Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had a problem on two rides recently .The first time it happened i was two up in heavy slow moving traffic . The bike (92 1500) started getting hard to move , needing lots of revs & clutch slipping :shock:. After a few stalls & restarts accompanied by angry looks from car drivers i tried to move very uncooprative bike across two lanes to the hard shoulder . Now with a dead bike!:walker: Result lifted home on the back of an AA truck.At home dead bike was miraculously brought back to life by reseting the kill switch !!!!!!!!:gunhead:

On the second run the origonal problem reappeared within a couple of miles, to say i was pissed of was putting it mildly , i'd an important appointmentto get to. Problem was getting power from the engine to the back wheel ? Any way after five minutes it was going again ? Two stoppages later CLICK:jumper:the back brake must be binding on causing heat to expand the rotor causing more heating etc etc. SO SIMPLE :baffled:when you have time to think .

Stripped the rear caliper to findthe pistons corroded , new ones on the way. Back on the road soon.:D

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Well done, nice to see you got it sorted before burning out the clutch! :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

altax wrote:
. Now with a dead bike!:walker: Result lifted home on the back of an AA truck.At home dead bike was miraculously brought back to life by reseting the kill switch !!!!!!!!:gunhead:Two stoppages later CLICK:jumper:the back brake must be binding on causing heat to expand the rotor causing more heating etc etc. SO SIMPLE :baffled:when you have time to think .

Stripped the rear caliper to findthe pistons corroded , new ones on the way. Back on the road soon.:D
Welcome to the Kill Switch Brigade! This elite group has many members a you can see at:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=936&forum_id=4&highlight=fool%27s+paradise

Make sure you calipers can move easily on their mounting bolts, since the pistons managed to corrode so badly, it's likely the sleeve on the lower caliper mounting bolt has frozen too. If this happens you'll have poor braking and possibly a repeat of your previous problem. If you do a search on brakes you'll find a lot of info on that subject.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks exavid but sliders seem fine just the pistons coroded, no point trying to clean them for the price of 2 pistons

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

True, if they're roughed up with corrosion they really aren't worth cleaning up. Any pitting will quickly eat up the seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.