Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
58,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and bye bye Windows too :laugh:
I have been looking at something to replace my current ASUS TP500L laptop for a long time.

I did a lot of dreaming about the Alienware 17R5, the fastest gaming machine in town last year, discounted down to 1499..... but, that was more than I wanted to spend.......... plus, it did NOT have a lot of features that are very important to me.... sub 3 hour battery life??
weight 10 lbs. ugh!
very sparse on USB ports to make me happy, and 1.25 inches thick??
No SDcard or XD media card reader port??

Looked at the Acers for $500 like I got for my daughter 2 years ago, she is very happy, but all she does is post pictures on Facebook.

I needed a Good lighted Keyboard, Better than Average WiFi capability, lots of ports to handle USB, Bluetooth, SDcards, MultiMediaCard memory cards, and decent battery life.

ASUS won out again, I chose this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-fx705gm-17-3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/6293624.p?skuId=6293624

Yeah, it broke a kiloBux with taxes added on, but free shipping is supposed to salve the soul?

Oh well, this older ASUS keeps loosing WiFi connection just about every 90 seconds, no matter if using the internal WiFi card, or the very good Panda PAU06 usb adapter..... this morning just broke it off really hard.... :frown2:

typed up a long message, hit submit, and nothing, everything gone. :crying2:

Decided right there, that today, I am going to surf the net, read the reviews and break the Refund check.....

·
Magic Moderator
4,440 Posts
I had to see the price and Yikes, its a nice laptop. I guess you'll send Windows10 Bon Voyage and set it up to run Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon? I cannot tell by the pic, but does it have the extra number keys? I only have one that has the extra keys.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Congrats John, looks very similar to Asus ROG GL752U except your SSD is larger and my co-processor is a GTX 960M... Have been very satisfied with mine and this is my second ASUS laptop...

Les

·
Administrator
58,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to see the price and Yikes, its a nice laptop. I guess you'll send Windows10 Bon Voyage and set it up to run Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon? I cannot tell by the pic, but does it have the extra number keys? I only have one that has the extra keys.

it is a 17" laptop, and I will ONLY buy PCs or laptops that have a Full 102 keys keyboard.... yes, it has the Number Keypad on the right side

1st order of business is to make the Microsoft Restoration Media,
then make a full image of the SSD, then I will install Mint alongside Win10 to let that run a while..... that would allow me to run TurboTax next year from my laptop.... will shrink the Win10 partition down to the minimum.

·
Magic Moderator
4,440 Posts
That's really nice.
I only have one Dell with lighted keys and one Toshiba with the number keys, all the others are regular.
This is a picture of the collection or 'Fleet' as I call it and they all work. 2 Dells, 2 Toshiba and a lone Apple.
You deserve a good laptop :smile2:, it's no fun working with old slow ones.

Attachments

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,043 Posts
Hohn, My kid and all of his gaming buddies like the ASUS. I've been using their main boards in my desk tops for years. You are going to like this with the SS hard drive.

·
Administrator
58,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let us know how you like your new laptop.

Oh, that I will for sure.
from what dadztoy has told me about his laptop in the past, I think it is a sure thing that it will please me.

My daughter nearly swallowed her tongue when I told her I bought it, and what it cost. She said "but you just bought a nice little Dell for $75.00 that looks like brand new, why not use that?"

well, I bought that one for my sister, and it is almost 10 years old, and slower than I can put up with.... even with the SSD that I put in it, it is slow, and limited to maybe 4gB RAM? don't recall about that, it is not enough though.

and the keyboard is all wrong, no 10 key pad, it is a 14" model.
this one I am using is a 15" model with ten key pad, but the display is too narrow for me to see all of a page at once....

I have to have large fonts, and 15" won't do the trick.

On my desktop PC, I have a 24" monitor on it, and can size the browser to my needs easily. but, can you imagine lugging a 24" monitor around with you on a laptop?

·
Magic Moderator
4,440 Posts
That's easy on any computer just go to the 'User CP' and look for 'Settings and Options', you'll see 'Edit Avatar' and you can change it there, easy peasy.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
That's easy on any computer just go to the 'User CP' and look for 'Settings and Options', you'll see 'Edit Avatar' and you can change it there, easy peasy.
That didn't work for me using the Classic Yellow skin.
I had to go to one of the Bad & Ugly skins to make it work.:crying2:

·
Administrator
58,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wish i could figure out how to change my avatar picture.do i need a 1499.00 laptop for that.lol.:ROFL:

No,
you just need to understand that "Profile picture" is NOT the "Avatar picture"

your PM told me to make sure your Profile picture was changed, and I looked, and the Indian pix was already uploaded to "Profile".

now you say, 'Avatar', so I changed the Avatar for you.

is it now what you want?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I get teased periodically about my laptop.

I've been a technology professional for 30+ years, and I could probably afford a new laptop if I thought it was a priority, but I still use an old Lenovo W510 that came with Windows 7 on it. I just keep upgrading the internals and it's still plenty fast. But, it weighs a ton, it's a big 16"-ish display, and it's thicker than a Big Mac. And the battery only lasts about an hour and a half.

All the kids with their Macs, sitting on their couches in the communal areas and sipping Starbucks think it's a dinosaur, and me by association.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Oh, that I will for sure.
from what dadztoy has told me about his laptop in the past, I think it is a sure thing that it will please me.
It should be an awesome machine John - I have been extremely satisfied with mine and bought it primarily for video editing which it does very well with... I use Video Studio Pro X8 and have run it both on the SSD drive and the regular hard drive without issue...

I would buy another machine in a heartbeat and love my ASUS machines...

Les

·
Administrator
58,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get teased periodically about my laptop.

I've been a technology professional for 30+ years, and I could probably afford a new laptop if I thought it was a priority, but I still use an old Lenovo W510 that came with Windows 7 on it. I just keep upgrading the internals and it's still plenty fast. But, it weighs a ton, it's a big 16"-ish display, and it's thicker than a Big Mac. And the battery only lasts about an hour and a half.

All the kids with their Macs, sitting on their couches in the communal areas and sipping Starbucks think it's a dinosaur, and me by association.

I used to have an old military laptop that cost megabucks for the military.
Two inches thick, nearly 20 years old now, but the cpu is fast, just as fast as current low end laptops being sold today.

it was limited to 2gB RAM, a shame, and it had Windows ?? something one it, XP ??

I gave it to Trike Lady, she can tell you about it.

Is Tuesday here yet? I want my new playtoy :grin3:

·
Administrator
58,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when it arrives, it will be full day.

Fresh Install of Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon alongside Win10 (so I can run TurboTax)

Then run Aptik gtk which will clone the OS to my current apps and preferences.... nice

Then, copy over all of my /home folders

·
Magic Moderator
4,440 Posts
That was a General Dynamic Itronix GoBookIII, new they were expensive and heavy, it even came with a heated hard drive caddy for those stationed in very cold places, a nicely lighted keyboard and it ran Windows XP. They were waterproof, shockproof and even had a touch screen.
Then we traded and I got in its place an 17" Apple G4 PowerBook in aluminum. In the picture in post #5 its the one that is all by itself on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
John, I can appreciate "New Laptop Heaven"! :grin3:

I just got a new "Toy" from the Company, they upgraded my 5 yr old Dell E6410 laptop to a Dell Precision 7730 "Engineering Laptop". This thing is a monster, 17.5" 1080p screen, Lighted keyboard with number pad, Core i7 2.6 GHz processor (6 cores, 12 threads) 32GB RAM(!!), 500GB m2 SSD, ethernet, Mini DisplayPort, 4x USB-3 and 2x USB-C jacks. Docking adapter connects via USB-C, has ethernet, 4 USB-3 ports, 2 USB-2 ports, Audio in/out, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, VGA... I can run three monitors on this thing in addition to it's own 17.5" Screen.

Of course, it has the Corporate Windoze 10 image on it, and being a work machine I won't be putting any Linux in it. But what a pleasure to use! TOY!

I bet your new machine just screams when you boot the Linux image! Prolly do very well on the Windoze, too.

·
Administrator
58,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John, I can appreciate "New Laptop Heaven"! :grin3:

I just got a new "Toy" from the Company, they upgraded my 5 yr old Dell E6410 laptop to a Dell Precision 7730 "Engineering Laptop". This thing is a monster, 17.5" 1080p screen, Lighted keyboard with number pad, Core i7 2.6 GHz processor (6 cores, 12 threads) 32GB RAM(!!), 500GB m2 SSD, ethernet, Mini DisplayPort, 4x USB-3 and 2x USB-C jacks. Docking adapter connects via USB-C, has ethernet, 4 USB-3 ports, 2 USB-2 ports, Audio in/out, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, VGA... I can run three monitors on this thing in addition to it's own 17.5" Screen.

Of course, it has the Corporate Windoze 10 image on it, and being a work machine I won't be putting any Linux in it. But what a pleasure to use! TOY!

I bet your new machine just screams when you boot the Linux image! Prolly do very well on the Windoze, too.

Wow!
they are being nice to you, just looked to see if Sandy Claus could afford that, nope:

Buy used: $4,999.77

We had to put a Fan Stand under the Dell laptop that I used to have,
does that one run warm enough to warrant that?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts