Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks. i live in ENGLAND and over here we have a kinda biker code where as you pass another biker going in the opposite direction we give a wave and if we ever see a biker at the side of the road we will always stop to see if theyre in trouble and see if we can help. i was wondering if this is the same in other countries. its like a biker community thing. LOVE N RESPECT --DAZ. :)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I've ridden in several different countries and you'll get a return wave in many places even if it's not something they're used to. Some will ignore or not notice you too (even in England I'm afraid).

Pulling over for a biker in distress is rarer nowadays, from what I've noticed.

France is *very* big on the wave thing and because most bikers lane-split, car drivers are quite used to looking out, and moving over, for bikes, particularly in built-up areas.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Here in the US, I think most of us wave or return a wave. Stopping to help another biker doesn't happen as often though. I have seen others ride on past a stopped bike. I stop to help as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Always wave if seen early enough and not using the clutch, sometimes a head nod instead like when sitting at a light.
I will often stop to check on a fellow biker if it is safe to do so, unfortunately it is not always safe or possible to stop.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
Always wave if seen early enough and not using the clutch, sometimes a head nod instead like when sitting at a light.
I will often stop to check on a fellow biker if it is safe to do so, unfortunately it is not always safe or possible to stop.
+1, wave as often as possible, nod when I can't, and stop for other riders when it's safe. Riding the slab or other multi-lane roads, I'm often not in the right-hand lane and it would be dangerous to make quick lane changes for a shoulder stop.

John

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Pretty much the same for me through the States, Ont and Greece.

Across the board 99% of the bikers have been very friendly in passing and grateful when stopped offering assistance.

Ned

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Always wave, and always stop even if I might have to back up. And regardless of brand too..

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I wave when I see them and am not busy with that hand like with clutch ... and I stop and check on them that are alone if I can do so safely.
I don't stop to check on a group of stopped bikes these days, though in the past life as a Trooper I did when seen on interstate highways.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I try to wave. seems in the spring hear everyone waves. but in mid summer when all bikes are out fewer wave. Don't much wave at crotch rockets as they may have a hard time waving.
I have never ridden past a broke down biker I pobly would stop. out here on the prairies everyone would always stop to give another a hand.
In the last few yrs a few older guys have been killed doing just that.

I'm not one big on capital punishment but that is one a person should be put to death a painful way for.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
There is a lot of waving in Canada although there seems to be some class distinction when it comes to waving if your riding a crotch rocket or a touring bike.. most bikers would stop and help a fellow biker in need

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Ah, the old waving discussion :cheesygrin:... I wave everytime I see another biker as long it's safe to do so and I catch them in time. Out here though, it has been my experience that most harley riders won't wave back, although some do. Funny enough, it's mostly the guys without helmets that don't wave and the ones with helmets that DO. I've only had two crotch rocket riders wave in the two years I've been riding.

As far as stopping, same story. I've stopped a couple times (actually 3 that I can think of) for crotch rocket riders (only one's I've seen broken down) and the attitude I got was almost like their egos were too big to admit they needed/wanted help.

One guy at a gas station with a ninja had gas pouring out all over the pavement, I was in my truck with a heap of tools. I asked if he needed a hand, he looked at the bike, looked at me, and said "no, I got it, it happens all the time, just need to get my wife down here with my tools" :shock:. I'm not sure which was worse, the fact that he has that kind of fuel leak on a regular basis or the fact that he turned down access to tools then and there and opted to wait for his wife which he hadn't even called yet just because he couldn't accept the help.

Another guy, clearly out of gas on the side of the freeway, same thing, said "no, my wife's on the way". About an hour later I was on my way home and saw the same guy walking back to the bike with a gas can... nearst gas station was 3 miles away :thumbsdown:.

Oh well, I tried...

·
Registered
33 Posts
One thing I've noticed over the years and miles is that some Harley guys won't wave at anyone not riding an HD. A lot of the rocket guys don't wave either.

Other than that, it's pretty much universal.

As to the stopping to aid, it's hit and miss. I've done it. It's also geographical depending on the area you might be in. Where I'm from, people tend to offer aid to stranded motorists more readily than some other places, both car and bike situations

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
My family has laughed at me being the traveling mechanic. I never could pass by someone that looked broken down on the side of the road without stopping to see if they were okay or needed help. It's not such a big deal nowadays with nearly everyone having a cell phone. Sometimes like once in Florida it's kind of comical. My family and I were touring in the cage in Florida when we stopped because a 3/4 ton pick up with duallies was on the side of the Everglades highway with a flat front tire and a Hispanic family standing there looking at it. I stopped to see what they needed and found they didn't have a jack and couldn't get the lug nuts loose. I had a jack and a piece of pipe for a cheater for my 1/2" breaker bar so we got the truck up and the outer dually off. It took a lot of palaver with them and the woman who hangs around here to convince them I could put the good rear wheel on the front of the truck and they could get by to the nearest tire repair place with only one wheel on the back side. Anyway they tried to give up some money which we didn't take and headed off down the road. It took me a bit of time cleaning up and we headed on down the road. About ten miles down the road we saw the same truck pulled over. "Oh no, I thought something else went wrong," but it was the same folks helping an old lady putting her spare on her car. Passing it along for good karma!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I usually wave. Stop when it's safe, but stopping for Harleys with a metric toolkit kind of pointless and besides, there are so many broken down, you'd never get anywhere!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
+1, wave as often as possible, nod when I can't, and stop for other riders when it's safe. Riding the slab or other multi-lane roads, I'm often not in the right-hand lane and it would be dangerous to make quick lane changes for a shoulder stop.

John

+2

Exactly John.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.