Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been seeing a lot of threads about going to a car tire and those who are opposed to it.

My question is this, what, if any, are the advantages to going to a car tire if one can be found to fit? Along with this comes the question of why going to a car tire is referred to as "the dark side".

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Mainly for mileage. Car tires last a LOT longer than bike tires.

As for the 'dark side' reference, that term can be found in many other areas like sports and hobbies. Usually refers to something out of the ordinary, harder or just plain weird.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Oh Lordy, you've opened a can of worms now...:arguing:

To use an item in a manner not contemplated by it's manufacturer is both dangerous and risky to yourself and to others who might be around you if the item fails.

Who do you think will be liable in the event of a failure?:gunhead:

Ok, I'm running for the hills now!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

ON a straight highway more contact, longer wear, cheaper to buy. Issues..mounting has to be perfect, and when you corner you ride on the side wall as much as the tread..not good for traction or the side wall.

try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

car tire: more miles/cheaper, possible unsafe for leaning and breaking in those conditions.

bike tire: expensive and last less miles. safety?, it was designed for motorcycles.

when you're running a trike, sidecar or anything that keeps the bike in 90º to the ground its safe to use.

·
Administrator
26,530 Posts
imported post

You guys just don't know how wrong you are in the assumptions about the safety and traction on curves. I wish they made car tires to fit the older wings so someone could try it and tell you how awesome it is. Check out Kit Carson's dark side thread in the general forum.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

thanks but i think my life and my bike is worth more than a bike tire that's why i always go for them.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

OK, OK ....... I'm sorry I asked......sheeesh, there goes my mana.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
OK, OK ....... I'm sorry I asked......sheeesh, there goes my mana.

The Dark Side exists in most industries with similar rants and raves.

I have to ask how important is safety.

If money was no object would amotorcycle tire be the right choice? Just keep buying them as they wear out. I don't think anyone is making a general comment that motorcycle tires are dangerous. They are just presenting a different option that may suit some riders.

Helmet manufacturers say scrap your helmet if you drop it.

Does your bike have an air bag?

Who's safer, the guy in a tee shirt and running shoes with a bike tire on his wing or the guy in proper riding gear with a car tire? What if the guy in the tee shirt is riding two up and the other guy is towing a trailer?

There are so many variables in the equation that no one is wrong or right so gather the facts, apply them to your riding style and budget and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I suppose since there have been motorcycles some of us will eventually get around to testing our own limits and trying our own thing.

In the matter of using a car tire on a motorcycle it has been successfully accomplished for many years. A whole lot of Harley riders use a car tire and back when I was just a kid it was very common due to expense. It is still very common and some custom built bikes have a car tire installed from day one.

Everyone seems to take the extreme one way or the other on these kinds of subjects, and a whole lot of rumor and untrue facts always abound. In the case of using a car tire on a motorcycle feelings are very strong, and those of us who use one are called DarkSiders as we are stepping out of the bounds of common knowledge. Those who tell us we are going to kill ourselves are normally doing so just on hearsay. Most who yell the loudest really have no experience in the actual use of a car tire.

Many bikes do not lend them selves to the use of a car tire, they have too much of an extreme lean angle and yes one would have to be quite foolish to expect to lay a bike like my sons ST1300 over on the side and pour the power on in a sharp turn, I am not dead yet and do like to play sometimes, and used to race motorcycles. I can still lay that ST 1300 over so far I can take the leather off my riding suit. A car tire under those situations would not be a wise choice. Some other bikes do not have rims designed to hold a car tire and you have the situation as to the tire bead not matching up with the rim and this also creates a very risky and bad situation.

I myself for quite a few years would try a car tire and just not be happy with it, it always seemed to take away from the natural handling characteristics of the motorcycle. I was just not willing to sacrifice the handling. Or take chances.

My letter over on the other forum deals with the use of a car tire on the GL1800. This is a large touring bike and the lean angle even full over with sparks flying off the foot pets is not extreme enough to actually put the tire over past the running edge of the tire unto the sidewall, in fact there is still room to play in case say you run over a hole in the road in a lean, there is still the fact that you still have tread running on the road.

It is just something you have to look at. I did not have tread wear only under consideration, my main concern was safety. And I have adopted the use of a special tire called a Run Flat. This tire lended to use on motorcycle, a large touring machine has many advantages, and you will just have to study it and make your own decision. I have no desire to influence anyone to make a bad choice and to get hurt due to some stupid thing I might do, but I do not consider it to be stupid. With the modern run flat on a motorcycle I simply feel much safer, if they ever design a run flat specifically for a motorcycle, sure I would maybe switch back.......maybe, but I am also impressed with the low speed handling the run flat gives me and also the extreme grip and traction that I get under all conditions. (do not know about heavy rain yet)

I was a nay-sayer for a long time, I simply repeated things I had heard, hey they all seemed to make sense to me, my favorite one was the car tire has no grip on the road, a MC tire has much more contact on the road, I just never fully stopped to find out for myself and actually get into the facts. Actually a MC tire has very little road contact at all times as from straight up to the full extreme lean angle an MC tire runs on a very narrow strip of actual contact with the road. Go out and sit down behind your bike and take a look at it. I just bet you will find it very interesting if you actually stop and look at it hard. That radial tire design is also very needed for proper handling and perforance on those types of bikes. With the big touring machine we do not have those extreme lean angles.

I have no desire to convince anyone of anything, I do wish to present true facts and as I and others gain experience with this situation at this time I do feel what we learn and can convey to others may help present these facts in a true light and not just from hearsay.

There is a lot to learn when one steps outside the norm of know methods, sometimes as test pilots we fall on our face, sometimes we discover that something does actually work very well.

I myself and done with simply repeating things I have heard and assumed were correct. I will from now on always go find out for myself, and as for myself the use of the Run Flat on the 1800 has been very much an eye opener for me. I will naturally at any time if I ever feel it is a danger to anyone step forward and say so truthfully, but at this time it seems I have found a very real solution.

Respectfully
Kit

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Yeahrcmatt007, till my ex-wife hears about and then I lose that too.:(

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

I have to lean toward the darkside,:coollep: After all Roger Bourget used car tires on the rear of his bikes for years before the tire industrycaught upwith the wide tire trend.

As for any issues with tire failure due to the lean angle, Ever had a car with the front end out of line? It will scrub the inner or outer edge off the tire down to the threads. Creating more stress and very excessive heat on that section without failure. Theconsistant excessive heat and scrubbing forces from a car being out of line are far harder on a tire than the short flexingand leaning angle forces from a motorcycle. Thatknowlage alone should comfort most of the nay sayers.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

There are many advantages, better overal tire wear andcheaper tires. But there is a learning curve from whatI have read and in some cases you will have to change or shall I say invest in a different technology in order to try the auto tire on your Wing.

Using radial car tires on a GL1500. I was discussing this with AZgl1500 in March this year and he has an intersting link here:
http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=40471&forum_id=4&highlight=Using+radial+car+tires+on+a+GL1500.

It is an expensive alteration, but perhaps worthwhile considering the expense of our tires in comparison to the cheaper alternative. Kit Carson has an interesting view from an 1800 model point of view as that machine's wheelsare designed toaccept the radial tire, unlike the GL1500, hence the modification.

Thanks again to AZgl1500 for the info

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Thread moved to the General Forum because it is about a concept, not the repair of a Goldwing.

And, Kit Carson already has this same discussion going, but specifically related to using a car tire on a GL1800.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Ummmm, V8 power :D

Nice pilot there too :grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Ummmm, V8 power :D

Nice pilot there too :grinner:
Also does away with the need for the side stand. (Center stand would be impossible!) :action:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

OK, now THAT'S scary.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.