Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
58,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well well well.......
Looking at this picture, and the fact that it took about an hour for this thing to install Linux, and the way it is describing the drives.......

I think that that the BIOS is merging the 1st SSD with the 2nd SSD, as one extended device.

I am going to watch for sales on SSDs and find a 1TB model so that I can have two 500 gB partitions for Linux......

my older laptop has two 250gB partitions for does just fine, although it is almost out of space on the 2nd partition which is used for backups of everything.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
With that feature of a second hdd/ssd bay you'll have a similar set up to my Dells where both OSs have their own. 19.1Xfce is running on the second drive on the Dell and if I remember right there was a file UEFI on it.
That may be the way to go, let them have their own drives and then you choose which one to boot from.
I put a 500GB hard drive in the Toshiba for 18.3 Cinnamon and it has plenty of room to grow.
It would be interesting if the second drive is running the show and if removed the main one takes over.
In the picture the green is Windows and the blue is Linux with some filled in light orange.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Well well well.......
Looking at this picture, and the fact that it took about an hour for this thing to install Linux, and the way it is describing the drives.......

I think that that the BIOS is merging the 1st SSD with the 2nd SSD, as one extended device.

I am going to watch for sales on SSDs and find a 1TB model so that I can have two 500 gB partitions for Linux......

my older laptop has two 250gB partitions for does just fine, although it is almost out of space on the 2nd partition which is used for backups of everything.
GParted doesn't see /dev/sdb which is where Windows would be living?

·
Administrator
58,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
GParted doesn't see /dev/sdb which is where Windows would be living?

Ken,
that is exactly the battle that I have been fighting all along.
When the ISO live session of Linux comes up, it is not allowed to see the /dev/sda drive which is what Win10 is on.

Now, later, after that post, I kept trying over and over different ways to get Linux to install, and for some reason, if you take the initial default way ( does not give you options to 1) erase all, or 2) something else.....
then later it gives you that screen where it shows how the mixture is going to be divided up, and only 29 gB is available and it complains that Linux can't install....

so, Back up to the 1st options menu and ?? holy cow, it gives me the option to install to /dev/sdb and it installs normally with "erase all"

it reboots directly up into Linux after that.
I looked at Gparted again, and holy cow, with 19.1 Tessa running it can see /dev/sda and it shows the UEFI partitions....

right there, I wanted to unmount that sucker and format the whole thing, and then try to do a new install and get it going.

but, I didn't, I shut it down which hung up stating that it has timed out more than 120 seconds trying to write to xzy something or other....

so, I used BIOS force power off, rebooted, and used F8 to select what boots and it shows Windows on 1) and Ubuntu on 2)
Hmmmm, wonder if Windows is still a viable install? so, it boots up Windows just fine but it takes a long long time to get to the desktop???

yup, that is when Windows "repaired" the OEM SSD and screwed up the boot for the 19.1 Linux install.... it won't run the 2nd SSD now...

I am going to have to use the SuperBootFix ISO to USB stick method now I think.... with house company, I have not got back to it yet.
https://www.supergrubdisk.org/

hope to be able to work on it soon.... really really would love to just format the OEM SSD and be done with Windows now.. it is way too much trouble to use the BIOS to select what you want to run.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
Did you ever get the Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon to run on that new laptop?
I'll be down sizing the fleet by one soon, the Dell E6320 is being decommissioned. I like the look and feel of the E6410 better.
I'm also running a new internet provider that for 3 months costs $45.00, its slow but good and its for low income individuals. My Social Security of $538.00 month got me approved overnight.

·
Administrator
58,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
No,
I did not. It will load up 19.2 handily but I detest 19.2

What really pisses me off big time, is two weeks ago during the Tornado Shelter runs, I was looking for a bag to store all of my backup hard drives in.

Pulled that bag off the top shelf, and damn, is it ever heavy??
Opened it up, and I found the same exact laptop from 10 years ago.
Same damn appearance, only it is 15" instead of a 17".

Turned it on and it had some version of Linux on it already, from about 2010.
I had bought it for my daughter as a replacement for her ultra old, and slow, Sony.
She refused to use it because it is so damn heavy.

Now, the nut cruncher is, being as it is 10 years old, Mint 18.3 immediately recognized the video card and loaded up fast!

So, now I have a $1,000 play toy that I don't want....
so, what to hell do I do with it? will try to sell it, but it won't bring what I paid for it.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
That sux that it cannot be converted to 18.3 and you'll take a beating on it if you sell it. May I suggest that you wait until they bring out Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon and give it a try, I wasn't happy with the 19.1 Cinnamon either. The 18.3 Cinnamon and the Toshiba work well together.
Now the 19.1Xfce works great and it will be used as an external drive for a triple set up on the Dell E6410. The Dell runs Peppermint9 and Windows7, I was getting tired of swapping laptops just to use the Word program I like better with the older type fonts and the printer.
Now the Dell E6410 goes from a 'Double Decker' to a 'Triple Threat' laptop.
The nut cruncher sounds like the old 16" Toshiba L505-S6962 that I have, that's the one that runs the cross stitch program, heavy old monster but it does the job.

·
Administrator
58,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well,
pulled the older ASUS out of mothballs, and using it with Win10, as it somehow lost the Unbuntu install..... thought I had replaced that with 18.3 Cinnamon, but guess not.

there is one thing that I am really enjoying big time. THE DISPLAY IS SHARP as a tack!!!

I wish there was a way to show y'all in High Def what this thing looks like.
It is at least twice as sharp as my old ASUS thin notebook laptop....
and the one big thing that I was looking for, was a display that looks the same, whether you are looking down from the top of the screen, or from the center of the screen, or from the left or right sides.

on the thinbook, if you want to view a pix in hi-def, you have to pull the screen towards you and view it from a slightly higher angle.

if you want to read text in sharp black and white, you have to push the screen back about 3 inches.... very annoying, and gives me a headache.

the WiFi adapter in this TUF Gaming laptop has not missed a beat once......
plus it has a 5g WiFi radio in it, which allows it to transfer data faster than the 2.4g in the thinbook.

the thinbook internal WiFi adapter is a piece of crap, and noted so by folks on the forums.... it needs to be replaced with a different model.

guess I need to make this thing a clone of my thinbook, so that I have access to all of the data/pictures/PDFs/Videos

·
Administrator
58,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
No, I have not gotten back to that one yet.

This is the same brand and model, but 10 years old.
the one I bought for my daughter.

I forgot that we had it.
I am using it in Win10 mode.

Does not have Linux on it.

Had I remembered it, never would have bought the the new version.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts