Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just picked up a 1982 GL1100. I've been going through everything, catching up the maintenance and the recommended upgrades. I can't figure out my blinkers though. They blink at about twice the normal rate. And when a blinker blinks it is as if the blinker robs power from the other lights that are lit up, they dim as the blink happens.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
imported post

Hi. Usually when a light goes on and the others dim it is the ground that is bad. When it comes to wings you first have the fast connector check the cinnectors, the other place to look and this is difficult is the solder point where the ground wire joines the harness inside the fairing. It can also be that the wires are in need to be changed since all cables degrades with age and use, this is very common if you use cables of differant metals like copper and/or aluminium.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Double rate blink can also mean a burned out turn signal bulb. The dimming of the other bulbs does sound like a bad ground as Jocke said. Check the bulb sockets too, corrosion there can cause similar problems.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

You may also get a faster blink if there is a heavy duty flasher installed. Lets say if there used to be a trailer then they may have had a heavy duty flasher.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Great, thanks to all. I'll get out my meter and start testing. At one point the previous owner replaced the hi-lo beam switch. Looks like something got quite hot all the way down that loom because the insulation on the wires look kind of melted. Also the wires won't tin up, corrosion possibly, or just old. If the wires have poor conductivity will that make the blinkers blink too fast? It probably dosen't make for a very good ground either.

Thanks,

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.