Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
758 Posts
I love a good gun, but with the inconsistent and ever-changing crazy-quilt of handgun laws and over-reaching penalties, I'd be more inclined to go with bear spray.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Didn't see a better place to post this; if there is, please move it there. Thanks.

In all of our motorcycling "careers" there comes time for a final big ride. Looks like mine will be this Sept. I've ridden all over the U.S.A. and a fair amount in Canada and Brasil. Wouldn't mind doing a ride in Argentina/Patagonia & Andes, but doesn't look like it's in the cards. So, I'll settle for riding my '85 GL1200 Aspencade from Minnesota to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in southwestern Colorado in Sept, meet my brother-in-law (a Valkerie guy) at Arches National Park in southeastern Utah and we'll ride that and Canyonlands while in that area and ride a while together towards Salt Lake City. I'll spin off to Jackson, WY (it was called "Jackson Hole" when I was a kid) for a final visit to the Tetons, my favorite NA mountains and then head back to MN. Should be excellent. I'm not giving up riding after this, but really don't have long rides left that really need to happen. After 45 years of riding, y'know......

If anybody has insights to share about the Black Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands or stuff on the way there and back, I'm all ears. Hopefully by Sept. the parks will all be open without any more COVID hysteria.
I have been to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison , not on my 1986 GW but hiking down into the canyon and camping with my brother who lives in Colorado....I thought I was going to die before I hiked back up out of the canyon, and told my brother that if we go again, I will parachute from the view area and meat him at the bottom....Beautiful country though. Did travel to Grand Tetons, Jackson and Yellowstone , Went there 6 years in a row, great white water rafting and hiking . Went 2 years in a row to Cody ,Wy. for the bike rally, they had back then. My last trip up through there was a long trip from Las Vegas, NV. to Pennsylvania and back, 6,000 miles in 2 weeks, that was my last real long trip on my motorcycle ( the same 1986 GW that I bought new, and am still riding now, 125,000 miles on it ) and I still ride with the Patriot Guard Riders at 73 years old and still going....

·
Dee
8 Posts
Didn't see a better place to post this; if there is, please move it there. Thanks.

In all of our motorcycling "careers" there comes time for a final big ride. Looks like mine will be this Sept. I've ridden all over the U.S.A. and a fair amount in Canada and Brasil. Wouldn't mind doing a ride in Argentina/Patagonia & Andes, but doesn't look like it's in the cards. So, I'll settle for riding my '85 GL1200 Aspencade from Minnesota to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in southwestern Colorado in Sept, meet my brother-in-law (a Valkerie guy) at Arches National Park in southeastern Utah and we'll ride that and Canyonlands while in that area and ride a while together towards Salt Lake City. I'll spin off to Jackson, WY (it was called "Jackson Hole" when I was a kid) for a final visit to the Tetons, my favorite NA mountains and then head back to MN. Should be excellent. I'm not giving up riding after this, but really don't have long rides left that really need to happen. After 45 years of riding, y'know......

If anybody has insights to share about the Black Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands or stuff on the way there and back, I'm all ears. Hopefully by Sept. the parks will all be open without any more COVID hysteria.
If you add another wheel on the back from Motor Trike, you can get another 10 years of fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
All great roads through Co and Ut above. Let me just add, that if you’re cruising N. on I15 towards SLC for some reason, get off at Nephi, take 132 east a few miles to the (below) and ride it up to Pason.

Nebo Loop National Scenic Byway
Nebo Loop Rd, Nephi, UT 84648
(801) 798-3571

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amazing area, hope you enjoy! My blog entry for that day included:

"One does not simply "go a little wide" in the Black Canyon. I haven't figured out the formula these westerners use for deciding where to put guard rails yet, but it doesn't take into account the consequences of a motorcycle "coming in hot". If you go a little wide, your carcass when it finally comes to rest will be a little wider, a little longer, a lot lower, and a lot flatter than when it first launched off the turn. That road is an asphalt snake that darts inside into the mountain "wee!"... and then carves an outside turn of sharp rocks and atmosphere "****!"... Do that a hundred times, and you'll have a case of the wee shits. "
The reason there are no guardrails on many of the mountain roads in the mountain states like Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and others is during the winter when the roads are being plowed the snow is pushed off the road and down the embankment. When there are guard rails along the road they are bent, broken, torn up by the plows, so they stop putting up guard rails. During the winter most of the mountain roads can get 10 to 15 feet of snow during he winter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
758 Posts
Interesting. Many parts of NY get that much snow in a single storm due to the "lake effect", but they still have guardrails everywhere, even on roads that don't seem to particularly need them. :unsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts

Been through there on several occasions. Always plan for rain as I have been in it more times than not. It is kind of intermittent and actually adds to the beauty of the region. Don't know if you have time, but the million dollar highway (CO 550) from Ouray to Silverton, to Durango is worth every penny of the million. It is a challenge but truly remarkable. While in Moab, look at staying at the Red Cliffs Lodge, about 14 miles east of town on highway 128. Road runs right next to the river and the lodge has cabins where the deck looks right up the Colorado River. Do the Canyonlands by Night Sound and Light Show with Dinner. Also, do not leave Moab without visiting Dead Horse Point State Park. One of the most spectacular parks in America. Look for the spring water coming out of the mountain on 128 just after turning off 191. It's called the "Love Water"!

If you ride into Denver, take Route 285 to Buena Vista to Salida and pick up 50 there. Watch for Big Horn Sheep all along 285. My daughter was a white water rafting guide on the Arkansas River in Buena Vista and I got to know that area pretty well. My favorite State to travel is Utah, and I could ride it everyday and never get tired of seeing the beauty. Wish I was going with you

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If you add another wheel on the back from Motor Trike, you can get another 10 years of fun.
I could be a smartass and say something like, "But then it wouldn't be a motorcycle, it'd be a tricycle." but I'll resist the urge!:censored::whistle:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Been through there on several occasions. Always plan for rain as I have been in it more times than not. It is kind of intermittent and actually adds to the beauty of the region. Don't know if you have time, but the million dollar highway (CO 550) from Ouray to Silverton, to Durango is worth every penny of the million. It is a challenge but truly remarkable. While in Moab, look at staying at the Red Cliffs Lodge, about 14 miles east of town on highway 128. Road runs right next to the river and the lodge has cabins where the deck looks right up the Colorado River. Do the Canyonlands by Night Sound and Light Show with Dinner. Also, do not leave Moab without visiting Dead Horse Point State Park. One of the most spectacular parks in America. Look for the spring water coming out of the mountain on 128 just after turning off 191. It's called the "Love Water"!

If you ride into Denver, take Route 285 to Buena Vista to Salida and pick up 50 there. Watch for Big Horn Sheep all along 285. My daughter was a white water rafting guide on the Arkansas River in Buena Vista and I got to know that area pretty well. My favorite State to travel is Utah, and I could ride it everyday and never get tired of seeing the beauty. Wish I was going with you
Appreciate your input to this adventure!(y)

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I make it a point to downshift as low as possible so the brakes to NOT have to provide all of the effort to keep the speed down.
Yup, but the Gunnison is so steep, the motor won't hold it, and you have to touch brakes.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well, as we say in the Midwest: "It's Nut-Cuttin' Time!" Refers to the processing of young male pigs into "barrows" and bull calves into steers. In other words, "Time to get at it."

I leave Saturday morning from central Minnesota for Montrose, Colorado and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River. This is almost certainly my last long road trip on "Tatanka" (Lakota ["Sioux"] for bison, my 1985 GL1200 Aspencade.) It's probably my last long trip on any motorcycle; unless I can do one in in Patagonia, southern Argentina/Brasil; but I'm not optimistic about that, given the mass psychosis re Covid. The ride west is more important to me anyway. I'm going via Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas and simply want to know if folks there have become severely mentally ill yet, too, like in Minnesota and much of our nation.

After the Black Canyon I'll head to Moab, UT as a base for traveling to Canyonlands and Arches National Parks, then head to Dinosaur National Monument in northwest Colorado. Then north into Wyoming to traverse the Bighorn mountains via Ten Sleep and on into the plains of eastern Wyoming, South Dakota and home to Minnesota. Should be great, and I'm meeting my brother-in-law from Everett, WA in Montrose. Will post photos here, unless the NSA/CIA delete them.... :unsure:

·
107 Posts

Riden that area few times and loved it !!!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Riden that area few times and loved it !!!
I really enjoy the research that is possible ahead of road trips now with the internet and all. I believe you and look forward to reporting a similarly excellent experience! The adventure begins in about 10 hours...

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Keep us posted Kevin and pics makes our days better.
Probably 3 weeks till our departure to New Mexico, Utah and whatever lies between Fl and there

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Kevin my computer doesn't display any pics. What's wrong?
Gee, must be a lousy computer Pete! No, wait! It's because the photos on my crappy phone suck; not worth posting! A $45 android phone does not produce professional results, and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River is too spectacular to settle for less than excellent photos. There are plenty on the web. My brother-in-law was blown away by the Black Canyon, too. Arches National Park was cool, though less dramatic than the Black Canyon. I was going to go to Canyonlands and Dinosaur Monument national parks, but scratched them.

This evening I'm in Grand Island, Nebraska on the way home and should arrive there tomorrow night. I'm at about 2,300 miles on this trip so far, and should wind up at about 2,700-2,800. It was a perfect final road trip for both "Tatanka", my 1985 GL1200 Aspencade and for me. As I prep it for sale this fall or next spring, I'll be shopping for a local bike, something in the 500-650cc and 450-500lb. range, and also looking for a boat for a return to fishing after a 10-year hiatus.

Similar to motorcycling, I had the big/powerful/fancy boats, but I've had to throw in the towel on waterskiing and have fished most all of the big lakes in Minnesota multiple times. Now I want a 16'-18 aluminum boat with a 25-50hp motor so that I can be mistaken for the old dude who knows where all the fish are on smaller lakes and can catch them all using simple gear! We have over 11,000 lakes in Minnesota, so there is little chance of running out of choices....

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
there is one bike you might consider in your downsizing move.
the Piaggio MP3 500cc model, I have the 250cc version and they are quite the trick for us "elderly folks".
Push a button, and it locks the front suspension and it just stands there until you are ready to go again.

Long term parking, it has a Center Stand, as the suspension lock is Hydraulic and over a couple to three weeks, it will bleed down.

Rode mine today for 3 hours locally with friends.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
Canyonlands is pretty cool but it's quite a ways in. Dino...eh...not so much.

Canyonlands as the sun sets.
Ecoregion Natural environment Natural landscape Bedrock Mountain

Back to the bikes as the sun goes down.
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

21 - 40 of 45 Posts