Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Interstatate. I did a bunch of work in my basement, down 7 or 8 stairs, then used ratcheting tie-downs, the engine, and some muscle to get it up the stairs.

In the middle of the process, the bike got pretty hot, like 85% of the temp gauge, but into the red.

Then the battery quit turning the engine over and we had to muscle it up.

Now its up the stairs and the battery has sat on a tender all night and is testing with the multimeter at 12.9. When I attempt to crank the engine it drops to 8.5, but the engine won't turn over at all. The battery is new but it's one of those crappy ones you fill yourself.

I had given it all new oil and didn't let it run for more than a minute until I attempted the stairs (it was in my basement).

Could I have seized the engine?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, when it got hot on the stairs it lost some coolant. Like, a half a pint. But I think it was overfilled because it didn't need much coolant at all this morning.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would be looking at the starter, not the engine.

The starter could have overheated when backing the bike out.

If you put the volt meter on the battery and try to start, what is the voltage after you let go of the button? It should jump right back up to 12. something.

How long was this process of backing the barge out of the basement?

David

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resting battery voltage is 12.9, and it's about 12.8 under load with the headlight.

Whole process took about 4 hours. But I think it was hot for about 30 minutes, but it only got really hot at the end. That was the part where the back tire wasn't finding traction.

Just tried putting the jumper cables from the car on it, no dice.

What tests can I do to see what's wrong?

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I have a 85 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Interstatate. I did a bunch of work in my basement, down 7 or 8 stairs, then used ratcheting tie-downs, the engine, and some muscle to get it up the stairs.

In the middle of the process, the bike got pretty hot, like 85% of the temp gauge, but into the red.

Then the battery quit turning the engine over and we had to muscle it up.

Now its up the stairs and the battery has sat on a tender all night and is testing with the multimeter at 12.9. When I attempt to crank the engine it drops to 8.5, but the engine won't turn over at all. The battery is new but it's one of those crappy ones you fill yourself.

I had given it all new oil and didn't let it run for more than a minute until I attempted the stairs (it was in my basement).

Could I have seized the engine?
That indicates a few possibilities:

1. Battery failing under load.

2. Starter issues.

3. Engine locked for whatever reason (maybe hydro locked)...!!

Another possibility could be "overheating may have blown a head gasket".................!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jumping with the car takes the battery out of the question .
Can you put it in high gear and turn the rear tire?

You could jump the solenoid with a large screwdriver you don’t plan to use again as a screwdriver.
Big sparks?
No sparks?

Does the engine turn over?

david

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Jumping with the car takes the battery out of the question .
Can you put it in high gear and turn the rear tire?

You could jump the solenoid with a large screwdriver you don’t plan to use again as a screwdriver.
Big sparks?
No sparks?

Does the engine turn over?

david
Depending on the car battery condition, cable connections, cable size etc....

Ever heard of a shorted battery (on the receiving vehicle) preventing starting from a donor vehicle...???? .BTDT

Such things can happen.....!!!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
You have a 1200, no reverse.

You had the bike in the basement and then brought it up 7 or 8 steps.

45 degrees up angle, 4 hours, engine running some too?

No lights came on like would if oil pressure dropped to zero as if the pickup was out of the oil pooled in the bottom of the transmission … but the bike got hot?

Bike won't start after using engine to climb 45 degree stairs
Engine will not turn over now?

Remove spark plugs (4) and place the bike in 4th or 5th gear, push bike forwards and let clutch out to see if engine is seized up. You could pull timing covers and use a socket on the crank bolt to check alternatively.

You should have used a hand or jeep winch to pull it up the whole way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so:
1. Pulled the plugs and still won't turn over
2. Will try putting it in high gear and moving the rear tire

@CrystalPistol You said: "No lights came on like would if oil pressure dropped to zero as if the pickup was out of the oil pooled in the bottom of the transmission … but the bike got hot?"

Do you mean the oil light? I think it was on but can't remember. It's on now when the bike is trying to start.

I would start the bike, rev for a couple minutes, then kill the engine. So not consistently over the four hours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just tried to push it in high gear and the engine didn't turn. I think I need a buddy to push, hard to get much momentum, I'm just 5'10.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the engine is seized. Is it just definitely screwed now? Or if I free it is there hope?

·
Registered
148 Posts
If its seized, its a sad story. Possibly lack of oil to the crankshaft. Not good.

I guess everyone should if the oil light is on at all, SHUT THE ENGINE OFF.

A moment of silence for your engine.

David

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have revived a few car engines that were run out of oil and quit. I filled the crankcase over the top of the crankshaft. I then turned the engine back and forth with a pry bar on the ring gear teeth. You would have to use the big bolt on the end of the crank.

Good luck, I hope you can get it turning.

David

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have seen a few oil starved different sized Hondas and to be honest they were all boat anchors

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, where do I get to the crankshaft bolt? Been trying to do some searches but not getting real specific info.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts