Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can I open bleed screw, keep master cylinder full and gravity bleed new fluid thru clutch system on 93 Interstate? Have no problem with this procedure on brakes, any different?

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

that should work if you open the bleeder, but i would finish it off by using the lever or a vacuum device. just my prefference. i have good luck that way

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

396FISH wrote:
Can I open bleed screw, keep master cylinder full and gravity bleed new fluid thru clutch system on 93 Interstate? Have no problem with this procedure on brakes, any different?
Don't know about the 1500 but on my 1200 LTD, there is a tendancy for air to be trapped at the banjo bolt. I doubt that gravity feed will purge that, but I could be wrong...

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

beachbuddy0253 wrote:
that should work if you open the bleeder, but i would finish it off by using the lever or a vacuum device. just my prefference. i have good luck that way
I agree. Unless you want to do it again, when your clutch quits working.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

My thinking is that if there is no air in the system there should be none to trap.Clutch works fine. I did'nt do any work to it, just want toget fresh fluid in it. Wadya think?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I have a friend that tried bleeding the clutch on his Honda Magna and he wound up taking it to the shop so they could use a vacuum bleeder on the thing. He had drained all the fluid from the line for some reason.
No matter what he tried, he could not get the fluid from the master cylinder to flow into the line.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

it's never worked for me like that - good luck

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I suspect he let the master cyl. go dry in the process. I did that on my truck one time and had a hell of a time. Should this have been a quote instead of a reply to answer ddrumman?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the key is to not allow any air into the system..... if you do, getting the bubble from the banjo is a pita

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

This is the easy one to do.

Put your bike on its centre stand'

Now cover all of your tank and paintwork by putting a sheet over as much of your bike that is near the master cylinder. You do not want to get fluid spilt on anything.

Now take the top off of your master cylinder so that you can see the level of the fluid in the cylinder. You need to keep this level topped up as you start to change the fluid.

Find a bottle or better still a jar and put about 2" of clean fluid in it.

You now need a length of clear tube that will fit tightly over the clutch bleed nipple and long enough for the other end to be submerged into the fluid.

Use an open ended spanner to slacken off the nipple by half a turn which will open it. Pull the clutch lever slowly in and out about three timesand watch the old fluid , which will be a different colour and may have small bubbles in it, start to flow into the jar. You must make sure of two things here. One, the fluid must be kept topped up and two, the end of the tube must stay submerged at all times so that you do not draw air into the system. Keep on pulling the lever in and out until the fluid that is coming out of the tube is the same colour as the new fluid that you are putting in . When this happens you have finished. Tighten up the bleed nipple - ALL DONE.

Keith :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

As long as I've been bleeding have never had to put about 2" of clean fluid in the bottle or submerged the tube into the fluid. As long as your clear tube has a nice upward loop in it, the air bubbles will travel to the top of the loop and expel as you bleed. Make sure your nipple has a good thread seal and I always prefer to use a good nipple wrench since open end wrenches can slip and damage. I believe the 1500 use the 8/125 series, which coincidently is also the series of speed bleeder used (ditch the junk and use the tube as a waste port)

a good brake pipe wrench will hang on the nipple (!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.