Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Mine was the only goldwing at todays mission. After being released from standing the flag line in 94 degree temp. for what seemed like a long time in the sun. Got on my bike to leave with the others,and no start. I replaced the alt. a month ago with a compufire and a new gell battery. Checkedthe charging rate after the installand it is over 14 volts. Anyway several members of the gypsy motorcycle clubstayed with me until help came to give me a jump start. Jumped it and it fired right uptook off for home and they followed me to make sure I made it. When We were going past the local watering hole I honked my horn at the rest of the group going in for a cold one. Instantly the bike shut down. I was doing about 70 and tried to restart it. Nothing turned the key on and off several times hoping it would restart as I was coasting to a stop. Nothing no lights on the dash nothing worked. The person I got the jump from pulled over and I jump started the bike again ran fine and I got it home. I have not checked the battery voltage yet but it will not start and I have no lights. All fuses look good. What do you think? A bum relay getting hot? This is on a 93 1500. Oh yea the guys that stayed with me were Harley guys making sure a fellow biker made it home. My hat is off to them.

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

Check the battery connections, as well as the battery. if it will jump start and run then the alternator has to be charging. Honking the horn must have overloaded it to where It lost the exciter current to the alternator and killed everything.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dave. You have to see what voltage is sitting in your battery when it does that. Sounds like a bad ground or just a bad connection somewhere!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

There are a few electric connectors above the left fan (when you sit on the bike) that do not connect properly or melted do to extreme heat ,that you should check. I had a similar problem Dec 2008 and if i am not mistaking BlueWinger had more or lest same problem Jan\Feb 2009.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I too am usually the only Goldwing at our Local Missions. But then I never get to ride the ones during the week due to work, So there may be some then.

Also check that Fuse located to the right of your battery.

There have been reports of hairline cracks that show up in this thin metal fuse in the heat as the metal expands and contracts. Works for a bit then dies under load, Like blowing your horn. It's an intermittent problem that will drive you nuts.

If not there, Clean check and tighten all connections you can get to. Pull and reseat all Fuses and good luck to you.

Mohawk

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Fuse or oxidized cable connections come to mind.
You could also have a bad new battery. They do happen but from your description, it doesn't sound like the battery.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well I checked the battery voltage and it was low. I have it on a charger now and hope to start the bike after it is charged to check the alternator output. I pulled all the fuses I could find and they were all good. Cleaned some connections that were a little grimey. Sure am hopeing the compufire is still working. It was a real bear to get it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.