Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just joined the forum and am looking for a second opinion on what I have for choices concerning a pending goldwing purchase.
I know there are going to be a lot of different thought processes on this issue but I welcome the feed back either way.
It has been a dream of mine to own a goldwing for some time, and that time seems to be now.
I have a budget and have been debating about two different bikes.
One is a 1993 SE with 45K miles. The bike is in good condition the only thing wrong is the cruise control does not work. Second owner/previous owner his father.
The other is a 1997 SE with 90K miles. This bike is also in good condition but has blown speakers. Second owner/Previous owner ?
I am very mechanical and would have no problem doing anything to the bikes my delema falls with do I go for a newer bike with double the miles or a older bike with less miles? What are all your thoughts?
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Morning

The biggest problem with cruise on a 1500, in my experience has been the micro switch on the front brake lever. Drive the bike and push the brake switch forward and try the cruise. Simple fix.

Jaxn

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Morning

The biggest problem with cruise on a 1500, in my experience has been the micro switch on the front brake lever. Drive the bike and push the brake switch forward and try the cruise. Simple fix.

Jaxn
I agree, common problem indeed and can manifest itself on the 1800 too.

The first bike sounds a good bet, especially if you can find that it has been ridden regularly in recent months/years.
If either has been standing a long while then go for the other one is as much as I can say, without seeing the bikes. The Tupperware is quite expensive to replace so if any of that is in poor shape that may persuade you to the other one. :?
Hard to choose since both are only just about run in, if they have been looked after well, any service history on offer?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Take my word for it......

Get 1 of each.... a 1200, 1500 and an 1800 and get it over with.

If you love the GoldWing, it's inevitable anyways.........

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
+1 on maintenance record---- would really be nice to know.

My personal opinion is get the newest you can afford. Another reason i would get the 97, it has the stronger Valkyrie transmission. Not all older ones before 97 has tranny problems but a lot less chance with the 97. Guy at Moonshine Run had over 345K on his 89 that he bought new and still going strong.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I'd lean towards the older bike with fewer miles and a known history...all else being equal. If the micro switch at the front brake lever is bad, that's $12 item...I just replaced mine. Best of luck with your choice.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I prefer the 1200 and older four cylinders, but I wouldn't recommend getting one unless you are a decent mechanic and actually like to do a lot of wrenching. These bikes are around 3 decades old now, and have many of the same age related problems as other older bikes, plus parts can be hard to find.

I have been considering a 1500, for the reliability. I'm afraid to go very far on my 1200, and Goldwings are meant for traveling. I don't know all the differences in the 1500s, I would make my choice based on condition. I do know that my former boss had a transmission failure on a bought new '93 SE at around 40,000 miles, but he had a heel and toe shifter on it and rode it hard. Two things I look for on any Goldwing is the heel and toe shifter, and a trailer hitch. Both indicate more than average wear IMO. Plus I would have to replace the heel and toe shifter as soon as I bought it, I hate the things.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
get a red one

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
There is a brass bushing on the clutch handle that gets worn, and might not let the cruise contol set. I doubt if it would take too much to get the cruise contol working. If one of the 2 has a heel/toe shifter, buy the other one.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
AS mentioned the 97 will have the transmission update along with a few other slight improvments made over the years of production .
My daily ride is a 94SE with 192K miles . It came with a heel/toe shift and 170k when purchased . The shifter was changed back to stock the day I bought it , and it's still going well . My project bike is a 93Aspencade which the thranny failed at around 50k .
Regular/periodic maint records and regular use would both be valuable traits .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.