is the culprit.

the bike dies but starts right up after the stall.

The 3rd time It took a couplpe of cranks so I threw the choke on and started right up.

As I was riding home I thought that couldnt be anything with the ign, nor the battery because teh4th time she stalled I was still moving and twisting the throttle while she was dying . Reving the idles was able to keep her from shutting off.

Now heres the observations. the fuel filter may be shaking and vibrating against something causing foaming. There is an air bubble in the fuel fileter.

If I burd the filter and clamp it in place.

shoulfd that cure the stalling??

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Bike is starving for fuel. Could be a bad fuel filter, if that's all you changed & then it started acting up. The bubbles are caused by a lack of flow/volume. Could be a restriction in the tank as these bikes will run without a good fuel pump as long as the tank is over half full.

Try loosening off the fuel cap first, see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't help take the line off the fuel pump that goes to the tank & see what your flow is. If you've got good syphon flow then check the fuel pump for output.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I have same J.C. filter and works fine,could you disconnect past f/f maybe at pump to see if flow is well?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

It is possible you have a crack or leak that is allowing air into the line. Is the tank full?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Remember that with electric pump that they can fail in two ways.

1. They die and never go again.

2. They die and then come back to life for a short time,Then they die and come back to life for a short time,This can happen over and over and over for months until the pump finally dies for good.

This happens in bikes as well as automobiles.

The only way to eliminate the pump is to replace it with a known good one or a new one,and then see if the problem goes away.

If your bike ran for 2 months with this filter in it then i seriously doubt its at fault

unless you see gas spewing out of it.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Maybe at times the line gets bent in a way that it restricts or stops the flow, since it wasn't clamped. or the filter is doing it's job and is getting plugged up, this filter may have a filter with a finer screen.
Or even some water in the gas.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I would do a flow test after your pump and then look for another area to concentrate on.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I tried the fuel test and results as follows

NO FUEL FLOW. Nothing at all . Pump is dead.
I am glad I was able to get home and find out later .

I tested with voltmeter and the meter showed .20 when just turning the key and .50 while cranking. Is this normal voltage or is my pump not dead and I have not enough power to pump.

I thin i have been getting signals for a while.

You may have seen my posts of my wing not starting well in the morning, lacking power at high end.

This must have all been due to the slow dieing pump.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

All those carb problems were not carb related at all. they were fuel flow related. the pump was bad. Just recieved the pump from RAY AND TRACY. and the bike runs better than ever. No more hesitation.

smoothh as silk from idle to redline.

I do have to lower the idle speed now as a result.

will

update on the first start of the day as starting the engine today would have given bad results.

the carbs were dry.

BIG THANK YOU TO RAYANDTRACY for saving me again.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
All those carb problems were not carb related at all. they were fuel flow related. the pump was bad. Just recieved the pump from RAY AND TRACY. and the bike runs better than ever. No more hesitation.

smoothh as silk from idle to redline.

I do have to lower the idle speed now as a result.

will

update on the first start of the day as starting the engine today would have given bad results.

the carbs were dry.

BIG THANK YOU TO RAYANDTRACY for saving me again.
Glad it is running agian for you:clapper:Your most welcome too.

Now we just need to find the time to go riding togather :action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Anytime good buddy.I got the first round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.