Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Geez, the bike was running great. I had finished my tune-up, and re-connected the missing breather tubes on the airbox/crankcase yesterday. Then today, poof, the bike won't start. After charging battery, still nothing. I pulled the fuel line/petcock, only to find that there wasn't enough gas to flow freely without fuel pump (that won't help).

Anyway, the main fusible link had been soldered midway by the previous owner, and needs replacing. However, after discovering this, it still allowed current to starter/headlight/oil lamp. However, all my gauge lights are off!! The gauges work, but not illuminated. Are my other fuses blown? Some of them are 15amp where they should be 10 or 5!

Question: if the fusible link is working enough to turn bike over, could i simply not have enough charge in battery/gas in tank to kick the bike over?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Check all the fuses and then try jump starting the bike. What model Goldwing is it?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Geez, the bike was running great. I had finished my tune-up, and re-connected the missing breather tubes on the airbox/crankcase yesterday. Then today, poof, the bike won't start. After charging battery, still nothing. I pulled the fuel line/petcock, only to find that there wasn't enough gas to flow freely without fuel pump (that won't help).

Mag, I guess I don't fully understand your problem.. Are you saying it won't crank over? Or that the starter will actually crank it over but it won't fire off?

If it will crank over with good cranking speed then your battery is probably good enough to start it..

If it will crank over on the starter but not fire off & run,, first makes sure the handlebar safety switch isn't turned off, then pull a spark plug wire & stick & old (known good) spark plug in the plug wire & lay it on the cyl head.. Then crank the engine & see if you have a good bluish colored spark jumping the plug gap as it cranks over..

If no bluish snappy spark or the spark is yellowish, then suspect a low (or no) coil voltage problem or other ignition problem..

If a good bluish colored spark then suspect a fuel problem like pump, plugged filter, incorrectly set petcock, or other carb/fuel system problem..

JDC

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

starter will crank but engine won't kick over. Wondering if i dislodged something yanking/re-installing airbox?

i will test ignition coils, with ohmmeter, and also for spark as suggested, thanks.

My thought is maybe that power to the fuel pump went (since other symptoms like my gauge lights not lighting). When i was cranking the starter, if the choke was out or throttle turned for gas, it would slow the starter.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

will replace main fuse today, and check others. It's a 78 Gl1000, with electronic ignition put in.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JDC's suggestion to check the spark with a plug is the first check to do, no need to fool with the coils if the spark is there. I'd check all the fuses and replace them with proper values. Since the bike was running well prior to working on it, go over it with a fine tooth comb for a pulled wire, or connector and check and replace all fuses. I always use an ohmmeter to check fuses since a visual check won't always spot a broken one. I'll bet an order of fries (without gravy...) you'll find it.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Disturbed a bad connector somewhere, probably near the fuse box. Those 1000's were bad for horribly corroded connectors, worked on two in '94 that were a nightmare - the wires past the connectors were oxidises so badly they wouldnt take solder.

Get a wiring diagram and see where the gauge lights tree off and start at the nearest connector. Wiggle / poke usually works. If you want, I can throw together a kit to rewire part of it like for the 1200s

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

problem solved! Changed main fuse and found a short in a hot wire to ignition from stator/battery wiring. Thanks! In the process, cleaned plugs and charge battery to full!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.