Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had all of the plastic off the other day to "clean up" some wiring. I have added some lights and the chrome switch cover on the right master cylinder. I got a little sloppy with the wiring and also the PO was a little sloppy with his wiring. I removed the seat, the engine covers, both left and right side covers andthe false tank. Cleaned up all the wiring and removed several crimp connectors and did the solder and shrink wrap thing. Installed a good bit of split loom to make everything look good.

Before putting everything back together, I started the bike to make sure that everything operated properly. I installed all the plastic and decided to go for a quick ride.

The bike would not stay running. I would turn the throttle and it acted like it wanted to die. It would just go BLAH. I could not put the bike in gear and ride it because it would die. Absolutely no power. Backfiring like crazy.

Pulled it back in the shop. I thought it was a vacuum hose that got knocked off. (that is how it acted) I pulled all the plastic to see what I could find and did not find anything. Started the bike and it ran flawlessly. No backfiring, no throttle hesitation, perfect running.

Any ideas??? :baffled::stumped::baffled::stumped::baffled::stumped:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You sure you didn't block the air intake when putting thefaux tank back together?

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

exavid wrote:
You sure you didn't block the air intake when putting thefaux tank back together?
At this point, I don't know.... I don't think thatwas it.... but who knows? It is awful funny that when all the plastic was removed, the thing started running fine. I'll keep and eye on that during reassembly today.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

You MUST always make a safrifice  of a (Red) honda 50 to the motorcycle gods upon dis-assembly... Did you do that?? /forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif                                                                ..or is it a sacrifice of a Bunny with a pancake  on its head/forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif ?? I forget   LOL                                                                               SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif            

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Don't have a Honda 50 to sacrifice. The guy down the street from me has a red & white Honda 100 that I could probably get.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

I had a problem with the wiring to the points backby the condensoron my GL1000. If pressure was put on the wires a certain way one coil would drop out. It ran just as you described. I plugged and unpluged them, dressed them up and no further problems

No idea how your bike is set up but you might want to check for loose conections there.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

[align=center]News Flash! News Flash![/align]

[align=center]My problem is some where under the seat![/align]

[align=center](The bike's seat, not mine :goofygrin:)[/align]

[align=left]After getting the harness installed, and not finding any loose wires or vacuum lines, I reinstalled all plastic on the bike. I installed the seat and decided to take her out for a test drive. As soon as I sat on the seat, the bike just went BLAH. The idle dropped from 1040 down to 350 and if I give it any gas, it would backfire and die. I got off the bike and hit the starter again and she purred like a kitten. As soon as I sat on the seat, BLAH, back down to under 400 RPM. I did not touch the throttle this time and instead grabbed an allen wrench and removed the two seat bolts and pulled the seat off. As soon as I lifted the seat the motor went back to 1040 RPM and purred like a kitten. I sat the seat back down and sat on it and it went BLAH again. Picked up on the seat and PURRRRR. Removed seat completely and looked around but could not find anything to cause this. Moved all the wires around and messed around a little but still never found anything. Put sat back on and have not had any more problems.[/align]

[align=left]Now what's your thoughts??? :baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled:[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Clearly Seat Gremlins !!!....LOL.../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.                                             These sort of internal wire shorts are really hard to find, and fix...Do any of the wires look slightly compressed ? Crawl over the whole seat wiring on  a bright sunny day ... I once had a  running light short like that caused by the saddlebag pressing against  the wire... took a lot of looking to see it (as in several days ) ..                                           SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
Clearly Seat Gremlins !!!....
Maybe I need one of those little bells to hang on my bike to run them off...:grinner:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.