Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed valve on 88 GL1500

747 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  clark9825 
#1 ·
imported post

Hi guys,
I can't seem to find the bleed valve for my clutch on my 88 gl1500. I want to flush out the old fluid and replace it. I just bought the bike in July and the fluid appears to be dark (from what i see in the window) and after it has been ridden for awhile the clutch seems to be chattering upon take off. Can you guys tell me where I can find the bleed valve for it. Thanks in advance :)

Alan

P.S. I know it is DOT4 but what do you guys recommend as to what brand is best?

#2 ·
imported post

Remove the left front side panel (the one by your left ankle) when on the bike. The bleed valve is behind that panel below the alternator. It will probably have a little rubber cap over the end of the bleed tube (unless it has gotten bad/lost over time).

I use the Honda DOT 4 brake fluid but any good name brand brake fluid will work good.

#5 ·
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
A long extension and 5/16" (8mm) socket will get you in there easily.
Eddie,

You need a hose on the bleed valve pipe for bleeding the clutch fluid. How you going to do that with the socket on the bleed valve nut????

I use a box (6-point) or open end wrench to loosen/tighten the nut during the bleeding process.

#6 ·
imported post

Remember that the Dot4 fluid is very caustic and if spilled on your plastic will rapidly destroy it. Make sure that you mask the area thoroughly with towels and plastic bags in case you have a wee splash and have something handy, cloths shop towels etc, to soak up any spills. Also wear gloves.

#7 ·
imported post

Thanks guys, I have successfully changed the fluid. It was horribly dark and had some gunk in there. Had some trouble with air in the lines but I had to drain it completely with all the gunk in there. Now this weekend I move on to changing the fluid on the brakes :) Thanks again for all the help.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.