Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
They're sure making it hard for computer users to make changes.
I suppose for someone who sets on a bench, and does this stuff everyday, it is not problem for them.

they know all of the prerequisites, and are prepared to go before they start.

I'm going forward the same way I always did before, and there are "firewalls up" to keep me from doing what I want.

Now I need to research how to make that UEFI based thumb drive to install Linux Mint with.... argh!

we have a long time friend of mine coming to visit for 10 days, so my free time to work on this is limited... no hurry really I suppose, my old laptop still works "when it want to" :frown2:
he and I were work buddies for 18 years with Phoenix Fire Department. He retired last Dec 30 and has been planning this trip for a year now.

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
Someone in a shop would know all the steps to get into it.
I don't even think Tom would know about UEFI as he's been out of the business for many years and hasn't kept up. My books are old and my biggest one only mentions BIOS and one stops at XP and the other for Windows 7.
I'd get frustrated fast and then be trying to find a newer book to work on it. I know when I viewed the video he mentioned the F17 key and I thought to myself wtf.
By chance is it a Coffee Lake processor? They give them a strange name.

That's great to get some time and unwind with friends.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Someone in a shop would know all the steps to get into it.
I don't even think Tom would know about UEFI as he's been out of the business for many years and hasn't kept up. My books are old and my biggest one only mentions BIOS and one stops at XP and the other for Windows 7.
I'd get frustrated fast and then be trying to find a newer book to work on it. I know when I viewed the video he mentioned the F17 key and I thought to myself wtf.
By chance is it a Coffee Lake processor? They give them a strange name.

That's great to get some time and unwind with friends.

I heard that too, and played it over and over, and when I looked at the screen, the F7 key is the one for that function.

he was talking by rote, not a written script.

it didn't help that his accent is foreign to my ears, and with Tinnitus, I have trouble with stuff like that. that is why when I read news reports, I turn the AutoPlay on videos off, and only read the text.

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
I went back and watched the video and listen even more carefully and it sounded more like F7. The person making the video must be from India. Looking at what was opened up, you'd have to go through it slowly and read everything. It looks like a challenge,
Maybe this would be an idea: https://rufus.ie/

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Okay,

looking at the Failed Message it says Failed to Detect GPU

so, I just took a big leap and decided that 18.3 kernels don't know how to handle this newest Intel cpu/gpu

so, I made up a 19.1 ISO and it booted up to the Live Session.

Now I have to decide how I want to proceed.
Alongside Windows, or just make it all Linux..... ?

it is way to late tonight to make that kind of decision, I am going to bed, it is now 04/25/2019 03:49

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Soooo.....the guy sounds like he's from India, is he the same guy that calls me to say that I have a problem with my computer and to turn it on so he can fix it?>:)

yup, the one who told me a couple days ago that my computer has a worm in it, and he can fix it for me.... he said Windows is bad....
and I said, "duh guy, my computer is LInux"

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
more problems:

told it to install, but it only see 38gB of a 500gB SSD, so I can't delete the partitions and make it one full 500gB partition for Linux.
sigh! wishing I had chose an Acer like I did for Cyndi.

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
Is there any way to install a second HDD or SSD in it? Or would you have to buy another drive and switch them? Is it one of those laptops with a sealed base, no trap doors?

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
the bottom can come off.
they actually inclosed 4 extra screws for the bottom in a tiny plastic baggie.

since it is a gaming pc, they know folks are going to loose screws. I will have to tape them to a large sheet of paper and tack them to the wallboard in my office.

I have been thinking to format an SSD in another laptop, and then exchange it with the one in the new laptop. don't know how the BIOS will react to that change though?

this BIOS is one super vicious piece of gear, I guess I am going to have to hit the owners forums?

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
It might work, as I had done similar with an old white Apple laptop. I installed Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce on it via a Dell and then installed the drive back into the laptop and it worked. I couldn't access the BIOS or whatever Apple used on it and gave that a try. It worked for quite some time until I lent it to a neighbor who wanted to see if they could use a laptop, then it was returned to me three days later after they spilled something on it and it shorted out taking the surge protector with it.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
so frustrating, I have given up on installing Linux until after my friend is gone.
we were working buddies for 18 years, and he will be here tomorrow for a couple weeks.

has his own RV and truck.... kids are grown and on their own...... their mom took off for greener pastures 30 years ago.... a shame. he never remarried after that.

this is the new laptop on Winders.
it is FAST!!! that is for sure, and the screen is easy on the eyes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If he's that good of a friend, he will understand... :D

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
I thought about you and the new laptop you purchased when I was working on the donated Acer Aspire that is going to the Cedars apartment complex for the residents to use. The people who donated it did a factory reset, but did not include recovery media so I'll make that for them just in case someone mangles the hard drive. So I hooked them up with a Firefox browser, the Pogo game site and 4 games they don't have to play on line. I hope they like it when its done.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
the new ASUS TUF Gaming laptop is so friggin fast even on Win10, I could get along with it just fine.....:surprise:
Right up until the MS updates arrive and ruin everything.:frown2:

I will continue to work on it, it will one day, wake up and discover that Win10 is dead. :|

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
That's what I did to the $89.00 Toshiba they installed 10 on, I showed 10 the door and 18.3Xfce was installed, now that same laptop is running 18.3 Cinnamon. I'm sure there's a way to install the Cinnamon on the new laptop its just a matter of opening the right doors.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well, this is the new ASUS TUF Gaming laptop running Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
not crazy about 19.1 but it is the only version Mint that I have been able to boot up and actually install something.

will keep trying to get 18.3 on it, have not given up yet, but it is running Linux!!!

but, on the way to the party, the rules got really bent.

the BIOS absolutely keeps the OEM SSD hidden from Linux....
I am going to have to do a lot of research on this, I have read one thread where a guy actually busted the BIOS and got access to the OEM SSD.

BTW, you can't touch that SSD, it is buried out of sight, below a huge metal cooler contraption, so just removing it, and install a blank one won't work.

then when I booted up the ISO, it found that 2nd SSD and installed Mint there, when I rebooted the machine, it came straight up into Linux Mint, just like I want, so Win10 is still hidden on the OEM SSD. I am assuming that F2 and F8 will allow me to choose what I want to boot into, at least that is how I was able to get the USB ISO to boot up....

I just now, 10 minutes before I logged in here, got Linux running, and Firefox configured so it knows me..... LastPass installed, and uBlock Origin is installed.

have not had time to fine tune anything..... so, the next time I turn it off, I will attempt to boot into Win10 and see if Dual Boot is a real item, or if the 2nd SSD is the only thing working??

I discovered a neat feature when I took the bottom off of it and could NOT find the SSD anywhere. But, I did find a blank HDD bay and plugged in a spare 120gB SSD there.
If this thing is actually Dual Bootable, I will just replace the 2nd SSD with a 1TB version and just keep on keeping on, and let it be. that will allow me to install some Windows only programs, such as TurboTax.... that feature would make it worth while for me to have it dual boot.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts