Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a 1993 1500 SE with 26,000 miles in great shapeand it did start and run great. Now the problem it is it isvery cold here in Green Bay and I charged the battery, is there a trick to this oram I just a DA or what.My last wing was a 1982 1100. HELP:X

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

The 15's definitely don't like the cold and they need a good strong battery at the best of times.If you do some reading here you will find that if the battery is not in top shape even when it is warm the bike will start usually at the point when you let off the starter button.When the starter stops drawing there is more voltage available for the ignition coils.You could either put a heater(light bulb even if it is inside or throw a tarp over it)or try a lighter oil.
BTW Welcome to the forum from Ontario,Canada.-20 F here this morning also.I just store my 1500 for the winter and leave it till spring.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Fatwing Chris
Thanks so much I will do this and see what happens.
This sight is awsome.

Back in the saddle again after 10 long years

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Fooyun! :waving::waving:

The 1500 is indeed cold blooded as Chris said, they also don't want to run well until they've warmed up enough to get the temp gauge needle up to the cold mark. If your battery isn't up to snuff it will be difficult to get the engine running in temps well below freezing. The batteries on these bikes are none too strong to do the job. In fact the battery on a 1500 is about the same size as the battery on an 1100 which has an engine with two less cylinders to crank over. To get her going you'll need full choke (enrichener) and once started slowly let the choke off until you can get her to idle around 1500-2000rpm then ride it a mile or so until the temperature comes up a bit. If you try to ride off with a cold engine expect hesitation and often the engine will die as you let out the clutch. All that will go away once it's warmed up.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Fooyun! :waving::waving:

The 1500 is indeed cold blooded as Chris said, they also don't want to run well until they've warmed up enough to get the temp gauge needle up to the cold mark. If your battery isn't up to snuff it will be difficult to get the engine running in temps well below freezing. The batteries on these bikes are none too strong to do the job. In fact the battery on a 1500 is about the same size as the battery on an 1100 which has an engine with two less cylinders to crank over. To get her going you'll need full choke (enrichener) and once started slowly let the choke off until you can get her to idle around 1500-2000rpm then ride it a mile or so until the temperature comes up a bit. If you try to ride off with a cold engine expect hesitation and often the engine will die as you let out the clutch. All that will go away once it's warmed up.
So how do you go from Neutral to 1st with the RPM running between 1500-2000?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Paul

I'll just have to wait until it is time, (HOPE SOON )

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,188 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Suddenly, very suddenly. Thunk! :cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Suddenly, very suddenly. Thunk! :cheeky1:
Yup... more like GRIND GRIND GRIND SLAM-THUNK! Listen for teeth flying off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I usually take most of the choke off until the bike is moving then add it back in enough to get a 1000-1500 idle until it's warmed a bit. Once it's in gear I don't put it back in neutral until it's warmed a bit. In cold weather if you try to ride it in traffic the engine does have some hesitation inclinations. I dropped my bike in my front yard once on a cold day. I wasleavingin a hurry, didn't warm it up, and just as I made the hard 90 degree turn off my driveway the engine quit. Not much you can do when you're riding very slowly in a hard turn and the engine quits. Down it went all the way to the left mirror. Good news was it fell on the lawn with no damage to the bike, bad news was it also fell on my foot. Took a month before thatwas normal again.

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

foo, my 88-1500 didnt start either, bat. was low, then i had nothing, no power, charger went on default, so i checked all fuses, took seat off, back where fender goes down (front part) theirs a narrow cover marked fuses,(dog bone style) also a relay connected to it. i pulled the relay and the charger worked. charged bat. plugged in relay, and verooooom. started it 5 times now

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Thanks to the Foxy's lapse of attention during the auction at Calhoun I have highway pegs on my bike now. I haven't tested whether they will prevent my bike from falling all the way over yet, probably will, but haven't so far.:cooldevil:

BTW I can't remember if our forum diplomat won the bottle of whiskey before or after he muffed the highway pegs bidding.:cheeky1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.