Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am slowly working on my project Interstate GL1100. I have been looking around for differnt ideas on how to finish it. I really like the look of this bike and am thinking of unashamedly copying it: (not sure where I lifted the picture, think it was bikepics)

My question is the engine. Do I repaint it original silver, or do I go black like this example??

What are the pros and cons of painting the engine black?? Is it harder to maintain??

Attachments

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I think the black really looks sharp. IMHO:action:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

wow, I really like the black, I may do that on mine as well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Having seen a black engined 1100, I have to say a big NO. Sorry but in my opinion it ruined the look of the bike. But then hey we all have personal likes and dislikes, I suppose it is a bit like asking what tyres are the best.

Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Thats a great looking bike . I'd like to see it naked . That way the Wing on the tank would be seen.

Black sure looks nice on the yellow bike . Black engines are suppose to be cooler . The black supposedly disapates the heat better .

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I like it, I like it.:)

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Been thinking along the same lines myself. I would like a red wing with all the chrome and the engine powdercoated black. That would be an awesome look.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Hey guys an old wise man cycle restorer told me that paint doesn't dissipate heat well. so if you spend a lot of time in traffic or live in Texas to San diego it might not be doing the best thing for running temps. Maybe use synthetic oil and do whatever else possible like oil cooler or something might do the trick and just paint her up.. I like the silver paint and a chrome like polish on the cases .

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I usually don't care for yellow vehicles but this one is set up really nice. I would go for the copy on it. I also like the wing on the tank. VERY nice details on this bike and not overdone so I would rate it a 10. My old CB 750's engine is black with chrome covers that I bought from Honda direct. I think the black paint will run warmer but I also have an external oil cooler on mine which helps. You can also do some things to bring more air flow to the motor. I have a chrome add on radiator grill on my 1200 but remove it in the summer because it does restrict air flow some and I only use it in the winter. Paul

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

I had 76 yellow Wing, looks good! And bright colors are safer.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Sharp bike. I like the look with no bags hanging off the sides and back. I think its good to give your bikeits own personality.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Looks better with a bright yellow that one is a little pasty for my taste. And Yellow accents on intakes or covers or plug wires etc. make it pop.. or a bright orange and black same kind of effect.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I really doubt that heat transfer between black of silver paint is going to make much difference, if even measurable. Honda sold a number of models with motors painted black, and those were air cooled (81,82 900F) so I'd say, do what you want to do. If you like that yellow, it will probably look better with black engine vs silver. You can always repaint it again if you don't like it.....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,963 Posts
imported post

I saw a pic of a GL11 on this site somewhere on which theowner painted the engine block and heads black. The valve and belt covers were left polished aluminum. To my eye that was one of the sharpest looking GLs I've ever seen. Very subdued and tasteful. Maybe that guy will chime in and show the bike off again.

I'd think water spots would show more on a black engine though. Making detailing the bike more work than normal.

The bike in the pic is very well done but the motor is a little too dark for me. I might have tried the yellow on the valve covers too. Maybe just as an accent stripe.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

What about HemI Orange.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

i think it looks good, but agree with cleaning black will show most everything:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

A bit like trying to look cool in a black t shirt with dandruff.... (Ok it was a long time ago).:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::dude::dude::dude::dude::dude::dude:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I went with black highlites on my 78 build a couple of years ago.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.