Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For sale bike towing unit. Excellent condition. No need for a trailer with this unit. Have towed my bike shown in picture and it worked great. $200.00 Email me for more pictures and information.

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If you are going to use that, be sure to drop your drive line first. Otherwise, you will be spinning parts in the bike's tranny without the benefit of circulating engine oil.

Although at that angle you will have most of the engine oil at the back end of the tranny.

Might be ok for shorter trips.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

I have done that for thousands of miles, BUT, and it is a huge BUT, that bike had a chain and I pulled the chain off.

I would not recommend this on a bike with a drive shaft except for very short distances.

For exactly the reason that Rudy just stated.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Yeah, we had a heated discussion about this a year ago or so. I had 2 people e-mail me and said they towed a Goldwing cross country and back without any issues.

So it's back to what's bad in theory and what's bad in practice.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Isnt the GW tranny lubed by splash oiling? I know all my smaller Hondas {400cc and under} are. If so, there should be no problem towing like that.

BTW neat idea. I might have to break out my welder! I made something similar to pull broken bikes out of the woods at my club's enduro race. Sure beats pushing!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
Isnt the GW tranny lubed by splash oiling? I know all my smaller Hondas {400cc and under} are. If so, there should be no problem towing like that.

BTW neat idea. I might have to break out my welder! I made something similar to pull broken bikes out of the woods at my club's enduro race. Sure beats pushing!

No, the GWs have their own pickup for the oil driven by the oil pump, and the oil is circulated by pressure in the tranny area. Unless you plan on running the engine while it is being towed, to insure the oil is circulating properly, I wouldn't use it for more than say a 5 mile trip. Also, the strain on the lower forks being pulled on (which is different than being pushed on as when the bike is under it's power) would scare me also, especially with a bike as heavy as a wing. From a engineering standpoint, the front forks and wheel of a wing was never designed for the type of loads (side to side, pulling and weight swing from side to side)it would encounter like this, soit is a accident waiting to happen. I'll take my chances with a trailer.:shock:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Have to agree on the oiling thing then.

However I dont think I would sweat the forks being pulled. Surely one wouldnt be launching NHRA style while towing the bike. The stem, tubes and clamps put up with emergency braking when ridden, they should do fine with a gentle tow.

The only problems I see with that design is that there should be a spreader bar at the bottom, in line with the fork tubes and front axle, and mounted in that line to the hitch assy, to tie off to for side to side movement. Finding a spot on a faired bike to attach the tie downs...arghh! So much easier on dirt bikes!

As pictured, the handlebar tie downs would have varying tension based on the truck/bike attitude, ie going through a depression or over a speed bump.

But I do love the ingenious use of the tongue jack for the wheel lift apparatus!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.