Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im not a mechanic. Ive tried everything i can think of. New battery, new starter (stupid clymer manual), threw showers of sparks from the solenoid, checked all the fuses i could find, and still cant get the bike to start.

When I turn the key I get power to the dash and headlight. Hit the starter button and there's amarvelousclick that comes from the vicinity of the solenoid. That's it. Just a click. No suck. No squeeze. No bang. No blow.

Please help. I have a great bike and I don't get to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Check the dogbone fuse, by the solenoid. Looks like a flat piece of metal, or a miniature wrench. Replace it, even if it looks good.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Mike. I looked at that fuse a hundred times and haven't thought to change it yet. I hope this works.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Better yet, replace it with a 30 amp fuse setup like this....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

That looks fairly simple. What and where will I need cut and add the wires leading from fuse? Is it just at the screws that hold the fuse?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Yep. A lot easier to get the fuses, too.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks guys. I feel like like a kid at Christmas waiting for NAPA to open.
This site really is a Godsend.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Jfree,

You say your not a mechanic, so just a couple things to think about. If you boughta battery that you had to add the acid to it. It still needs to be charged, before use. It will have some voltage at first but not enough to crank your bike.

Also it's possible to have "Hydro" lock. This is were your floats in the carbs mess up andfails toshutoff the fuel going to the cylinders. Pull your plugs, place your kill switch to OFF and then try to crank it over. Do this outside if possible. If there is fuel in one or more cylinders it will spray out everywhere. Shutoff your fuel petcock, Put your plugs back in, turn on your fuel, place the kill switch to "on"and try again. It just might start.

Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Things to check..voltage at the battery should be over 12..closer to 13 or higher, you can "test" the relay to see it it's bad by jumping across the posts on it's top with a big screw driver or heavy cable..if the starter turns the relay may be bad or it could be the starter switch or the clutch switch(it's a safety to keep you from starting in gear). You can also test the starter directly with another battery, positive to the post on the starter, negative to the bike frame or engine. In all this testing stuff short tries only, with the kill switch turned to off or key off..unless you want the bike to start???

Also take all the wires off the battery and relay and clean/check all the connections. The connection on the starter too can be bad but be careful NOT to spin the post on the starter when you loosen that nut to clean the connection..it will break a connection inside.

Note even if the battery shows 12v's+ idle it needs to show 10v's+ under starter draw..does it??

If you don't have a meter get one on sale at Harbor Frt. for $2..right now!!!

Also pulling the plugs for testing makes it easier for the starter to turn..so it won't over heat..remember short tries..only!!!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

A very BIG thank you to everyone with insight and advice. As soon as I get home from work I'll try your suggestions.
Again, THANK YOU, I can't wait to enjoy my bike again. Rather than just scratch my head and curse.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

Jfree, another thing too...if the main fuse is blown, you won't have any power to the starter solenoid or anywhere else. I rewired mine with a 30amp circuit breaker. If you can't figure out what's going on with the bike after the suggestions mentioned above, then post back on here with ur test(s) results, what u did, what happened, what didn't happen, etc. Maybe there will be a member in your area who will be close enough to come by and help you troubleshoot this. Or, if all else fails, you can pm me with your number, and I will call you and talk you through some troubleshooting steps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.