Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I blew the fuse for the AUX power supply underneath the left leather pocket. It has taken out my fuel gauge and temp gauge. My MOM and my shop manual make no reference to it. Any idea where i look for it?

Please help if you know, i leave for a 1400 mile round trip tomorrow aft.

Cheers

Dragoon

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
imported post

i guess first look would be aux fuse at the top
of the fuse block behind LH cover (the one that exposes alt) 5 Amp unless it's been changed out bigger.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

There is also a fuse block beside the main block,behind the L side bag, you may have to at least loosen the side box to get at it. Good luck

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Make sure that your taillights are working. If they are not, you probably have the dreaded #3 relay failure. When my #3 relay conked out, I only noticed because my fuel gauge and temp gauge weren't working. If that is what it is, a quick fix is the Pilot PL-RY1 relay available at Autozone or other auto parts places. A heads up though, in Autozone it will not be with the regular electrical section, it will be with the aftermarket driving lights.

If it is the fuse, it will be #8 and that also controls taillights. My guess is it will either be that fuse or the relay. Nothing to panic about either way, it's a quick fix.

Sorry for another edit, I also noticed that it happened when the fuse blew to your auxiliary power supply. If it was me, I would do a quick rewire and run a new wire with a fuse directly from the battery. It doesn't have to be pretty, and it wouldn't take more than a couple minutes and will save you grief while on the road. You shouldn't have to worry about the ground but the positive side would then be removed from that circuit. The only thing you would have to pay atention to is that it wil be live all the time but that should be no big deal as long as you don't leave any big draw item plugged in while the bike is off. You can worry about rewiring it the way you want later.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Mine may be different since it is a 1989 and I don't know the SE.
My 1989 GL 1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual shows power to the temp and fuel gauge comes through the #3 Tail (Main) Relay from #8 Taillight Fuse 15A. Instrument Panel Illumination Lights should be out too.
The #3 Relay is powered on by the #11 Horn/Turn Fuse 15A.

The #3 Relay, #8 and #11 fuse are located in the Fuse/Relay Box behind the left side cover below the seat. Count the fuses from top #1 to bottom #11. #3 Relay is the right one on the top row of 3 relays.

Good luck, I know what it is like to be ready for a trip and one of them Gremlins shows up. Do you have a Gremlin Bell on your bike?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
Make sure that your taillights are working. If they are not, you probably have the dreaded #3 relay failure. When my #3 relay conked out, I only noticed because my fuel gauge and temp gauge weren't working. If that is what it is, a quick fix is the Pilot PL-RY1 relay available at Autozone or other auto parts places. A heads up though, in Autozone it will not be with the regular electrical section, it will be with the aftermarket driving lights.

If it is the fuse, it will be #8 and that also controls taillights. My guess is it will either be that fuse or the relay. Nothing to panic about either way, it's a quick fix.

Sorry for another edit, I also noticed that it happened when the fuse blew to your auxiliary power supply. If it was me, I would do a quick rewire and run a new wire with a fuse directly from the battery. It doesn't have to be pretty, and it wouldn't take more than a couple minutes and will save you grief while on the road. You shouldn't have to worry about the ground but the positive side would then be removed from that circuit. The only thing you would have to pay atention to is that it wil be live all the time but that should be no big deal as long as you don't leave any big draw item plugged in while the bike is off. You can worry about rewiring it the way you want later.
Its the dreaded #3 relay. I will replace it today. However, I have alreadty wired directly into the battery with a reasonable fuse

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

pwhoever wrote:

Saved once agian. It was fuse #8 even though i had no dash lighting or fuel/temp guages. Thanks all. I am on my jouney up the pacific coast highway some 1200 miles round trip. Can hardly wait to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.