Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Bleeding the clutch may not fix that, if you already have a nice firm lever feel. But it is worth a try. Don't let the fluid level drop too far when bleeding or you may have a hard time getting the lever firm again. The bleed nipple is at the back of the engine on the left side, similar to the GL1200 seen in this clutch bleeding video:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I have always done mine like brakes (I have not watched the video link): Use a syringe to empty the reservoir, fill with fresh, squeeze and crack the bleeder below being sure to close the bleeder before the handle bottoms out. Continue until you see clean below. If it is already pretty clean, I just run a reservoir or two of fluid through. If you are afraid you have air up high you can do the same thing at the banjo at the handle, but you have to be careful of the fluid as it is not good to paint.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Just watched the video. Very nice.
That is what I have done with two minor exceptions: Still put out plastic and I put an old towel on the plastic sheet. Then the brake fluid is contained in the towel and far less dripping. Also, I put a shallow bin on top of that to hopefully catch 90% of the drips before they get to the towel, and try to direct the fluid 'squirt' in to the bin. Much less clean up and much lower chance of brake fluid where you do not want it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
^
Not sure what you're saying?
If it's firm, it may just be that it engages lower than you are accustomed to with other bikes? However, a good bleed is never a bad thing and can be done FAR less messily than the video shows if you see my additions. You could do it in under 1/2 hour pretty easily.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I which the lever was firm
How long has it been since the last flushing of the clutch?
How often has it been done since the bike was new?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I use a vacuum bleeder, to pull a continous flow of new brake fluid through the lines, until it comes out clear.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
How do I bleed the clutch, I have engagement just as I start to release the lever.
That often happens when the brass bushing in the lever wears through and can no longer push the piston enough.

The nice thing is that every Goldwing with a fluid clutch uses the same bushing so the dealer likely has a few in stock.
Part number is 22885-MB0-006

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I'm with Ken. Especially if you are having issues getting it to start using the clutch while in gear. That cheap bushing could fix both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.