Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a trick to bleeding goldwing brakes?

I've just replaced one front caliper and replaced all front brakes but when I go to bleed the brakes nothing happens. I've pumped the brakes for over a half hour but still no brakes...

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
imported post

Here's a trick that always works for me. Tie a zip-ty around the brake and compress the lever lever over night. The air will float to the top eventually and all the air will be gone. I always get the brakes at least somewhat working before trying this, so it may or may not work for you. I think it'll still work though. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey mfs3,

When I did mine I built a little pump that sucked it right out from the bleeder. No air ever got into the system.

Basically, I hooked it up, started the pump and as the fluid was drawn from the MC I would top it up. I completely changed my front fluid in about 5 min and the rear the same. A good strong vacuum and the bubbles don’t have a chance to rise if you already have air in the system.

You can see the pump I made here…

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/73104.html

You can see what others have done here…

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/49544-1.html

I also used this pump system to replace the fluid in my shocks. I didn’t have to “drip” new fluid into the airlines or remove the springs. I just sucked the new fluid up from the bottom drain bolt after hooking the pump up to the airline on the top. It took about 90 seconds to fill each front fork.

Good Luck!!!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Get speedbleeders for all 3 calipers, they can be found here

www.speedbleeders.com

They have a check valve that prevents air from entering the system.

All you do is turn them 1/4 or 1/2 turn loose, hook up a clear hose, have the other end on a pail or cup, and pump the brakes to your hearts content until you have no air in the system

Makes brake bleeding a one man operation. I got my bleeders for $7 a piece, I did't need to buy (and store) apump. Makes life easier.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Speed bleeders are nice for not getting air into the system. However, once air is in there is can be extremely frustrating to get it out. You can pump on them till the cows come home and not get anywhere.:)

A pump, which can be hand held, will remove a pocket of air that is already in the system. Speed bleeders will compliment this by not letting air back in from the bottom.

Tim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.