Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi I am fitting a side car to a gl1100 that I have just bought .I am just wondering if any body has fitted a 500x16 avon safety mileage to the rear and a 400x18 avon on the front .i know I will have to fit tubes as they are not tubeless Tyres but they are nice and square so I should get nice even wear of them I was thinking of useing car Tyres but I can't find any that will fit the rims .
Any help would be great thanks
Link for the Tyres http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/safety-mileage-mkii

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The clearance to the swingarm is a problem on 1100's and 1200's

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

Those Avons you were looking at will fit your bike with room to spare.

There are no car tires that will fit the back of the 1100, overall width of tire cannot exceed 145mm or it will rub the swingarm, If you find a car tire that meets this criteria you will be hailed a hero as many of us with 1100'swant to go to the darkside.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

A tyre guy told me they would not take the weight of the wing .
Looks like I might have to see about having a wheel made for the rear .
Could I use a rear tyre on the front ?as I have got tyre in the shed that is the right size

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Again, no clearance to go bigger unless you modify the front end, or the rear end of the bike.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

captaincon wrote:
A tyre guy told me they would not take the weight of the wing .
Looks like I might have to see about having a wheel made for the rear .
Could I use a rear tyre on the front ?as I have got tyre in the shed that is the right size

My bad,:gunhead: I just looked at the size of the tires , your tire guy is right those tires are not rated for the weight of the Wing. Some guys mount rear tires on the front wheel backwards , its been done for years.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the help . I got the bike home last night got a few jobs to do before I fit the side car but I am happy with the price I paid .
I have to service the brakes as they are not working and strip and clean the carbs (runs on choke and very lumpy on tick over) and a good service The rear suspension is a bit soft how much air should I have in the shocks .
It's a 1982 interstate not a aspincade unless it's the same bike just diffrent names for the uk and states

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

I have used Dunlop tires for years on my GL1100's. Now use Dunlop E3 and get 10-12000 miles on tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.