Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got the CycleGear catalogue in the mail, and they have a new store-brand, BILT.

Looks like they're cutting out the middle-man and having the Pakistan factories make it directly for them.

Helmets with pop down/up "integrated sunglasses" for $99.
Basic full-face helmets for $60.
Touring-grade "Typhoon" jackets for $100.
One-piece leather tracksuits for $300.

Anyone seen the stuff in person? If they keep their prices like this I can see it having an impact in the gear marketplace.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I got a set of Frank Thomas riding jacket and gloves from cycle gear, both in mesh and leather when I started riding last year. I remember when I first saw this bilt brand I thought it looked really familiar. I went down antook a look at it and I'm pretty well convinced they're made by the same folks. Not that that's a bad thing, I've been pleased with my gear.

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
imported post

I have the Bilt modular helmet. The ventilation could be a little better, but it works. The road noise isn't bad. At least below 85. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Funny How these guys manufacture for different folks then have their own brand. If folks recall a few years ago COSTCO was selling the Hammerhead Huge tool Boxes..stainless steel for less then 800 bucks. Hammerhead sued...they changed the tagging to CSPS then eliminated the roll around one all together and now just sell the smaller ones. Hammerhead sold the exact same box for 5 grand. I purchased one from a Costco but had to go to another store to pick it up because it was the last store to have one. Paid 700 bucks for it.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I've been wearing a pair of their Bilt boots for the past season, they're comfortable for riding and walking, and waterproof as well. I rode through 95+ degree heat, and they're good down to about 50 degrees. Below that I put a pair of heated insoles in them and they're fine. Good boots, and cheap!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

I have a couple of their helmets, a hi-viz vest and a waterproof jacket w/ liner - it's all good stuff, does what it's supposed to - keeps me warm/dry/protected - it's not top of the line stuff, but then again, I'm not in a position (or body size/shape) to spend $3k on a leather riding suit. It's worth what you pay for it, and it all seems solidly... pardon the expression... bilt...

The service is great too. the first modular helmet I bought had a cupla screws loose (not me, the helmet... ok... the helmet too) - I took it in, they said no problem. Handed me a brand spanking new helmet. they have great service and I am a frequent customer.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I found cycle gear in phoenix, az. Good prices, for the items.

I bought my shoei helmet fron them after trying out about a dozen differnt models and sizes.

I would recommend them to anybody, but like all things I would go physically see and try on the wearables.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

I found the store up close to Atlanta when the sife and I went looking for shoes for my pretty feet. I relly like the modular helment that they had for 99.00 . I still not got back to look some more. Then got the catalog the other day and I can put it down.. I got to go spend a little change with them. It 65 miles from me, so that a ride.:cheesygrin:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I've been to the local one several times, and when I was looking at some of the BILT stuff, and I guess it would be OK for some, but when I was looking for boots, I like the engineer/Harley style, but didn't care for the thin smooth soles of the BILT boots in that style, so I had to go buy something a lot more sturdier. I like to save a buck too, but there are some thingsI won't compromise on, and that are my boots.:waving:

Gene:action:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I just bought myself a jacket, and my daughter a non modular full face helmet for the Mesa, AZ Cycle Gear, both the Bilt brand. Seems ok, definitely not top of the line, but I could never afford that anyway. Will see how it holds up. Reasonably priced gear is definitely something the motorcycling world needs.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

i looked into buying some of the harness boots and debated for abot thirty minutes. finally it came down to the fact that the sole was glued on, not stitched and also like glester wrote the sole was thin and smooth. i like it to have a little bite.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

I have two of the modular helmets, like the flip up face and pop down shades, was 199.99 on sale at 99.99. having trouble installing the old intercom sets though. use there gloves, returned one pair as they fell apart ,this pair lasting good but almost time for a winter pair(though today around 70's so no hurry).

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

I purchased a pair of their summer gloves back in July. I think I paid $15. The selling point for me was they had a tag on them saying the gloves came with a 5 year guarantee. A month later the material between your thumb & fore finger was completly wore thru. I returned the gloves with the tag & my receipt & my money was returned. CycleGear will stand behind their products, but some are still junk. Buyer beware. My $00.02....-Rich

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Last summer I was looking for a new helmet. I wanted a flip face helmet. I stopped a Cycle Gear and Looked at the Bilt helmet.
I really liked the price, but they didn't have a selection of colors. It was only available in black and gray. I really wanted a white helmet so I passed on that one and ended up getting something different. But if I had been flexible on the color, I would probably own one right now.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

I have the modular helmet with shade. Bought a 3-quarter helmet for my teenage daughter. Also bought some Freeze-out gear at great prices. Very happy with the company and I like having one nearby to see the products before buying.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

We have the Bilt undergarments as well as the Typhoon jackets. Best value for the money in a long time. The waterproof gloves were a washout,so to speak,warm and dry yes, but clumsy and awkward when soaked. Will be purchasing some of their mesh armored pants this spring.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I bought a pair of their waterproof boots. They were way too small for the size so I sent them back. Seemed like decent boots for the price.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I just bought some of the Bilt gloves and the boots. I wear a size 12 Bilt boot. My real shoe size is 10 and a half but for $50. they'll do for a while. The soles are thin and the heels are too high as well. (Similiar to an old girlfriend i once had!):ROFL:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Haven't tried the Bilt stuff yet, but buy a lot at local cyclegear store. I was kinda glad they dropped a lot of other brands, 'cuz I made out like a bandit. I had a Motoboss Airspeed jacket that was normally $149, got it for $59. When they started the Bilt switchover, I picked up the exact same jacket in a different color for $9.97! Worth checking their closeout rack-frequently have some great stuff there cheap!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.