Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On my 2010 GL-1800 after you pull of the back fender to get the tire and wheel off is a black box with a hose attached to it so any water that gets inside will drain out. Inside that black box is a BIG control module with a bundle of wires going to it. What does this electrical box control and if it goes bad what will happen. The reason I ask is apparently the hose was clogged and this black box was 1/2 full of water. I need to know what I am in for and would it be covered under warrantee

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure on the 2010 but on my 2004 it is the ABS controller. I'm not sure where the stereo amplifier box is on the 2010, but is it possible that is what you are looking at??

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

So if this thing is not working properly what should I be experiencing. Lock up, no brakes, poor stopping power , etc. If it's the stero I'm assuming this means no AM, FM or Satatlite radio neither. How about intercom.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

It is the amplifier for the bikes audio system, fitted on Premium Audio and upward models from 2006.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Okay when this goes all the stero goes. I'll check tonight to see if this is why I was having some issue with RF feedback into my helmet from the radio and sometime the intercom would act up upon throatle up amd then all would be well. Thanks

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Okay when this goes all the stero goes. I'll check tonight to see if this is why I was having some issue with RF feedback into my helmet from the radio and sometime the intercom would act up upon throatle up amd then all would be well. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

That's te audio amplifier for the premium audio, when it goes..you'll smell smoke. I wouldn't worry much about it really, I've been inside that box and if I recall correctly it is very well sealed/potted in epoxy etc.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you very much. I just went out to the bike and checked the intercom, sat radio, AM, FM etc and it all seems to be working juts fine.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Has anyone picked up the rear end of this GL-1800 with a cherry picker while it was attached to the rear crash bars with a spreader bar in order to get the tire back on. It is now on its center stand with the front wheel off while the front forks are being held up by a transmission jack. I'm a little fearful to drop the nose to much since I feel the center stand will colapse so I put two jacks stand under the two rear crash in case it does as I lower the nose to give me 6" more clearnce to roll the tire in from the back under that black box I previously mentions. Anyone done this before.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

When working with it on center stand, run a ratcheting strap (or similar) between center stand and engine guard to keep the stand from folding. Cherry picker with spreader bars? Not sure how you'd rig that, this is a single sided swing arm. Only place that would accomodate that is under the saddle bags and I strongly advise against that. It's gauranteed to ruin alot of bodywork. If you are able to hold off on the rear tire until the front is back in place, many here have found that the best access to the rear tire on an 1800 is gained by laying her down on the right side (no kidding) no body damage and it saves effort (plus you can learn the trick for picking up a 900 pound bike.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Er4FFEQ8I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUcGe-EcBy8

believe it or not the only things that touch down are the case guard and the rear guard just behind the passanger boards.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Dont use a cherrypicker!!!!! it is very easy to get to the rear tire. just remove the back part or the rear fender 3 maybe 4 bolts and the rear tire will slide right out VERY EASY

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I agree with MichiganWing, but if you HAVE to remove the rear wheel while the front wheel is off, it would be safer to remove the rear fender panel and audio amplifier, which will allow enough room to roll the rear tire out.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Okay I can't see how you can get the auto amp out with the tire in place since the four bolts that hold the amp into the black box are not accessaible while the black box is inplace unless you're goping to pull the seat and disconnect the cable that goes to the amp and pull it and the black box as an assembly. I think it will be very hard to get all of this bak in once the tire is in place.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I replaced both the front and rear tires of my 1800 at the same time using the procedure Michiganwing alluded to.

Put the wing up on the center stand. Take a ratcheting strap and attach it to the center stand arm and the engine crash guard. Tighten it up till there is no slack in the strap. Remove the front tire and let the wing down onto the front forks. Now the back is high enough to roll the rear tire out from underneath without touching. ( I have a trailer hitch and it adds to the complexity of taking the back panel off)

Reverse the order to put everything back. Make sure you get the right spacers in place on the front tire....they are not the same on both sides!!

If I was going to just remove the rear tire I would either use a motorcycle jack or lay it down on its right side. Easy to do if you follow the videos that michiganwing linked to.

Good luck with getting the amp out, I don't have one and have no clue how hard it would be.

By the way, isn't your bike still under warranty??????

Henry

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Just put two straps from the center stand to the engine gaurd. Now I can drop the front end down ~ 5" to 6 " which should give me about about 25" to 26" to roll that back tire directly underneath without having to pull that black box with the audio amp inside. I'll try and take some pictures as I go and let you all know how it goes tomorrow night. I'll probaly post them the day after tomorrow if the forum will allow me the room.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Yes it is still under warrantee. Why do you ask. Is that amp being under water covered. If so for how long.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Invest in something like this, not brand specific. It will make the job much faster and easier..

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I've helped a few chaps with their 1800 back wheels. What I did was put the bike on main stand, and I pulled it sideways a few degrees while the owner wiggled the wheel out and back in later.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

That works as long as you have somone you can depend on, unfortunately I am in a situation where I have to do everything by myself with no help except you guys. Thanks to all of you for being there.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I actually tried one of these I saw in a yard sale but when I place this stand under the bike and started jacking it up in hopes it would go up perfectly level and balanced I soon found out the back of the bike was a lot heavier than the front and I took t back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.