Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Folks, coming home last night I hit a pot hole and jarred the bike. When this occured it blew the main breaker off of the battery. I replaced and all works except for the Blinkers. The Flashers work great. I then swapped the relays between the flasher and the blinkers and it did not remedy the problem. I then checked the hand controls and all appears to function correctly, could my problem be a cancel relay or am I out to lunch on this one. Any help welcomed.

HAve a 1985 1200 Interstate

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

If you have or can get a Clymers manual, there is a very detailed troubleshooting section for the signal lights that will narrow it down and identify the bad component. I used it to diagnose a problem and it was right on. Unfortunately I'm at work right now or I could scan it and send it too you.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No I do not have a Clymers Manual but if you can , maybe you can scan and send to myself that would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I used the Haynes manual and about all it had for troubleshooting was to swap the relays from the blinkers and the flashers since the flashers work. I have tested and power is at the flashers but I do not know the test procedure for the nine pin connector under the flase tank on the left hand side.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Paul1096 wrote:
Folks, coming home last night I hit a pot hole and jarred the bike. When this occured it blew the main breaker off of the battery. I replaced and all works except for the Blinkers. The Flashers work great. I then swapped the relays between the flasher and the blinkers and it did not remedy the problem. I then checked the hand controls and all appears to function correctly, could my problem be a cancel relay or am I out to lunch on this one. Any help welcomed.

HAve a 1985 1200 Interstate
Did you check the fuse box under the false tank???? And if you have the fairing on did you check under the left pocket for the inline fuse????

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I did check the fuse box and the fuses there are fine. The in line fuse in the left side fairing- not sure where that is but if you are refering to the two fuse under the the left side under the box located inside the fairing I did check both and are fine. If I'm looking in the wrong place please lert me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Okay,

I have checked all fuses and have ohmed out the switch and the switch is working. I have swapped the relays from the Flashers with the blinker and still no lights. The flashers do work however and I have inspected the bulbs and all is well. Where else could the problem be, I'm stumped. Is there a self canceling relay or anything else that could cause my problem.

Need Help.

I checked the wiring and can find no short but is there anything else I should be looking at.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Teacher,

Well I think I have checked everything I can think of but I was wondering if the cancel relay could be bad and causing my problem.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I read all this........you have not checked for power in the actual bulb socket. Use your voltmeter and check to see if power is actually getting to the socket. If so, just put in a couple new bulbs.....If no power to one of the sockets....neither will work......if no power.....do a continuity check on the wires.....all it can be is either a bad wire. or bad bulbs...Kit

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well bulbs are good and the I verified via the Flashers so it appears that the problem is either in the wiring or I've missed something which could be. I will start over at the switch and see if I can trace it back.

I did take out the bulb and confirm but still nothing. Somewhere I'm losing pwr and I will have to trace it back.

Could the Cancel unit be bad? and if so where is it located?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I will try and copy the troubleshooting guide from my Clymer manual and e-mail it to you. If it is the cancel unit, it is located in the center post of the triple tree and you have to remove it from the bottom. I had to change mine and it wasn't a lot of fun. They aren't cheap either if you have to buy new. I was lucky and got a used one for a good price. PM me your personal e-mail and I will get the troubleshooting pages to you as soon as I can. I should be able to do it tomorrow night from work.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I appreciate the help. When the fuse blew I drove for about a mile and That was off the stator and it may have caused some damage. I think it might be the Cancel relay but don't really have a good method to troubleshoot.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I will get it to you tonight. I have to get to work to get it copied and scanned. It will come in .pdf format.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I'm watching this thread closely.

I'm dealing with the same thing myself. Can't really recall hitting any bump, but I know that they quit, then started again and then quit.

I too have checked all the fuses and wiggled all the wires. I have emerg. flashers and running lights, just no turn signals.

I haven't started tracking down thru the wiring yet, there is alot of extra wiring from the P/O's.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Paul, the stuff has been sent. Let me know if you get it OK.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Earl, PM me your e-mail and I'll send it your way also.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks for the Email, I am hoping to have some time this weekend to dig into the problem as it appears that it will be raining most the weekend and I am scheduled to be home. Again thanks for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thought I would let you know the PDF file you sent was perfect. For some reason the problem was my Cancel relay and it appears that the problem is that I lost the ground through the relay. I disconnected the relay and applied a ground to the cicuit and my blinkers now work. Anyone got a cancel relay for a 1985 GL1200 Interstate. LOL.:weightlifter:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.