Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Bike won’t start

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Broke Winger 
#1 ·
I’m new to the biking world.
I bought a 1985 goldwing and was told all it needed was a battery, I bought one and everything is lighting up but it won’t turn over.
all I hear is clicks, so is it the silanoid or the starter?
any ideas.

#6 ·
OK, check at the starter solenoid, power at the battery side then at the motor side with the button pushed. If it clicks when you push the button but no power goes through then it's bad. If it doesn't click check power on the red/yellow wire and the green/red wire. if it has power on the green/red then it's not getting ground, if the neutral light is on then the clutch diode may be bad. Have you tried pulling in the clutch?

#7 ·
I‘ve tried the clutch, but the cable seems moving like it should(springing in and out) it too is either ceased or not connected properly, but there is no power going from the solenoid to the starter either, but again there is power in the solenoid.
Thank you for your help. This is all new to me.

#10 ·
I think its safe to say the solenoid is jammed up. You have battery power going to one of the large contacts but none coming out toward the starter, and the solenoid clicks with 12 volts applied to its coil wires (the small gauge ones). I'd get the bike in neutral, put it on the center stand, with the key in run and clutch lever squeezed then briefly short the two large connectors of the solenoid with a large screwdriver so power jumps across to the starter - the starter should spin. If so, replace your starter relay.

#13 ·
Try jumping the terminals with a screw driver...if it cranks, bad solenoid. If it doesn't bad starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.