Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do any of you have experience using a trailer from harbor freight to make a touring trailer?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I wonder if you could get one of those small trailers and put you trailer on it? Just take it off the existing frame and remount it.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

There are quite a few threads on that very subject. Do a search & you'll have alot of reading. Most folks do some mods to the trailer to make them pull better.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Lots of folks here have and it sounds like it works great, especially with a few mods.

Do a search for HF trailer and you'll see some pretty good threads with pics and all.

Keep us posted...

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Silly double post....again.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

still learning to use the site, haven't learned search feature yet. thought of mounting existing trailer shell but it is much narrower.thought of car carrier as discused in recent post but he made frame.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Have over 10,000 miles on my HF trailer, with it's second cartop.:smiler:

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I have and I would suggest getting the small trailer with the 12" wheels instead of the 8" wheels, I made mine for not so much cash...Works good, Beenfrom KC. to Texas a few times now..I kept it simple....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I have one that I made.

I didn't do any mods to the trailer at all. Mine pulls just fine.

I used a Sears cartop carrier. I had trouble getting paint to stick to the cartop carrier, so I removed all the paint I put on it. You can still see traces of paint on it.

The trailer is painted white with rattle can paint. Unfortunately I'm not very good at painting so it looks like crap, but it was cheap and that's what I was after.

;)

I did have electrical trouble with it.I couldn't get a consistant ground. I think it's because of the paint coming between theparts. I painted it before I put it together. So I ran a black wire all the way around to use for ground, and I connected it to all the lights.

Iget double duty with mine. I put the car-top carrier on when I use it behind the bike. When I need to make a trip to the Home Depot or any other utility type work, I take the car-top carrier off, and I pull the trailer behind my car. I usedto have a pick up truck, but I had too many vehicles sitting around, so I decided thatif I used the trailer, I could sell the truck. I have been truckless for about 2 years now and the trailer has met all my needs so far. That isone nice thing about rattle can paint, if I scratch the trailer, I can paint over it really easy. But most people wouldwant theirs to look nicer than Ikeep mine.I have seen some that were painted/made up really nice. So you can get out of it what you want.

I have pulled mine about 2000 miles behind my bike. All my trips behind thecarhave been local, but I've used it at least a couple dozen times behind the car.

I have a write up and pictures on my personal website.

http://www.hrot.org/martino/goldwing/trailer

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

The cartop carrier. Swingarm suspension. Goldwing shocks. Pulled it 10,000 miles. Parked it several years. I was done with it. Found a guy in Nebraska who said he would use it. He and his wife actually drove down to retrieve it. I spent an hour explaining to him with a flashlight how it was built. Grease fittings. Axle bearings. Wiring. We loaded it and I haven't seen it since.

Old days in interesting places..

Attachments

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Here's a couple I've built & towed coast to coast a couple of times, The 8" tires are no problem & Bearing buddies are a good idea. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I love mine. Didn't really do any mods just put a sheet of aluminum on it and a garage sale $15 carrier, works great, pulls great. I have heard of some extending the tongue a bit for better pulling.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I don't have this anymore but it worled like a champ the year I did use it.

This is what I have now. We sleep up off the deck! Love it so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.