Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just replaced the head gaskets this weekend and started the bike and the oil looks good (no milky residue) and stays golden brown. Temp looks okay as well. Problem is the bike won't run unless the choke is engaged. When I try and give throttle it hesitates like it's going to quite but doesn't. The bike won't run at all even if I start it with the choke then back it off. It won't start at all without the choke. I recently rebuilt the carbs and it seemed to run fine initially. I don't see any obvious vacum leaks.

:?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi tallyho first are the plug leads on in the right order, if so too much air or not enough gas have you tightend the rubber isolators on the carbs ect and is it possable the float is stuck

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

agnogel wrote:
hi tallyho first are the plug leads on in the right order, if so too much air or not enough gas have you tightend the rubber isolators on the carbs ect and is it possable the float is stuck
The plug leads are in the right order. I did tighten therubber isolators. As for a stuck float I guess it's possible. Any way to know without taking the carbs off? Just so I'm sure how can I tell if the plug leads are correct. I before I started doing the work on the bike I lables them however I'm not above making a mistake. Thanks.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

tally can you pm me your phone as to many question to type to

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I've tried the following:

1. injected fuel directly down the throat of the carb. No improvement

covered each throat with my hand, when I do this it kills the engine

gave the carb a few good taps in case the float was stuck. No improvement

pulled each plug wire. on the right side I can tell there is a cylinder not firing. On

the left side there didn't appear to be any change regardless of which wire I pulled.

pulled the vacum line off of the petcock for a few seconds. No difference.

I can get the bike to start without the choke if I give it some throttle while starting. It dies as soon as I let off the throttle?

Any suggestions? Should I pull the carbs? They were recently rebuilt. Visually everything looks okay. Accelerator pump works, slides ok.

I'm going to call it a day however would appreciate any feedback. My next step is to just take it to a mechanic. My wife is starting to get peeved with the amount of time I've been putting into this.

:X

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

after you rebuilt the carbs did you sync them

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

agnogel wrote:
after you rebuilt the carbs did you sync them
no. I was going to do that however should I do this with the bike running with the choke engaged?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Do you have fire on all four plugs?

Who did the rebuilding, and with what kit?
It's a 6 cylinder. I believe all six are firing. How can I be sure? I did the rebuild myself. I forgot where I got the kit from.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I set the carb syn screw to a neutral position. No difference. I pulled the plugs. Right side looks realtively clean (plugs are new). Left side is dry but very black. Even if I pull all three plug wires when the bike is running with choke I can hear/feel any difference in how the engine is running. should my next step be to pull the carbs?

:(

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

iam afraid so

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thanks for the help/advise Peter. I'll pull them tomorrow and will be sending them to get profesionally rebuilt. I'll let you know how I make out when I get them back. I'm going to be traveling for the next two weeks so it will be a couple of weeks at least before you hear back from me..

Mana to you!!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

one more question. what do you make of the fact that when I pull any or all 3 of the plug wires from the left side there is no change in how the engine is running? I'm going to get a timing light tomorrow to check if those plugs are getting a spark. If they aren't what should I look for?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

when I hook up the timing light both the left and right side flashes eratically. The right side is worse than the left. Looks like it actually misses sometimes (no light). I'm going to recheck the timing marks. Anything else I should look at. I just want to make sure that it's the carbs before I pull them again and send them out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

update:

When I check the timing with the light it appears to be off. With the engine off all of the timing marks are lined up perfectly. I'm at a loss.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I don't know anything about the 1500s but thought I would throw this out there. Have the ignition pickups been disturbed? It kind of sounds like they may need adjusting. Maybe they're too far away.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

When I check the timing with the light it appears to be off. With the engine off all of the timing marks are lined up perfectly. I'm at a loss.
Timing mark for alignment would be for zero degrees before top dead center (BTDC).

After the engine is running, the timing is automatically advanced to around 36 degrees BTDC. There is no mark to verify the 36 degrees.

Your three coils fires in pairs, and all cylinders fires every time the piston is at TDC even though this is a four stoke. Sort of like a Briggs lawnmower engine.

If one fires, a cylinder on the other side should also be firing at the same time.

If a cylinder is not firing, it should be running like a dog.Do you have full power when your throttle is wide open?

One side of your plugs are black, and the other side is clean? I would say a definite carb problem unless you are running your choke too much. If you think your right bank spark plugs are not firing, be brave and grab the wire lead. It should give you a pretty good uncomfortable jolt, ha :cheeky1:.

You may want to getanother set or spark plugs or clean those real good.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I cleaned the plugs really well. The only way the bike will start/run at all is with choke, so I guess you could say I've been running with the choke excessivly. However I did remove the plugs just a while ago to confirm the gap. they were fine. I tried running the bike with No2 plug removed. It ran fine and even started/ran without the choke. I replaced and it went back to doing the same (won't start/run without choke). I remove the plug again to see if I could replicate but can't. If I advance the throttle it hesitates badly and finally picks up. Sometimes it out right dies. I've verified that all plugs are firing. If I disconnect one of the plugs on the right it runs like a dog just as you said however there is no change if I pull one of the plugs on the left.

k1w1t1m - I've not messed with the ignition pickups. Don't even know where they are.

:baffled:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.