Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
All of my Dell laptops have to have a fan shroud or "powered lap desk" under them after about 5 years, unless I take them apart and blow the dust out of the cooling fins and replace the thermal paste under the heatsinks. That stuff doesn't last forever and Dell uses crap paste to begin with - most companies do.

I've had good luck with Arctic MX-4.

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
I guess I'll order a tube and put it in the computer parts box. My two Dells run fine and not hot but they do sit on a cooling base when running. The base is for smaller laptops and the larger ones don't fit well on it.
I have a Dell E6410 and an E6230. For me it's buy a used one and all I've purchased they've all been good.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The Precision 7730 runs surprisingly cool, but it does have some serious vents. $4999 Used?? Wow. I figured it was a "spendy" box, but pretty surprised it is THAT spendy!

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
oh happy day

Hi John, you have a package coming tomorrow.
Estimated Delivery Date:

Tuesday, 04/23/2019
Estimated Delivery Time: 11:30 AM - 03:30 PM

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
The Precision 7730 runs surprisingly cool, but it does have some serious vents. $4999 Used?? Wow. I figured it was a "spendy" box, but pretty surprised it is THAT spendy!
Yikes! :surprise:
Another old E6410 would be in my future. :crying2:

Congrats, tomorrow cannot come fast enough. :wink2:
Your package is way better than the one I got today, 2 cans of primer for a table I'm redoing. :smile2:

·
Administrator
59,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yup, it is, it just arrived, but we have a delay before I can play with it....

got a repair job to do

by "Who, Me?"

·
Administrator
59,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
yeah,
the cord survived, can't say as much for the door.

opened up the new "ASUS TUF Gaming" laptop.
turned off Cortana, did not allow it to see the Internet,
and now I am trying to get it to boot up on a USB-DVD

it sees it, and turns it off.

so, I am assuming that it is not allowing it to run, because the Macrium Reflect that is on the DVD was made on my Win7 PC.

So, installing a brand new MR just downloaded, and going to use that to create a new Recovery DVD.

back later with results.

I want an OEM 1st boot, image of the SSD.

·
Administrator
59,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Lord a mercy, MS has put so many roadblocks into place, I just now was able to get a DVD to boot up and run. Had to create a brand new Recovery DVD.

and when I booted up the DVD with the USB backup drive also plugged in, it just stalled, and would not do anything. I waited 5 minutes and finally just held do the power switch until the BIOS finally relinquished control and shut it down.

Never had a PC/laptop give me so much trouble. expletives abounded here.

but, MR is now making an image of it in box stock form.

the next question is how much trouble am I going to have getting it to boot on a Linux thumb drive?

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
Is that one of those new ones that uses UEFI? I have one Dell that gives me a choice of UEFI or Legacy and its currently set to Legacy.
Can you get into the settings and select the Boot Order? I currently have the hdd, usb and cd/dvd in that order. I just redid the Dell with Peppermint9 and Linux Mint 19.1Xfce.
I checked the two computer repair books I have and they're old, one stops at XP and the other 7 and nothing on UEFI.

·
Administrator
59,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Is that one of those new ones that uses UEFI? I have one Dell that gives me a choice of UEFI or Legacy and its currently set to Legacy.
Can you get into the settings and select the Boot Order? I currently have the hdd, usb and cd/dvd in that order. I just redid the Dell with Peppermint9 and Linux Mint 19.1Xfce.
I checked the two computer repair books I have and they're old, one stops at XP and the other 7 and nothing on UEFI.

yes, it has UEFI and even though I had the DVD set as the Priority boot device, it activated the DVD drive, it ran a few seconds, and then the BIOS turned it off and booted Win10. That DVD was made with Win7.

So, I knew that UEFI was the culprit. So far, I have not been able to get it into Legacy mode. IIRC, a way is possible..... I created an Admin password in BIOS which was required on my current ASUS TP500 laptop to get it into Legacy mode. I have not found that option yet in the ASUS TUF laptop.

The new Recovery DVD made with Macrium Reflect with the ASUS TUF laptop booted up, slower than molasses in Siberia.... I thought it was not going to boot up ever...... just as I was about to force a BIOS shutdown, I saw the screen flicker and left it alone. MR finally came up. Running a DVD on USB has to be the slowest possible way to run a computer. :frown2:

The ASUS TUF does not have an internal DVD, I knew that, this TP500 does not either. Normally, that don't matter as I never use it except in an emergency.

as of now, I have an Image of the TUF laptop.... but by the time I got that done, I was worn out, and time to stop.

Tmw, I will start with the Linux install alongside Win10.... that is fraught with errors though, as Win10 wants to correct the MBR when it comes up and destroys the Grub menu.

I am going to do some reading tonight on what others have been doing and see if I can avert the mess.

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
Sounds like another fight for another day. I completed a fresh install of Cinnamon 18.3 on the Toshiba, I purchased a 500gb 7200rpm hard drive for a project and used it there instead. My goal was to make an external hard drive for storage.
Spent time with 19.1Xfce and I may have found something to run the Pogo game site on and so far tonight it didn't hang and cause me to lose the game.

·
Administrator
59,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
glad I quit....
I had forgotten that I need to make a Win10 Recovery media disk also, just as a 2nd backup to Macrium Reflect. I am a believer in lots of insurance.

Also, I want to have Win10 Shrink the partition as much as possible, just leaving enough room for TurboTax data...

Plus I need to turn OFF, Fast Start, that screws up Linux.

Most likely, in a few months I will get tired of the dual booting, and redo the whole thing as just Linux.... but in the meantime, I will play with the new toy. :|

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
Some times you just have to walk away from it. If one of mine frustrates me, I put it in the bag and back on the shelf and select another one.
When I had my original Windows 7 laptop set up to dual boot if I wasn't paying attention I would be running 7 instead of Linux and now you know the reason why I have so many laptops. Each has its own OS and some have 2 independent ones.

·
Administrator
59,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
well, it won't let me turn off SecureBoot and therefore, it won't let me install Linux.
Tried twice, gave up for tonight.

also, they have removed the Recovery Media from the Control Panel....
so my Macrium Reflect image is all I get.

·
Administrator
59,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I thought I had that turned OFF, but it is tricky making it stay off.

this time, with a fresh mind not sleep logged, did it again.
it is now showing OFF, but the install is still hanging up.

the 1st link you show, is for an older BIOS, the video is the correct version.
I actually followed that 1st link before I saw your video and when I got to the last stage, the menu for Legacy does not show up. argh!

IIRC, I read in another post that the USB thumb drive must be made as an UEFI drive, mine is a Legacy USB stick.

back later.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts