Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my goldwing 1200 that decided not to shift gears.i was blending the rear brakes and after i was done i let the bike idle for almost 1hr and alas the bike wont move after i tried to go for a road test,the clutch handle feels hard enough and the gears shift but the nike wouldnt move.i just bought this bike a while abk and have no history on it.iit has 15 k mlles on it.before the brake job it was fine nut now this.
havent donean oil change or anything on it.pls any help is elcome or if any memeber is a mechanic we can srtike a deal to diagnoze and repairs if need.located in rosedale maryland

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Put it on the center stand and see if the wheel will move,suspect it’s locked up

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
Does the bike even seem like it wants to move when in gear and letting out the clutch? Is the bike running when you shift the gears?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
That sounds like the return hole in the bottom of the master is plugged or the piston in the master is not returning all the way. Crack the bleeder on the slave cylinder and then try again. See if it returns to normal temporarily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like the return hole in the bottom of the master is plugged or the piston in the master is not returning all the way. Crack the bleeder on the slave cylinder and then try again. See if it returns to normal temporarily.
thanks for this,,sadly its the cable type.1984 goldwing.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Post a picture! Perhaps you actually have an 83 titled as an 84. 83s had a cable clutch.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,372 Posts
I must have missed something. He said he had just finished working on the rear brake, why is the clutch being considered first?

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
I must have missed something. He said he had just finished working on the rear brake, why is the clutch being considered first?
He didn't really say if the bike even tried moving. Even with the rear brake stuck the bike would try to move, the engine would labor. He also didn't say if he tried moving the wheel on the center stand, in neutral.
We need better information.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Have my goldwing 1200 that decided not to shift gears.i was blending the rear brakes and after i was done i let the bike idle for almost 1hr and alas the bike wont move after i tried to go for a road test,the clutch handle feels hard enough and the gears shift but the nike wouldnt move.i just bought this bike a while abk and have no history on it.iit has 15 k mlles on it.before the brake job it was fine nut now this.
havent donean oil change or anything on it.pls any help is elcome or if any memeber is a mechanic we can srtike a deal to diagnoze and repairs if need.located in rosedale maryland
Can not understand why working on the brakes would effect the clutch, but I do know if I let my 86 GL1200 idle for an hour it would get quite hot, it likes to move when it is running ( why did you let yours idle for an hour, sitting still ) ? It does not take an hour to warm it up for riding.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Can not understand why working on the brakes would effect the clutch, but I do know if I let my 86 GL1200 idle for an hour it would get quite hot, it likes to move when it is running ( why did you let yours idle for an hour, sitting still ) ? It does not take an hour to warm it up for riding.
Working on the brakes didn't effect the clutch. It was the idling for an hour and heating up the clutch fluid with the return hole plugged. Probably fine again after cooling off.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
In post 7 he clearly says he has a cable actuated clutch.

Yes I know he also says it's an '84.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
In post 7 he clearly says he has a cable actuated clutch.

Yes I know he also says it's an '84.
We had another 1200 owner recently looking for a clutch cable.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Kinda wish these guys would come back with updated information?

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
Yep. A lot of threads die midstream. Did he find the problem? Was it something he did while working on the bike?
We may never know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts