Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently started the winter clean up of my 83 GL1100 Interstate. I put her into storage the weekend after Thanksgiving, but brought some parts home to clean and polish (saddle bag / trunk brackets and the trunk). Got those cleaned up and even managed to swap parts with another member and I now have a great looking trailer hitch for mine. Anyway, I brought the first group back and brought the rear fender and the front fairing home for their cleaning and some re-wiring to clean up some electrical I had done in a rush over the summer.

I noticed the HONDA emblems on each side of the fairing were looking a little pathetic and thought about how to fix it up cheaply and quickly. Out came the black Sharpie.

I've already decided to take pictures to document my winter project, but I'm not posting anything until the official unveil of the finished product, but I just HAD to share this one shot...

Happy Holidays to each and every one of my fellow members and GoldWingers... Those that still can over the New England winter months, RIDE SAFE !

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Having mostly a satin black paint job, I touch-up my entire bike with Sharpies.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I do the same, I touch upblack parts on my bike with a Sharpie. Works pretty good on things that aren't handled muchsuch asblack colored screw heads that have been scratched by a screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
I recently saw an episode of "Mythbusters" where 1/2 a car was sprayed with that black bed liner material and it was proven to take quite a beating with very little surface damage.....I wondered what it would look like to spray my entire bike with it. . .

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

RckRagman wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
I recently saw an episode of "Mythbusters" where 1/2 a car was sprayed with that black bed liner material and it was proven to take quite a beating with very little surface damage.....I wondered what it would look like to spray my entire bike with it. . .

:cheesygrin:
I saw that episode as well. Might be better to spray your helmet and riding clothes!

I was very impressed when they sprayed it on a jacket and then let a dog attack. That stuff is awesome!

As for the sharpie - agreed great for touch up. For emblems I purchased a small brush plating kit (the old hobby kind)-runs off a lantern battery. After re-plating I used a tiny brush with black paint to touch up any missing black. Any smudges/excess wipe off easily since the gold part is raised-see pic (pre-paint touch up)...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Wow, wingsam41...That did come out quite nice. I was wondering how to 'fix' the reflective gold where it's weather worn. But you can't tell mine are real faded unless you're up real close, so I may leave that for another time.

Thanks, though, for the idea/advice. . .I will definitely keep that in mind when I decide to have the whole thing repainted.

:claps:

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

That looks pretty darned good! I didn't know you could get anything like that.

A friend of mine had a dog that was getting pretty old, and a lot of the hair on his face was turning grey. So he thought it would be funny to color it in with a Sharpie. It actually looked pretty good, until the dog went into the bedroom and wiped it all off on the new bedroom carpeting! Apparently it's not permanent when applied to fur!

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.