Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well guys it happenened to me. Friday Aug 26th I was struck left rear broadside while running about 35 mph. Resulting in broken ankle, busted up left shoulder and damaged spleen. After five days in ICU, finally got home and am on the road of recovery. Will I ever ride agian? Quess time will tell.

Thank you all for great info you have given over the past few years to make my 83 Aspencade the bestv it could be. She was a nice machine, clean as a whistle. Obviously needs alot of work but may be repairable if fairings , bags, crash bars could be rounded up.

Depends alot on wife attitude and insurance company payment for damages.

Any idea what to expect on that ? No doubt it will totaled just due to age and parts availabilty.

So I will let you all know if I have a chance to keep bike and probally part it out to some of your needs.

Thanks for the Prayers

Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

Hey steve, really sorry to hear about ur bike and the accident. GLAD to hear that u are ok now. THat's a good thing!!! Hope u will be able to get her running again, or if not, that u will get a sufficient settlement to enable u to get another one! Prayers are with you.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Sad to hear about your accident, but glad you are alive and on the mend.

Please don't stop posting. Remain a member of the family.

There is goig to be a M&G in Front Royal at the end of the month.

You could come in a cage and meet some of us.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Glad to see that your on your way to recovery and not on the way to a hole in the ground. You could always think about having your wing naked. they look good that way. Also, if you get enough money I think there's a few 1800's for sale up here. I'd be glad to help with what ever I can, and I'm only about an hour away. :) Let me know what you decide and I'll see what I can help with. :) Agan, Glad to see your fairly ok and getting better. good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad your ok. If you need anything, Just let us know. i do have a rear saddle bag but no lid if you need it. It would need painting, but that is all that i have extra that is damaged on your bike.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Really sorry to hear about that, but glad you will recover, and hopefully ride again. Bikes can be fixed or replaced. If it was the other guys fault, I hope you have a good lawyer. The choice of whether to keep the bike or not is up to you, but you will lose some of the insurance money by doing so.

25 years ago I had a major accident when I was sideswiped by a truck, at around 70 mph, while riding my Yamaha XS1100 with full Vetter stuff on it. The bike was a total loss, nothing left but a twisted pile of metal. I seem to remember seeing it bouncing down the road like a basketball, several feet off the ground. I was extremely lucky, no head injuries, lots of broken bones and road rash, but not bad enough fro skin grafts. No internal injuries, but by far the worst of it was lots of torn muscles, tendons and ligaments, which never did completely heal. Now that I'm older, I'm really starting to feel the effects of that damage.

Fortunately my sister called a lawyer to the hospital, I did my best to explain what happened through all of the pain medication, and managed to get through to him that it was "not my fault" He grabbed the case, and over a year later, the insurance company settled for over $100,000, of which the lawyer got 33%. That still left me with about $70,000, but I don't consider that much considering how serious my injuries were, everything I had to go through, and what I will still have to go through the rest of my life. It may actually cut my riding time short.

GET WELL SOON!! Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I just ressurected one from a spill a year ago. Funny, I'm the person to tell others somewhat quickly - to walk away and not ressurect the thing. Yet, I did so myself.

It was a mistake. Took me a year (taking my time but still...) and well over $1,000 for a GL-1200.

I'd have been happier to apply that money to a different GL-1200.

Glad you're alive to read this, and - yes - if you haven't figured it out - your bike would total with the slightest bump - so yeah - if you've got collision coverage - it's a total loss.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
imported post

May you have a speedy recovery, and may you soon be riding again! Those experiences are no fun. No fun at all!:shock::(

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
imported post

Recover well and quickly, hope you decide to ride again.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Good Morning,
Can't say enough for the support team I have found in this forum. I'm generally a Lurker, maybe not so good.
Many guys post problems and before I respond to a fix from my own experience someone else is johnny on the spot. Thats why I love this site.
response time from this group is awesome. I am a man of no patience, this will obviously teach me some.

SETHAN12, or anyone else, can you shoot me pm or post me the info on the [email protected] in Front Royal? I would love to try to attend in a cage and meet some of you.

As far as a rebuild, After finally seeing the bike yesterday, a naked wing looks like a option just to keep it as a conversation piece, But I have always wanted a 1500. I'm just gonna have to accept the year or more wait just to get it rebuilt or replaced.
I will surely keep you all up to date.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

Best of luck with your recovery! Remember that quote about, something like, if you get thrown off a horse and getting back on, blah blah blah. good luck

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I'm sorry about the accident and your injuries but glad you are on the mend. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery.

John

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Best wishes to you Steve04 and hope you get well, up and going in no time.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

Praying for a fast recovery Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

Wishing you a speedy recovery also

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Best wishes to you Steve04 and hope you get well, up and going in no time. It is something we all live with but hope we never experience. I know what you are feeling. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. And Yes, I still ride.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

I felt your pain Steve, just went back to work from spending the summer laid-up for the same reasons.

See your PM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.