Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must have gotten some air in the rear break line while the bike sat for about a month. Any help on how to bleed the break like would be greatly appreciated. You all ride safe and God bless.
thankyou

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
There are several threads about it if you do a topic search, but bleed them just like car brakes. Do the front one first since they are linked and then move to the rear. The fluid reservoir is small so be sure to keep an eye on the fluid level.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I must have gotten some air in the rear break line while the bike sat for about a month. Any help on how to bleed the break like would be greatly appreciated. You all ride safe and God bless.
thankyou
Rear brake gets the fluid from the rear master ... easiest way to get at the brakes is to remove the left saddlebag. you could try the old standby of pump the foot brake 3time..HOLD the brake down, open the bleeder valve let the old fluid drain into a vessel and then close the bleeder valve..then repeat. Be sure to REFILL the fluid reservoir and not let it empty. Might also think about installing "speed bleeders" while you are in there...

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Another thing to remember about bleeding the brakes on a 1500 is the left front brake and rear brake are linked together. The hand brake lever only operates the right front brake.
To bleed them start with the left front brake then do the rear brake last. As noted above, if you install some speedbleeders it will make the job much easier to do. Easy one man job with them. Here is a link to their website.
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Yep, the rule of thumb is always bleed the caliper furthest from the master first.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I've lost the brake pedal twice on my 91 over the past 5 years since installing SS lines, most recently last week. I use a one man bleeder hose/valve that you can buy from any auto parts store cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good morning and thank you all for the great advice i appreciate it. I'll give it a try and get on the road, the weather in New Mexico is getting good for riding. Have a great day and God bless

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
You'll have to remove the left bag to access the rear caliper bleeder or drill a hole in side of the left bag like later 1500 bags have for direct access without removing it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I thought about speed bleeders, but I can reach the parts by stretching.
:)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
A good tip when using speed bleeders is to smear some grease around the bleed nipple base to stop air being sucked back into the system up the thread when on the release stroke of the pumping.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
John the speedbleeders come with a sealant already on the threads to prevent air being introduced into the brake system when bleeding. Works very well.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Thanks Larry. That is true. I was thinking of the speed bleeders that come connected to a tube you push over the OEM bleed valves when doing the job. Being cheap and lazy I haven't changed my individual valves to the speed ones yet but you are right they are better.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Stock left bag access hole is 1.5" @ use a hole saw and be done with this matter.

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Stock left bag access hole is 1.5" @ use a hole saw and be done with this matter.
Wouldn't be easier to remove the bag every two or so years to bleed the brakes rather than butchering the bag?:wtf:

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Here's the OEM tape plug for "later" left 1500 rear bag caliper access.

Drill the hole, bled the caliper and forget about it until the next time.

I had a Dream and it wasn't the 2001 gl1800 wonder bike :<)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
FYI: The part number for the 1500 Speedbleeders, per the mfg, is SB-8125LL
I just ordered a full set today and they seem cheapest right from the maker's website.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
According to the Speedbleeder website you need SB8125L for the brake calipers and SB8125LL for the clutch slave cylinder for the 95-00 GL1500.
So you need:
3 SB8125L for brakes
1 SB8125LL for clutch

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.