Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am experiencing much difficulty in bleeding my front callipers & master cylinder after refurbishing the brakes. This is a trike and so both callipers are now driven by the front brake lever/master cylinder. I cannot get any fluid down to the callipers from the master cylinder so I think there is an airlock in the master cylinder but I can't shift it.

I do not have access to (expensive) air driven brake vacuum bleed devices and I have tried to make a hand driven one using the pump mech from a soap dispenser as suggested elsewhere on this forum, to no avail.

Any suggestions on how I can do this with simple hand tools would be very welcome.

James.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Alan, thanks, I overlooked that as a possibility, will go to the garage NOW to try it.

Incidentally, you are the second biker from Ireland to come up with sound advice, your fellow countryman is from Kildare. What is it with you chaps? Comon sense I suppose!

We love it over there, my wife's kids and their kids live in NI, Strathfoyle (Derry). S'foyle is not a great town, but there are plenty of lovely places up there to go for a day out on the trike!

I also have a friend who moved back to Ireland a few years back, in Tuam, Galway, another nice part of the country.

Ride safe mate and keep the shiny bits up, the black bits down.

Thanks again,

best, James.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Nope, couldn't make that work either, can't get the banjo bolt back in fast enough to stop fluid exit and air entry..................... gonna have a brew and go back out again to try later.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Just crack the banjo bolt and very slowly squeeze the lever, tightening the bolt before the lever is all the way in and while fluid is still flowing.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks, I did try that but no flow, so I removed the banjo bolt completely, got fluid & air out but still no joy. Maybe I just need to persevere a bit.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Take your time and work your way down. Banjo bolt first and then the caliper.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

It may be that you need to rebuild the master cylinder? Easy job. You will need some inside snap ring pliers and a can of brake clean. Less then $40 in parts would be my guess. Hope this helps.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

When you redid the brakes you may have pushed the pistons all the way in if so the fluid hole in the calibers will be blocked a shot of air in the bleed nipple should push them forward if not loosen the banjo bolt at the calibers and see will gravity send the fluid down to it and for god sake mind the plastics with the fluid

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Peter, yes did push the pistons all the way in - only because the Haynes Book of Lies told me to!

I wondered if that would be my problem, not surer yet as there is evidence of movement in the fluid in the draining container (coffee jar) and bleed tube (a piece of battery gas/overflow tubing). But it seems to be going backwards as well as forwards.

So maybe tomorrow I will take off the banjos at the callipers as you suggest, but it still looks to me as though I have an airlock in the master cyli9nder, maybe its both of these issues?

I've given up for today though, comfort food arrived earlier from the local Chinese takeaway, which we enjoyed with a well chilled bottle of Italian white. So that has at least made me feel better about it all!

Now to finish the job (I mean the wine, of course, the other thing can wait till the morning).

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Just one more thing in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir is a littleZ shapeplate no 6 in the pic that covers the exit hole make sure it has not moved and is the right way round with the hole clean

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Peter, I think the hole is clean, as the fluid level drops when I bleed the cylinder with banjo bolt removed - I'll check the clip though from memory, the main part is pointing towards the banjo/cylinder exit so from the diagram, it looks correct. It was all working before I overhauled the callipers anyhow...............

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Did you let the master empty out? When I rebuild calipers I always block off the lines to keep fluid in the master. If you drained the master did you bleed the master itself before hooking the line on it?

Bill

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

The master was not emptied but despite numerous attempts, it will not bleed either.

I've tried everything guys, and I am grateful for all the advice and tips you gave me, I have learned a lot from my brake overhaul.

I hate to be beaten by these daft idiosyncrasies but enough is enough, and I've had enough!

I have made arrangements to take my trike to another Winger (locally) who not only has good technical skills with a GoldWing, he also has a compressor, an airline, and a vacuum brake bleeder to go on it. I reckon that will suck this through.

Thanks again all,

James.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

a friend of my redid his brakes on a shadow , could not get rid of the airlock . i fixed it in 2 minutes - started at the other end with the bleed nipple . took a clear plastic hose with a syringe filled with brake fluid opened the bleed nipple and pushed the fluid in the other direction , presto , fixed . we could both hear and see the air bubbles as they came out of the hose into the filler tank .

hope this can help you................

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Brakes a re now bled and fully functional. I think it was down to the pistons being pushed too far in after the overhaul, but it also took 2 of us and a compressor/airline with a vacuum bleed kit to get a solid brake lever.

Phew, glad that's over, now I can ride my trike.

Toodle-pip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.