Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Last Year in SD we were on a ride about 250 miles. on the way back to Custer my bike suddenly started to loose power. i turned the throttle and it seemed fo go but started loosing power again, then shut down. after i pulled over an tried to start it again . it started then i went about 500 feet and it stalled. the next day it started up with no problem. when we got home it seemed to be ok. then again it did the same thing under different road conditions. it acts like it is out of gas when i turn on the throttle then it quits. we had a complete tune up and all services were tested prior to our SD trip, the honda dealer when we got back took it for a ride and it did not stall. at a lost and according to the honda dealer we are looking at a lot of money to even try to locate the problem, riding season is upon us and i need some suggestions , try to find out if anyone has had this problem,,thanks

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

If you were on a 1000 I would suggest a faulty Fuel tank cap. I do not know if they work the same on the 1500 or not but if they are not venting properly the bike can get into a fuel starvation situation. Easy to check next time it acts up just pop the cap and see if it gets better.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,716 Posts
imported post

I would take the easy way out for the first steps and assume you got some bad fuel with maybe a bit of water in it.

Treat the gas to some Sea Foam. I would start off with about 1/2 can to two consecutive tanks and see if that runs out okay.

I'm betting you don't have any real mechanical issues.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

rita wrote:
...... we had a complete tune up and all services were tested prior to our SD trip, the honda dealer when we got back took it for a ride and it did not stall. at a lost and according to the honda dealer we are looking at a lot of money to even try to locate the problem, riding season is upon us and i need some suggestions , try to find out if anyone has had this problem,,thanks
Did you replace the gas filter! :baffled:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

What year is the bike? a 97 Mid 90's they have been known to have some fuel pump problems. The service manual tells you how to test it.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

Check the vacum petcock located inside the fuel filler door ahead of the gas cap. It's that silver metal thing with the hoses attached. the diaphram inside can fail. They can be repaired with a kit. Check for leaks, fuel in the catch pan tray under the fill cap. Check the vacum tube on the left side, and of course your fuel filter. You can try and bypss the valve to eliminate it as a suspect.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Id changs thefuel filter before anything else.
check fuel lines for colapse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.